Petrol Mower not working - Suggestions?

nicolac34

So we've had our petrol 4 stroke mower for under 7 months and it's now not working.

Hubby has tried most things he can think of (although not mechanically minded) he's checked the petrol and the oil and changed the spark plug. Having been out and spent $100 on a socket set to change the spark plug and it make no difference I'm beginning to wish we had our old trusty orange electric mower back!

Now the local service center says it's $99 + parts to service it and a 2-3 week wait.

We only paid $200 for the thing from Bunnings so all this extra cost is getting annoying!

Any suggestions?

It's a "Sprinter" model if that helps!

So we've had our petrol 4 stroke mower for under 7 months and it's now not working.

Hubby has tried most things he can think of (although not mechanically minded) he's checked the petrol and the oil and changed the spark plug. Having been out and spent $100 on a socket set to change the spark plug and it make no difference I'm beginning to wish we had our old trusty orange electric mower back!

Now the local service center says it's $99 + parts to service it and a 2-3 week wait.

We only paid $200 for the thing from Bunnings so all this extra cost is getting annoying!

Any suggestions?

It's a "Sprinter" model if that helps!

If it is only six months old, take it back to Bunnings.

Is Fuel tap switched on? Is the choke off or on? Has he flooded it? Does it turn over when he pulls the chord or presses the start button?

could be a multitude of things. Has he got a fault finding section in the manual?

Can't find the manual either to be honest, which makes me think the receipt is with it. Might have to turn the house upside down later and look for it.

It doesn't turn over at all, just makes a weak 'putt putt' sound.

Having done a bit of googling I think maybe the fuel might be the issue? We've had the same fuel in the tank since we bought it in April.

I have a sprinter from bunnings too....with the Briggs and Stratton engine. It's green and was quite cheap.

The throttle cable on mine is a bit dodgy, and it is prone to getting debris in the fuel. Both these things would/could cause poor running and starting.

Take the spark plug out, and squirt some WD40 into the chamber. Replace the plug and try to start it. If it fires up for a few seconds, drain the fuel from it, and put fresh fuel in there. ( Not from the can that you last filled it from, if there is still fuel in it. Use fresh petrol) With the fresh fuel in there, prime it, put some more WD4o into the chamber, and give it another go.

Thanks for the suggestions, will give them a go before forking out $500+ for a decent one!

How do you dispose of old fuel you aren't using? Can I put it in my Pajero or is it going to break that too?! It's been stored in an air tight jerry can, less than 5 litres.

I would, but I can't find the receipt. Which is crazy, I keep receipts for everything!

And that's why you buy everything you can from Costco, as receipts aren't required and they replace anything without asking any questions. I guess there isn't a Costco in Perth..........

Thanks for the suggestions, will give them a go before forking out $500+ for a decent one!

How do you dispose of old fuel you aren't using? Can I put it in my Pajero or is it going to break that too?! It's been stored in an air tight jerry can, less than 5 litres.

tip it down a funnel web hole and light it. That will sort them out ;)

You have some good tips there and sounds like if you can get it sorted yourself then it may just be worth getting rid and getting a new one. To fix it may well cost you the same as the original purchase price. I would go back into the bunnings store and speak to them. do you have your bank or credit card statement that would show the transaction? if you get a helpful assistant they may be able to do something for you if the prices all match up and are feeling nice.

hi guys

Briggs and stratton are an international brand of workhorse motors and one of the best so..... should not give much trouble

1, put new fuel in 2 ,use the old plug lay it with the threads touching the metal engine connect the plug lead to old plug try to start you should see a fat healthy spark (if not suspect the lead or the kill switch)

3, prime the carb tap it a few times try to start with the plug lead lead still off take out the spark plug if it is wet and smells of fuel all is good clean it and refit the plug it should have a gap of about 1 mm

4, take the air filter off (normally two long Bolts) again try to start that is about all you can do as a hobbyist with little knowledge Sorry if that does not work it will have to be the local small machine garage cheers good luck could always buy a goat LOL

Well yesterday we finally got around to putting some of the suggestions into practice. Emptied the old fuel into a sandpit (and set fire to it to dispose of - was standing nearby with a fire extinguisher just in case, but was all gone in a matter of minutes) and got rid of the old fuel in the jerry can.

Bought some new fuel and put that in, still not starting. Put some WD40 in the spark plug chamber and tried again, thought it wasn't going to work but on the 4th attempt it looked like starting.... 5th attempt and we had life!!!

So the grass is now cut short and we don't have to spend another $500 on a new mower.

So fuel goes off, who knew?! :biggrin:

Archived