Why did I ever come here? (ruminations on the 3rd November, 1978, my arrival date!)

MARYROSE02

Breaking up the family, that's the thought that most consumes me today. Me first, then brother Neil, and finally brother Michael, leaving Mum and Dad at home alone, with Nana, (whom I never saw again after saying goodbye to her at Gatwick.)

I'm hardly unique, though! Australia is (always) full of people who have left home, some never to return. Perhaps it's the thought of having 'ripped' up, no, 'uprooted' myself from my nice little village life, cushy job with the Council, pleasant family life.

Doesn't do to 'dwell' on what might have been, does it!? And my parents got to see Australia, and make contact with long lost family in NZ. I did get to 'turn back time', after a fashion, going back for a few years.

Too many platitudes and cliches! And I won't go back now, possibly not even for a holiday.

Breaking up the family, that's the thought that most consumes me today. Me first, then brother Neil, and finally brother Michael, leaving Mum and Dad at home alone, with Nana, (whom I never saw again after saying goodbye to her at Gatwick.)

I'm hardly unique, though! Australia is (always) full of people who have left home, some never to return. Perhaps it's the thought of having 'ripped' up, no, 'uprooted' myself from my nice little village life, cushy job with the Council, pleasant family life.

Doesn't do to 'dwell' on what might have been, does it!? And my parents got to see Australia, and make contact with long lost family in NZ. I did get to 'turn back time', after a fashion, going back for a few years.

Too many platitudes and cliches! And I won't go back now, possibly not even for a holiday.

Hmmm, trying to read between the lines, but it's not coming to me.......................

The world was a different place in 1978 – no internet for a start.

And the outlook for the UK looked pretty bleak at the time..the economy was in dire straits and the UK really was the 'sick man of Europe'

Fireman had been out for 3 months

Ford and BL out all the time (remember Red Robbo?)

Yorkshire ripper on the prowl

IRA bombings.

Inflation pushing 10%

Labour in power under Jim Callaghan in a minority government…

If you were young, it all seemed to be nothing but doom and gloom, without much of a future in the UK at that time, so who wouldn’t have wanted to go to a sunny haven of tranquillity and opportunities on the other side of the world?

There is one thing I have found in life going back is never the same as the first time around, so no going back, always forward, cannot change the past and living it makes us unhappy. Today and forward is the way to go.

So true Petals, I will keep reminding myself of this if the going gets tough

Metoo x

Hmmm, trying to read between the lines, but it's not coming to me.......................

I think he's probably feeling the way I was a few weks ago.........................it's an "age thing" I reckon..........................what might have been..................what could have been..................best left well alone and concentrate on what you have, not what you might have had..................easier said than done though.

We've just been back after over 5 years here and 2 things struck me;

1. If we did ever move back, it wouldn't be the same as when we left. So there would be no point hankering for it

2. For 98% of the people I spoke to there, it took them about 8 seconds to tell me what they'd done with their lives in the past 5 years

The world was a different place in 1978 – no internet for a start.

And the outlook for the UK looked pretty bleak at the time..the economy was in dire straits and the UK really was the 'sick man of Europe'

Fireman had been out for 3 months

Ford and BL out all the time (remember Red Robbo?)

Yorkshire ripper on the prowl

IRA bombings.

Inflation pushing 10%

Labour in power under Jim Callaghan in a minority government…

If you were young, it all seemed to be nothing but doom and gloom, without much of a future in the UK at that time, so who wouldn’t have wanted to go to a sunny haven of tranquillity and opportunities on the other side of the world?

Between the doom and gloom was a great music scene and in the case of London a politically conscious population. Actually pretty good times to be young in UK. Oz a little on the dull side.

There is one thing I have found in life going back is never the same as the first time around, so no going back, always forward, cannot change the past and living it makes us unhappy. Today and forward is the way to go.

Abso bloomin' lutely spot on.

Go forward and you can see your way, turn around and you can fall R sover tittlemouse.

Cheers, Bobj.

We've just been back after over 5 years here and 2 things struck me;

1. If we did ever move back, it wouldn't be the same as when we left. So there would be no point hankering for it

2. For 98% of the people I spoke to there, it took them about 8 seconds to tell me what they'd done with their lives in the past 5 years

:laugh:............is that 8 seconds with a stutter.....?

Between the doom and gloom was a great music scene and in the case of London a politically conscious population. Actually pretty good times to be young in UK. Oz a little on the dull side.

Perth might have been a 'little dull' but it certainly wasn't on the East Coast!

Your arrival date in Oz was pretty much my arrival date on Earth! I hope that in 35 years I'll be able to look back on my decision to bring my family to Australia with no regrets :)

I hope that in 35 years I will just be still able to look back! I don't regret coming to Oz. There are far too many positive experiences and new friends made. In the pub last night for,quiz (Strawberry Hills) Laura, Chris, Beth, Jamie behind the bar and Dani running Quiz all know my,name. Jamie sold me my,Melbourne Cup winning,ticket so I bought,him chocolate on a spoon Thing,in shop at Penrith (cost nearly five times my win of $1.30 but I never bet on the winner before!)

Perth might have been a 'little dull' but it certainly wasn't on the East Coast!

1963-1980 Kimberlies..WOW!! Adventure personified...for those who had the guts, that is...instead of farting around piddling against pub walls on a friday night.

bigemo_harabe_net-163.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

I have never regretted my move to WA from England..... I lived in England right through the 70's and 80's and yes it was tough financially, but we did OK and bought a house and had two kids along the way. We just learnt to do without stuff. Perth in the 90's wasn't great either financially, so I guess we just assumed that life would be hard and you had to work for what you wanted. Loving life in Perth though and wouldn't change a thing.... all those lessons taught us that you get what you work for and you appreciate every single thing. Maybe life is too easy these days for Gen Y ??? Just a thought!!!

Archived