Need to have a rant!

sunnygirl34

We're currently in a bit of a limbo/tricky situation.

My husband, daughter and I came to Sydney just over 3 years ago on a 457 visa, which we have since changed to PR. . As great as this is, my husband is out of work and after looking for about 6 months he's struggling to find something suitable. (He is a Chartered Accountant) Whilst he is busy going for interviews regulary, nothing has been offered and we now face moving back to the UK. Our savings are going down and down and we just can't keep going as we are.

We'll be real sad to leave, we've made some good friends whilst living here and love the lifestyle.

If we do decide to go back we need to put this in plan soon, maybe Jan/Feb. (so we can enjoy the summer before heading back) We'd like to see a bit more of NSW and have put together a realistic bucket list of things to do.

I guess the reason for this post is to get the thoughts in my head (which have all gone to mush) down in writing and to hear your opinions.

If we do return we'll be living with the in-laws initially whilst my husband looks for work. Then we'll move where the work is and hopefully buy a house. There are advantages to moving back, ie house affordability, family support etc, but there are alot we'll miss.

This may sound silly, but i cant help but worry how i'll feel that first morning back after waking up in the UK. I feel I live in a bubble here, Im so happy. We have so much fun at the beach, by the pool etc. It wouldnt be the same back home and i worry how i'll find the dreary weather. Dont get me wrong there is more to life than weather, i know! Since living here ive had many dreams that we've moved back and i've woken up all panicked. I worry we'll be making a hug mistake, but then again we dont really have much option. I must sound crazy!! We cant afford to live here much longer with no income.

Thanks for reading!

Not really. My husband has spoken with many recruitment agents, some in Melbourne for example and they have said how slow the jobs market is. Financially it wouldn't work for us. ie relocating, airfares to interviews etc. He's quite specialized in the work he does and he finds Sydney to have the best job criteria. He seems to get positive feedback each time, but the employers seem to be more keen to take on 'local' experience. Well thats the feedback we're getting anyway.

If you really want to stay you may have to find different jobs to what your used to? and perhaps accept pay cut?.live in cheaper area?..but then you might not enjoy aus so much and prefer to return to uk anyway..cant be a nice situation..hope he finds something soon

I liked your post because while I'm not in the same situation as you, which does sound truely awful, I just no I wold be having the same thoughts as you.

even when Ive had down days and felt like I wanted the familiarity of the UK, when I actually think about it I know that I would always be hankering for exactly the same things that you mention that Oz gives you.

as you've said it's out of your hands, we can't live on fresh air. As you've got PR, is there anyway you could go back, hopefully OH gets work but you rent rather than buy say for 1 year, and keep looking for work back here, or somewhere else that would give the same kind of lifestyle, while saving some money? It's just a thought, as he is obviously capable of getting work here just now doesn't seem to be great on job front but that could all change.

who knows though you may love being back and all those doubts never materialise.

it must be a lot easier for those who don't like or fall out of love with Oz, not so good when you quite like it.

hope it all turns out god for you xx

So the only thing you will gain by returning as free accommodation for a while? Then your husband has to look for work just as he's doing now and you are prepared to move to wherever the work is in the UK but not somewhere different in Oz? I have no ideas as to what to suggest although your gut instinct is telling you to stay. However, you sound as though you are still young and have a lifetime ahead of you to explore the world and change your minds which is to your advantage so it doesn't have to be the end of Australia if you do return to the UK for work, so perhaps you should look at it that way? I would encourage him to expand his limitations though within the Accountancy profession even if it means doing auditing for a while.

If you have to go back, are you able to hang on here till March/April? Going back to UK & hating weather will be doubly hard in UK winter. I have just spent Apr- Sep in UK and loved it. Sure it was an exceptional summer but you still have the light evenings. We will be heading back to UK ultimately as like your hubby, I struggle to find work. I love the UK and have had 7 years here, so am pragmatic about returning - we simply can't afford Australia any more. Your hubby may find work much easier to get in UK - and don't forget holidays to sunny places are much cheaper than from here. As someone else said, you can always save up and return - are you near your 4 years for citizenship? Might be worth working in Bunning etc to hold off for that if you can!

So the only thing you will gain by returning as free accommodation for a while? Then your husband has to look for work just as he's doing now and you are prepared to move to wherever the work is in the UK but not somewhere different in Oz? I have no ideas as to what to suggest although your gut instinct is telling you to stay. However, you sound as though you are still young and have a lifetime ahead of you to explore the world and change your minds which is to your advantage so it doesn't have to be the end of Australia if you do return to the UK for work, so perhaps you should look at it that way? I would encourage him to expand his limitations though within the Accountancy profession even if it means doing auditing for a while.

I must admit, this was closest to my thoughts as I read the first post. It is not like there is a job to go back to in the UK, so it is unemployment here or there. It doesn't sound like you are ready to go back yet and I do think it is entirely possible that you are going to end up regretting it, based on the feelings you have explained. I would stick it out here as long as you can..

At least you're assessing the situation as you go along, which is the responsible way to go. Some people just drift along until a decision is forced upon them. I've got to agree that taking any job would be preferential right now. Ideally a job within a larger organisation that may have better vacancies come up later. A lot of people make this kind of pragmatic career break. I really don't think that future employers would see this on your husbands CV and think he's given up on accountancy. Probably even goes the other way; they see that he's the kind of guy who gets his hands dirty when the going gets tough.

BTW, there wasn't much rant in your post. But I guess the title "Need to have a rational discussion about circumstances that could affect 90% of the migrants on this board" wouldn't fit.

My thoughts too - we moved back to the UK without work because we wanted to be in the UK (& luckily work followed quickly afterwards) but moving back without a job because you can't get a job in Australia doesn't make a lot of sense. I guess you do have to decide how much you want to stay - McJobs pay surprisingly well in Australia - bar work, waiter/essing, barista can pay in excess of $20 an hour - surely worth doing to stem the flow of funds from savings even if you do end up going back in the end.

Surely the cost of returning to the UK is much more than moving interstate?

Nothing would persuade me to leave the UK to move back to Australia, so whatever happens here I will go with it and find a way to survive - if you are 'so happy' in Australia find a way to survive until work comes. You can't always get the job you want and sometime the best opportunities come from the most challenging situations.

Good luck - the UK isn't that bad you know, if you do decide to come back :)

Feel for you but like others have said is it not possible to change career. There were many articles a few years ago saying that people of the future had to be prepared to change careers at least four times in their life with the new order of things. Could he work from home, ad in the local paper doing hack accountancy many people make a good income that way. May also open up other opportunities, networking etc.

You do not say what you do? Do you work, I know we both worked so there was never going to be a problem if one of us was out of work.

Good luck

We're currently in a bit of a limbo/tricky situation.

My husband, daughter and I came to Sydney just over 3 years ago on a 457 visa, which we have since changed to PR. . As great as this is, my husband is out of work and after looking for about 6 months he's struggling to find something suitable. (He is a Chartered Accountant) Whilst he is busy going for interviews regulary, nothing has been offered and we now face moving back to the UK. Our savings are going down and down and we just can't keep going as we are.

We'll be real sad to leave, we've made some good friends whilst living here and love the lifestyle.

If we do decide to go back we need to put this in plan soon, maybe Jan/Feb. (so we can enjoy the summer before heading back) We'd like to see a bit more of NSW and have put together a realistic bucket list of things to do.

I guess the reason for this post is to get the thoughts in my head (which have all gone to mush) down in writing and to hear your opinions.

If we do return we'll be living with the in-laws initially whilst my husband looks for work. Then we'll move where the work is and hopefully buy a house. There are advantages to moving back, ie house affordability, family support etc, but there are alot we'll miss.

This may sound silly, but i cant help but worry how i'll feel that first morning back after waking up in the UK. I feel I live in a bubble here, Im so happy. We have so much fun at the beach, by the pool etc. It wouldnt be the same back home and i worry how i'll find the dreary weather. Dont get me wrong there is more to life than weather, i know! Since living here ive had many dreams that we've moved back and i've woken up all panicked. I worry we'll be making a hug mistake, but then again we dont really have much option. I must sound crazy!! We cant afford to live here much longer with no income.

Thanks for reading!

I have recently returned to the UK with my OH and daughter after 6 yrs in Aus. When i read your post i thought how much your thoughts reflected my own.

Returning to the UK was something we had thought about for a while. We wanted our daughter to spend time with family, we missed family, friends, the familiarity of the place etc. ;the usual things people usually cite as reasons for returning. Plus our income / savings were going down as like you my OH had been out of work 6 + months, the yr before we left. Likewise, before we left Aus we did a 2 week road trip up the coast from melbourne to Sydney as this was something we wanted to do before we left.

Since returning to the UK, i must say that we are so glad we took up citizenship in Aus before we left. This is because, although we are enjoying it back here in England, we are sure we will return to Aus in the future. Yes family support is great, but the UK climate is not that great (both weather wise and job wise), well thats what we have found anyway. We have been staying with in laws and i can say that its been appreciated, but at times difficult - especially when you've been an independent family for several yrs on the other side of the world. We have now secured jobs, but again that took some time.

The cost of staying in Aus may seem high, but relocating back to the UK and having to re-establish yourselves again can be even greater (financial suicide may be an appropriate term here!). I have found that salaries are lower here (I know its all relative given the lower cost of living) but i think the work opportunities are still greater in Aus. Plus, i have found the weather really difficult to cope with as its now very cold and raining most days, which i am not used to and the lack of brightness and blue skies is noticeable.

It has also made me aware just how many friends we have made in Aus (mostly Aussies) and the variety of things we did whilst out there.

So, you may indeed have to return to the UK if you're finances are really compromised, but i just thought i'd give you my view of how it has been for us since returning 'home". :smile:

Hi sunnygirl.

Has your husband thought about starting his own business? Tax services in Australia are regulated, but there may be opportunities for him to offer his expertise as a financial director, assisting with end of year accounts prep, etc.

The risk is that all businesses have to spend money establishing themselves, but savvy marketing and a willingness to get out there and mix it in a business environment might bring in work.

Just a thought ...

Best regards.

Lets be honest here we all feel better when its sunny! I'm sure the weather has a great deal to do with Brits reasons for moving here. Maybe if you can move somewhere different in the UK you will feel as though its a new start, maybe somewhere with mild weather. Good luck to you and the family!

Think outside the box here. If there is no work in his profession, look to taking any job that is going to stop the drain on your funds. Even think about buying a franchise such as lawn mowing, which will bring in some decent cash if the hours are put it. The move back should be a last resort if you are enjoying the lifestyle. I know that it is difficult to put all the education and experience of his profession to one side, but many do so in order to get that start out here. As a side line, as has been suggested, he can do contract work in his profession, and network off contacts made via that. The old saying of where there is a will, there is a way is so true. Good luck to you whatever you decide on.

As one who has made the move back to UK and loves it I'd say that if you don't really want to lose the lifestyle you've got then don't do it. Living with rellies is the pits (I'm doing that too, because they need us!). Unless your DH can get a job before you leave (and many returnees have done that - gives you concrete options!) and you can see it as a next opportunity until something better in Aus comes along, as the others have said, I'd be reading "What Colour is my Parachute" and aiming for anything and everything to keep you in the place you don't really want to leave because if you go because you feel forced to go, you are going to always cast your mind back to the perfect life you have now and it won't shape up.

I was thinking even of Aldi if you have them near you- they have a minimum wage policy. Just to tide you over. Given the expense of returning to the UK and given that you are happy here I don't think it would be such a good move for you. The other big area of employment is aged care- there seems to be heaps of jobs going there. A friend of a friend lost a well paid job and now works as a postman- says he has never been so happy in his life, no stress and finishes early .

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions!

The thought of moving interstate does seem a little daunting, the whole starting over somewhere totally new. As much as we'd be sort of doing that in the UK, it does feel a little more familiar there and with our friends & family dotted all over the UK, it's never too far from anyone. However, despite saying that, if a position came up in say for eg. Melbourne or Adelaide then we'd certainly consider it. We have been told the job market is slow compared to usual. Also, in Finance, now is the peak of the jobs market. As soon as December hits then it slows right down until Feb/March. Our money would not last that long! It doesnt help that dh is seeing articles in the British papers saying how the jobs market back in the UK is picking up and there is going to be an economy boom! Living with my in laws would drive us crazy, but it would just be until work is secured. We've done it before just before we moved here after we sold our house.

We are so wanting Aus to work though, and my dh is really trying at every opportunity. He took up a course 2 months ago to improve his skills which he has now completed, he's just waiting until he can sit the exam in Nov. He would consider setting up his own business, but he would still need to further his qualifications in the tax field and take on another course. Not impossible, but time/money is running out for us. He has also been applying for many many jobs, whether it be paying $70k less, to the contract work also. Although, he has been advised that without contract experience, then he's not a preferred candidate.

He does well at interviews and a few times has gotten to the 3rd stage out of 4, then to be told it has gone to someone with experience in that field. He needs to earn a minimum of $140 to cover our outgoings, but has looked at jobs for less which we'd need to also self fund. We could do this for the short term

We'll be eligible to apply for citizenship in June so for him to even get a job until then we'd be grateful!

I would be prepared to work, but im from a customer service/telesales background so wouldn't make enough money to cover our daycare costs. Daycare costs are $100 per day here so they don't come cheap!

:arghh:

He does well at interviews and a few times has gotten to the 3rd stage out of 4, then to be told it has gone to someone with experience in that field. He needs to earn a minimum of $140 to cover our outgoings, but has looked at jobs for less which we'd need to also self fund. We could do this for the short term

We'll be eligible to apply for citizenship in June so for him to even get a job until then we'd be grateful!

I would be prepared to work, but im from a customer service/telesales background so wouldn't make enough money to cover our daycare costs. Daycare costs are $100 per day here so they don't come cheap!

:arghh:

Really do not want to sound nasty here, but if he needs to earn a minimum of $140 to cover your outgoings, would it not be best to look your outgoings and trying to cut them down? We had to do this process and it is surprising what you can cut down when you need too. If you are able to, your hubby can go for a little less money or you may be able to stay longer to get to the June plus mark. If you are not working at the min, could you not consider stopping daycare and doing it yourself. Like you say they are not cheap and this could be a bit of a saving for you all. If you want to stay it sounds like if no work is coming along yet, cuts will need to be made to make the dollar's that you have got that bit further. It may also come to the case that you have to work rather than being prepared to work.

This is going to sound hard and it is going to put a few peoples backs up, which it is not meant to. However, these are hard times and some hard decisions need to be made for us all. Good luck with everything though, we wish you the very best and hope it works out for you guys.

Really do not want to sound nasty here, but if he needs to earn a minimum of $140 to cover your outgoings, would it not be best to look your outgoings and trying to cut them down? We had to do this process and it is surprising what you can cut down when you need too. If you are able to, your hubby can go for a little less money or you may be able to stay longer to get to the June plus mark. If you are not working at the min, could you not consider stopping daycare and doing it yourself. Like you say they are not cheap and this could be a bit of a saving for you all. If you want to stay it sounds like if no work is coming along yet, cuts will need to be made to make the dollar's that you have got that bit further. It may also come to the case that you have to work rather than being prepared to work.

This is going to sound hard and it is going to put a few peoples backs up, which it is not meant to. However, these are hard times and some hard decisions need to be made for us all. Good luck with everything though, we wish you the very best and hope it works out for you guys.

I hear what you're saying. I must say we have already done this to an extent. If there is one thing about being married to an accountant, they certainly know how to budget! One biggy for us is rent at almost $800 pw. If we're still here next year then we'll look to move once our lease is up in May.

Archived