Aussie Kids Running Amock

simmo

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So 1 in 5 aussies are from crim stock?:eek:

When transportation ended about 1 in 6 of the population was a convict.

If you go back 5 generations to around the time transportation ended, you have 32 great great great grandparents. So it would be quite possible for 1 in 5 Australians to have 1 of those 32 ancestors as a convict.

Mind you, the Victorian definition of criminal was pretty harsh. Kids as young as 9 were transported as convicts.

I found a very distant cousin who was transported as a 13 year old from Somerset - for stealing nails.

Prostitutes, political prisoners, parents who stole food to feed their kids - no social security then - were all classified as criminals for transportation.

Except for the real bad ones who were sent to Van Deiman's land.

"The real bad ones" were actually executed in the Uk.

The transportees were considered worthy of a second chance.

The descendants of the "real bad ones" are still in the UK.

There was no classification of prisoners and destination.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
And we ask again to back up your figures with links proving it, I have shown you links showing oz has more murders per head of population but yours seem to be missing.

Crime figures in Australia and the UK are very similar, I don't fear being the victim of crime in the UK and my many family members and friends don't fear being victims of crime in Australia either. I don't see why some are getting their knickers in a twist over it TBH.

Crime figures in Australia and the UK are very similar, I don't fear being the victim of crime in the UK and my many family members and friends don't fear being victims of crime in Australia either. I don't see why some are getting their knickers in a twist over it TBH.

I really don't either, baz keeps banging on about youth crime when all the statistics prove their is very little difference,,,,for once I agree with you.

....and the population seem to have weaker immune systems....probably due to interbreeding

Given that 65% of the population was either born overseas or had at least one parent born overseas, there would be less interbreeding than the UK.

Should fit in well in Tasmania given the apalling literacy levels in that state

Slightly less than the appalling literacy levels elsewhere in Australia.

Someone so obviously critical about literacy levels should learn the correct spelling of appalling and Van Diemen's Land.

Slightly less than the appalling literacy levels elsewhere in Australia.

Someone so obviously critical about literacy levels should learn the correct spelling of appalling and Van Diemen's Land.

Oh dear!.....a bit of a desperate reply there:laugh:

I agree about the appalling literacy levels in the rest of Australia though

The people I meet in Australia are mostly honest, up front and genuine. I have witnessed about as much crime as I did in England...less seems to be reported here and I'm not sure if that means it doesn't happen. You certainly don't hear as much about child abduction and abuse and random crazy person murders.

The people I meet in Australia are mostly honest, up front and genuine. I have witnessed about as much crime as I did in England...less seems to be reported here and I'm not sure if that means it doesn't happen. You certainly don't hear as much about child abduction and abuse and random crazy person murders.

Well no but then again the population is far smaller. Remember also a lot of the crime reporting is kept with in states, unless very serious.

Guest Guest66881

I think the actual 'news' reporting on a local basis here in Perth is very poor to be honest, nothing like how it was back in Britain or as that more to do with news sensualization or just that crime is a lot worse on a local level there to here?

You must not live in Adelaide! There are things all the time about attempted abductions of both children and adults. There was one a couple of months ago at 6:30am!! I don't know why that is shocking, I just expect it to be at night.

There was a girl taken for about three days last year. Her abductors (she was passed from house to house) sent messages on her phone saying she was fine, she wasn't.

The murders thing, see my other post. The same Australia Day the person was murdered three doors down from me, two other people were killed. One a targeted old lady, I think the other in a brawl. It's shocking here.

I have had stuff stolen twice in Australia. Never in the uk....

I love Australia, but I don't feel safe here.

Certainly local to where I live crimes that get reported wouldn't even make page 10 in a local newspaper in my area in the UK.

And likewise here many don't get reported. Especially serious assaults. A Scottish girl staying by me was king hit on the streets of Perth returning to my address after clubbing during the early hours. Only second day in OZ her girl friend was with her at the time and possibly saved her life.

Police present for many hours but never caught the attacker. Nothing in the local rag... think not an isolated incident. Just different degree and vibe to Lancaster....

Guest Guest66881

Other things like major road traffic incidents never appear in the papers, the crime stats page is very generalised and in a way condescending.

We only seem to get 'shock news stories' reported not the local grass roots stuff we all really want to read, not that we want anything bad happening obviously.

Other things like major road traffic incidents never appear in the papers, the crime stats page is very generalised and in a way condescending.

We only seem to get 'shock news stories' reported not the local grass roots stuff we all really want to read, not that we want anything bad happening obviously.

A lot of it is to maintain the image. The old Aussie thing with regards to keeping negatives to a minimum and the like. A lot of the stuff reported is released to assist police in their enquiries....

Archived