How long does each states summers last in Oz?

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Guest The Pom Queen
OK Mr Smartypants, lol ..... How long usually do these states have hot weather averaging the mid 20 degrees?

Are we talking daytime temps or nighttime?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Ropey HOFF
Are we talking daytime temps or nighttime?

Daytime temps, I don't think it drops much below the 25 mark where you are, does it? It must be fantastic.

Guest The Pom Queen
Mid Oct to late April is 6 months for Melbourne........

It was never above 20 for 6 months when I lived there. Dec, Jan and Feb were best months for heat

Guest The Pom Queen
Daytime temps, I don't think it drops much below the 25 mark where you are, does it? It must be fantastic.

Daytime above 20 = 365 days of the year.

Yes it can drop below 20 at night in the dry season.

Are you saying you have 6 months of 4 to 5 days per week of mid twenty plus weather? I thought Melbournes weather was like the weather in the UK?

definitely not like the uk.

maybe more mid/southern Europe but with far more extremes of very hot, or cold, or hail, heavy rain even snow in summer. You name it, we can get it any time of year.

about 3-4 years ago we had a 42 degree day and the cold artic front moved in and it dropped to low 20's in about 30 minutes.

For Melbourne, I could really only pencil in January and February as months where you can expect 25C+ for 4 or 5 days in a week.

As someone else mentioned, Melbourne's weather is very up and down temperature wise, especially from early spring to early autumn. Most of Autumn and Winter are much more consistent from day to day in terms of temps.

A typical week in Melbourne in mid summer would go something like this for maximum temperatures......

21C, 27C, 33C, 20C, 22C 24C, 30C.

Occasionally there are days that get over 40C and sometimes there can be a few consecutive days in the mid to high 30s. Most of the time it is pretty temperate though.

Inland areas of Victoria typically have much warmer summers than closer to the coast thanks to the continental influence and lack of seabreezes. In those places you get more extended spells of hot weather above 30C and most days are at least low to mid 20s. Places like Bendigo for example have consistently warm to hot days in summer.

Down on the coast it stays pretty cool. Some of the popular seaside resorts like Apollo Bay and Lorne only see the occasional day where it is actually hot enough to warrant swimming. Most days stay in the low 20s with stiff sea breezes.

definitely not like the uk.

maybe more mid/southern Europe but with far more extremes of very hot, or cold, or hail, heavy rain even snow in summer. You name it, we can get it any time of year.

about 3-4 years ago we had a 42 degree day and the cold artic front moved in and it dropped to low 20's in about 30 minutes.

Nowhere near as hot in Melbourne as places at similar latitude and elevation in Europe. Eg. check out the summer maximums and averages for places like Seville, Athens, Cyprus and Sicilly and then look at Melbourne's averages. The places on the Med are heaps hotter.

There is a widely used climate classification system called the Koppen climate classification that puts Melbourne in the same category as London.

Victoria may have higher extremes than the UK (in terms of heat) but overall the climate is remarkably similar, especially when you get up into the hills.

As you know, we have just had our first good summer for 37 years here in the UK :shocked::yes:

And i was just wondering how long roughly in weeks or months do the summers last in each state or area in Australia, say for instance, the mid twenties, mostly sunny at least 4 to 5 days per week. We have just had about 3 months here in the UK, usually we have no more than one month in a normal year.

Brisbane?

Perth?

Darwin?

Adelaide?

Cairns?

Hobart?

Sydney?

Canberra?

Melbourne?

:wink:

Probably the first thing you need to learn is the difference between a state and a city.

These are all cities, not states.

Guest The Pom Queen
Probably the first thing you need to learn is the difference between a state and a city.

I'm just glad he added Cairns on, most people think Brisbane is the only city in Queensland

Guest The Pom Queen

Also thinking about it doing it by states wouldn't really work, look at WA the North is a lot hotter than the South and in Queensland, FNQ is hotter than South Queensland

Another important factor to consider is the strength of the sun. Even down in southern Victoria it seriously packs a punch in summer. A 20C day in January in Melbourne can feel very pleasant thanks to the influence of the sun.

Even today it felt very warm here on the central VIC ranges despite the temp only scraping the low 20s. It's because the sun intensity here at this time of year is probably about equal to Northern Europe in mid summer.

Most of the states, apart from Tasmania, perhaps, are just too big to generalise about their temperatures and climates. I know in winter in NSW, it can be below freezing in some parts, and 21 degrees up near Qld.

Most people live in the capital cities anyway. They do sometimes say that 'NSW' stands for 'Newcastle, Sydney, Wollongong!'

How long does summe/winter last in Sydney? This year has been odd. My brother Mick complained bitterly about how cold our other brother's house was when he stayed there in June, sleeping in the rumpus room. But in my flat I hardly noticed the cold, did not use a heater for most of the time. I expect it will pretty well be summer now for the next six months.

I looked at this and it shows Highs and Lows, is there a Mean average, or do I go with the High figure?

It shows both mean highs and lows and record highs and lows.

If you go to the website below, you can select each month of the year and it will show you exactly where in Oz the average maximum temp. exceeds 24 degrees for that month.

http://www.bom.gov.au/jsp/ncc/climate_averages/temperature/index.jsp?maptype=1&period=an#maps

Guest The Pom Queen
It shows both mean highs and lows and record highs and lows.

If you go to the website below, you can select each month of the year and it will show you exactly where in Oz the average maximum temp. exceeds 24 degrees for that month.

http://www.bom.gov.au/jsp/ncc/climate_averages/temperature/index.jsp?maptype=1&period=an#maps

Bom is ok but I know for Cairns they only have one weather station at the airport so it doesn't give you a correct temp for the rest of Cairns. This caused numerous issues when Yasi hit

This forum is bleedin weather obsessed:laugh:,was never a factor in me wanting to migrate,altho it seems it is for the majority,fair do's,each to their own,my only concern was that i moved somewhere that wasnt warm too long,the downside of choosing s.a is its very warm a few months of the year

Altho i guess if you have certain medical ailments you would look for warmer climes

Bom is ok but I know for Cairns they only have one weather station at the airport so it doesn't give you a correct temp for the rest of Cairns.

Every location has microclimates. My part of Hobart is 1000 feet up a mountain, so is often quite different to the BOM office at sea level. (Although BOM here has measurements taken from multiple small-area grids). But that series of maps I referred to should answer Hoff's query. If he can't follow those, there's no hope for him. :rolleyes:

I can put in Mackay if you want, I think that's up higher and where Bobj lives, if it is he can tell us how many months he has with 4 to 5 days per week of mid twenty plus degrees of weather each week.

Yes Mackay has very similar temperatures as we do.

Are you saying you have 6 months of 4 to 5 days per week of mid twenty plus weather? I thought Melbournes weather was like the weather in the UK?

6 months, and if Melbourne had weather like the uk, we would have moved north a long time ago!

As you know, we have just had our first good summer for 37 years here in the UK :shocked::yes:

And i was just wondering how long roughly in weeks or months do the summers last in each state or area in Australia, say for instance, the mid twenties, mostly sunny at least 4 to 5 days per week. We have just had about 3 months here in the UK, usually we have no more than one month in a normal year.

Brisbane?

Perth?

Darwin?

Adelaide?

Cairns?

Hobart?

Sydney?

Canberra?

Melbourne?

:wink:

Melbourne summer lasts about 6 months which suited me :cool:

But it will probably be too changeable for you Hoff.

Link for Melbourne weather temp data updated every 10 mins

There is also an archive of daily temp at 10 min intervals for any day you choose.

http://www.baywx.com.au/melbtemp.html

I agree about the feeling cold part but I sometimes swear I live in a parallel Perth to others. Yes it's rained but constant, I don't think so.

We had clear blue skies and lovely sunshine all day today in Perth, no rain at all. There were a few dark clouds this morning but they cleared very quickly.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Every location has microclimates. My part of Hobart is 1000 feet up a mountain, so is often quite different to the BOM office at sea level. (Although BOM here has measurements taken from multiple small-area grids). But that series of maps I referred to should answer Hoff's query. If he can't follow those, there's no hope for him. :rolleyes:

Theres es no hope for me, lol.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
They also forget that there's something in the middle between Cairns and Brisbane :cry:

Wheres this then? And what's the weather like there? Cheers.

Archived