Cane Toad Issues

ChrisMagoo

Hi

Me and my mam (Nic1171 or whatever) recently moved over here to the Gold Coast from Sunderland and we found a massive Cane Toad in our backgarden. We were told by our good friend who has helped us a lot that we should kill and after a while of trying to rationalise killing it, ie saying it's just like killing a red back etc, I decided I would kill it. Because obviously it's poisonious to me and my mam and any family member coming over. I was just wondering if you anyone had any advice? This toad rarely ever comes out of his crevice so the spray is out the window and I am not putting it in my freezer so effectively that leaves one option, Spiking it. I am not one of these sickos who would torture it but I was wondering if anyone had any specific advice on what to do before, during and after?

Thanks in advance

-Chris

Guest The Pom Queen

Take a peak at this:

Hopstop® is an aerosol spray that has been specifically developed for killing cane toads and is now commercially available for this purpose. When applied in sufficient quantity it appears to be an effective, easy to use and relatively humane method. Information on where to purchase Hopstop® is provided through the manufacturer's website: http://www.pestat.com.au/html/products.htm. It is very important that each toad is treated with sufficient spray to ensure it is anaesthetised and then killed quickly, so two sprays are required with the second applied after the toad has stopped moving. After 2 hours toads should be checks for signs of death before disposal.

Stunning followed by decapitation can also be used to kill individual cane toads, but this method is only suitable for use by confident and skilled operators with the correct equipment and technique. This method must not be used unless those involved have received appropriate prior training, as ineffective stunning or unskilled decapitation will result in an inhumane death.

Prolonged exposure to carbon dioxide. The most commonly used method for killing multiple cane toads at a time has been exposure to carbon dioxide. This entails collecting toads in a plastic garbage bag and then filling the bag with carbon dioxide prior to disposal or burial. However it appears that the concentration and duration of exposure previously used does not actually kill cane toads, it merely anaesthetises them. This is one example of why it is so important to confirm death of a cane toad (or any animal) before disposing of its body. Research indicates that the use of carbon dioxide to kill cane toads is only effective and humane if exposure is maintained for at least 4 hours at 90% or greater concentration. The carbon dioxide must also be pre-warmed and the number of toads in each bag must not exceed 20 (in a 56 litre garbage bag). Death must be confirmed prior to disposal.

RSPCA frown heavily on freezing and have for a number of years

I don't like killing anything but it is necessary in the case of cane toads. They are so toxic they will kill anything that eats them. They are taking a devastating toll on native wildlife as they spread across northern Australia especially the goanna population.

The skin of the adult cane toad is toxic, as well as the enlarged parotoid glands behind the eyes, and other glands across their backs. When the toads are threatened, their glands secrete a milky-white fluid known as bufotoxin.Components of bufotoxin are toxic to many animals; there have even been human deaths due to the consumption of cane toads.

Bufotenin, one of the chemicals excreted by the cane toad, is classified as a class 1 drug under Australian law, alongside heroin and cannabis. The effects of bufotenin are thought to be similar to those of mild poisoning; the stimulation, which includes mild hallucinations, lasts for less than an hour.As the cane toad excretes bufotenin in small amounts, and other toxins in relatively large quantities, toad licking could result in serious illness or death

In addition to releasing toxin, the cane toad is capable of inflating its lungs, puffing up and lifting its body off the ground to appear taller and larger to a potential predator.

Poisonous sausages containing toad meat are being trialled in the Kimberley (Western Australia) to try to protect native animals from cane toads' deadly impact. The Western Australian Department of Environment and Conservation has been working with the University of Sydney to develop baits to train native animals not to eat the toads. By blending bits of toad with a nausea-inducing chemical, the baits train the animals to stay away from the amphibians.

I'm sorry but as much as I'm an animal lover I believe it is a duty to kill them. Not only are they poisonous to anything that mouths them, they are also competing for the food of native fauna and indeed, even eat smaller native frogs/toads etc. I just spray them with dettol and they're dead in a few seconds.

The bright spark that brought them over to eat the cane beetle has a lot to answer for....................yes they'll eat the beetle, given the chance, but as the beetles remain on the cane for 99% of their life and cane toads are unable to climb?????????????????????.................you couldn't think the story up, could you? :wacko:

Can you not try to capture it in a bucket and then release it? I hear all the time about people killing toads, but I am sorry at the end of the day it is still a living creature. My dog went near them a few times, but after telling him off, he never went near them again, and they bounce around the garden a bit, but I just cannot bring myself to kill them. Sorry I just think it is wrong.

Can you not try to capture it in a bucket and then release it? I hear all the time about people killing toads, but I am sorry at the end of the day it is still a living creature. My dog went near them a few times, but after telling him off, he never went near them again, and they bounce around the garden a bit, but I just cannot bring myself to kill them. Sorry I just think it is wrong.

Ok. Why don't you start a campaign to collect cane toads. Collect them in large containers and when the container is full seal the lid, drill some air holes and send them back to South America. They devastate the local fauna and spread like wildfire. We have, unfortunately, had some idiots come and live here eg cane toad, rabbit introducers, idiots who let their cats run free to become feral. I could make a much longer list but I can't be bothered and I think that you have got my drift.

like the inavasive squirrels and crayfish in the UK.................should they be left alone as well?

I'm with Bobj.......a 5 iron is most effective......or I have always found a well aimed 225/40R 18 Pirelli PZero is also effective......or just squirt them with bleach or Dettol.

Honestly I can't believe some of you poms......aaww do we have to kill the poor little darlings.......can't we just catch them and release them......FFS kill every one of the bastards before they spread even further and do more damage.

I'm with Bobj.......a 5 iron is most effective......or I have always found a well aimed 225/40R 18 Pirelli PZero is also effective......or just squirt them with bleach or Dettol.

[Honestly I can't believe some of you poms......aaww do we have to kill the poor little darlings.......can't we just catch them and release them......FFS kill every one of the bastards before they spread even further and do more damage.

]

:biglaugh: :biglaugh:

The greys cause trouble for the red apparently. That's all I know. I've never saw a red one here

Oh yes I know that, I think the reds are more or less gone now really, which is a shame. I wouldn't club a grey to death because of it though.

like the inavasive squirrels and crayfish in the UK.................should they be left alone as well?

Grey squirrels aren't in anything like the same league as came toads though. They may have pushed the reds out and been responsible for their decline but they don't do too much damage to the rest of the native flora and fauna in the UK. Or at least I'm not aware that they do anyway. I remember reading something ages ago where they actually thought the decline of the red squirrels wasn't due to the greys at all but was more to do with the destruction of their natural habitat and the fact they can't adapt to eat other foods or something - a bit like pandas. I don't know how true that is though. Don't know anything about crayfish at all so can't comment on thm.

Cane toads on the other hand are devastating to the local flora and fauna and any spotted should be destroyed to help prevent them spreading further.

Oh yes I know that, I think the reds are more or less gone now really, which is a shame. I wouldn't club a grey to death because of it though.

I'll wager you've never stepped outside in after dark in rural Queensland, for find the whole yard a blanket of hopping noisey creatures. Once you have they certainly seem more of a pest.

Grey squirrels aren't in anything like the same league as came toads though. They may have pushed the reds out and been responsible for their decline but they don't do too much damage to the rest of the native flora and fauna in the UK. Or at least I'm not aware that they do anyway. I remember reading something ages ago where they actually thought the decline of the red squirrels wasn't due to the greys at all but was more to do with the destruction of their natural habitat and the fact they can't adapt to eat other foods or something - a bit like pandas. I don't know how true that is though. Don't know anything about crayfish at all so can't comment on thm.

Cane toads on the other hand are devastating to the local flora and fauna and any spotted should be destroyed to help prevent them spreading further.

Although grey squirrels are a bit bigger, they don't actually bully the reds. What they do is they eat under ripe nuts, which the reds can't digest. This means that these nuts never mature for the reds to eat. The other consequence is that the nuts never go on to form trees. I could be wrong, but I think the hazelnut tree is now a protected species (in the UK) because of this.

I know it's in vogue to criticize the introduction of biological controls and non native species, and it's true that Australia has a litany of destroying its' native flora and fauna in this way, but before you saddle up on the high horse, you really have to ask yourself what would you have done differently. How would you contain or control the cane beetle? Or would you simply not have introduced sugar cane at all? And replaced it with what crop exactly? Wheat? (Also non-native).

I sat opposite a woman who decried the British for introducing the cane toad (I was the only Brit at the table, and she'd been waiting to vent her spleen). She was eating steak and chips and salad at the time. I pointed out that there was nothing on her plate that wasn't introduced by the British.

Archived