Australian Work Life Balance

Guest The Pom Queen

You're forgetting that you're accruing long service leave and that Australia (from memory) has more public holidays than the UK. Add that to the fact that accrued leave doesn't get reset each year, so that you can save it up for a long holiday and I'd say it is equally good to the UK holiday offering.

A lot of people don't mention the long service leave as they never get there. I've been working with the same company for 20 years this year and have just had a month long service leave, I had a month over Christmas New Year when my Sister was here a couple of years back and still have 15 weeks to come. On top of that I have 5 weeks annual leave accrued and no plans to have time off till Christmas.

Once you get to 10 years service we get 3 months long service leave which then keeps accruing at about 1 extra week a year. Good incentive to stay at an employer for at least 10 years.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Southern Cross Personnel
Where I work we can only accrue leave in certain circumstances and with the express permission of senior management. Any we don't take is lost at the end of the leave year. Which I find annoying, because I have to take 4 days at Christmas so if I want to go to the UK for a month I either have to go at Christmas or take leave without pay. But if it were that bad I could just leave & get a different job...

Hi Sarah,

It is illegal in Australia to "lose leave" If you are not allowed to accrue and have not had time to take leave the worse the employer can do is put you on enforced leave to use up your entitlements. They cannot just cancel the leave

Do they do Time Off In Lieu here? Never heard it. Heard of RDO's bot not Toil , that was huge in the UK sector that I came from !

I've had TOIL and my wife gets it as a nurse. Depends what project we are on at work. If the customer is paying for every hour we put in when we are on site we get TOIL, if our company is paying we don't. One year I accrued 10 weeks TOIL and had the whole lot over the Christmas and New Year period. Had to work a lot away and some weekends on sites but it was great to have along break. We also got a big bonus that year.

My son is a sparkie and when he was working in Perth on union sites he got 2 RDO's a month. He could have got more money and taken just one but he likes his time off too. He's on a 7 on 7 off roster now. FIFO in Port Hedland. He knocked back a couple of jobs as he wanted that swing and not a 2 on 1 off.

Guest littlesarah
Hi Sarah,

It is illegal in Australia to "lose leave" If you are not allowed to accrue and have not had time to take leave the worse the employer can do is put you on enforced leave to use up your entitlements. They cannot just cancel the leave

They get round that by 'deeming' it taken, it's an issue that the union are pushing to change as part of enterprise bargaining, but the concern is that management will stall negotiations hoping that the new government will change IR legislation. In any case there are other issues at stake that are far worse than matters pertaining to leave.

To be fair, parental, personal & sick leave entitlements are really good. So I guess we just take the rough with the smooth!

I get the standard 20 days annual leave here versus 24 in the UK. I also get an RDO each month which I can take when it suits (usually). But I work an hour longer each day and somehow manage to get an hours less sleep per night as I have to get up at 5.15am versus 7.30am in the UK. My commute is also longer here but it's company fuel so our car doesn't get used much.

Overall I work more hours here but the only reason my work life balance is better here is the fact that my partner isn't working FIFO. When he worked FIFO in the UK it felt like we never had any time together. Plus we get paid a lot more here so that helps....

I don't think sick/parental/personal leave is any better or worse than the UK. Maternity lags behind the rest of western countries with the exception of the US. Studies have shown that better maternity entitlements are more likely to encourage women back into the workforce, like in Scandinavia where you can get a year's pay at 80% of your wage. That would be nice.

The weather is perfect around here at the moment and it's a long weekend too.

Sunny Coast, Gold Coast or Byron Bay for a trip this weekend? decisions decisions!

Qld health nursing:

• Nurses and midwives receive five weeks paid annual leave (six weeks for shift workers). You can also choose to take leave at half-pay for double the period of time.
  • In addition, 17.5% loading on annual leave with up to 27.5% for shift workers.
  • 13 weeks long service leave after completing 10 years continuous service, which can be taken pro rata after completing seven years continuous service.

That's 42 days (15 more than NHS) for most nurses, due to shifts plus long service leave. You can have 84 days if you want, as long as you're prepared to go on half pay.

NHS offers 27days leave and no long service if I recall correctly so yes, Work/life balance is hugely improved if you work in nursing, at least in this state.

Qld health nursing:

• Nurses and midwives receive five weeks paid annual leave (six weeks for shift workers). You can also choose to take leave at half-pay for double the period of time.

• In addition, 17.5% loading on annual leave with up to 27.5% for shift workers.

• 13 weeks long service leave after completing 10 years continuous service, which can be taken pro rata after completing seven years continuous service.

That's 42 days (15 more than NHS) for most nurses, due to shifts plus long service leave. You can have 84 days if you want, as long as you're prepared to go on half pay.

NHS offers 27days leave and no long service if I recall correctly so yes, Work/life balance is hugely improved if you work in nursing, at least in this state.

What does exactly mean "leave loading" , I thought you get 17.5% of you leave days added to your annual leave every year with the employer but that doesn`t make much sense, people with let`s say 15 - 20 years of service would have a massive amount of leave :eek:.

My friend works for public hospital and she just took a maternity leave - double time for half pay. She`s very happy with that.

What does exactly mean "leave loading" , I thought you get 17.5% of you leave days added to your annual leave every year with the employer but that doesn`t make much sense, people with let`s say 15 - 20 years of service would have a massive amount of leave :eek:.

My friend works for public hospital and she just took a maternity leave - double time for half pay. She`s very happy with that.

"Leave Loading" is comcompensation for your loss of shift pay when you are on holiday ie they give you another up to 27.5% on top of your basic wage.

"Leave Loading" is comcompensation for your loss of shift pay when you are on holiday ie they give you another up to 27.5% on top of your basic wage.

Thanks, is it calculated on the amount of leave days that you actually took that year or is it 27.5 % on top of the 5 (or 6) weeks that you are entitled to take that year?

Thanks, is it calculated on the amount of leave days that you actually took that year or is it 27.5 % on top of the 5 (or 6) weeks that you are entitled to take that year?

It's in your "pay packet" whilst you are on leave ie if you take 14 days leave, you get 14 days basic pay plus 14 days loading.

I did stipulate "nurses and midwives in Qld health" as I'm not conversant with other professions' working conditions

Looks like public health system is the better one to get a job as a nurse. Thanks for explaining, Johndoe :biggrin:

My work life balance is poor at the moment and has been since i started work 6 months ago. i work 60+ hours a week , every week, full on exhausting work with a lot of responsibility for turning a previously disorganised and badly run department around (am making some progress but it is painful).

i leave for work at just after 7am and am rarely home much before 8pm - fortunately it's only a 20 minute commute either way. so for me, the Aussie so-called laid back lifestyle is a complete myth, as i think it is for the other people who all seem to work very long hours in my firm.

i get paid oretty ok i suppose although i guess many will get the same for less work . io am glad i got a good job when i arrived here but i really have no time to enjoy what i earn or much spare time before it's Monday again and all weekday evenings consist of is a couple of hours max for dinner and quick slump in front of telly / read before bedtime.

The holidays do suck, 20 days and having to earn them, made it hard for me to be home for the movecube to be delivered. The intersting thing I found out at lunchtime tho is if you are a workaholic here, you can work 3 years straight and then take 3 months off. Few people been off to Europe for 6 weeks since I started in June.. my old uk job you had to beg permission to carry forward 1 day

certainly not true where i work. we are not allowed to carry over anything. not all AU businesses are the same.

My work life balance is poor at the moment and has been since i started work 6 months ago. i work 60+ hours a week , every week, full on exhausting work with a lot of responsibility for turning a previously disorganised and badly run department around (am making some progress but it is painful).

i leave for work at just after 7am and am rarely home much before 8pm - fortunately it's only a 20 minute commute either way. so for me, the Aussie so-called laid back lifestyle is a complete myth, as i think it is for the other people who all seem to work very long hours in my firm.

i get paid oretty ok i suppose although i guess many will get the same for less work . io am glad i got a good job when i arrived here but i really have no time to enjoy what i earn or much spare time before it's Monday again and all weekday evenings consist of is a couple of hours max for dinner and quick slump in front of telly / read before bedtime.

All the best to you jim ....but i wouldnt do it ......and kn owing my mates here in the u.k ,they wouldnt either ......some of them are really busy 7 days a week .....even those lads cut it short sat and sunday to be in the pub .

it seems oz is taking on the american model ....work your b.....cks off all your life , working to pay off a big house, car and alll the accessories that mke you appear successful .

I prefer the europen modell , i hear some of the austrians have 100 year mortgages ....work n then enjoy yourself.....

All the best to you jim ....but i wouldnt do it ......and kn owing my mates here in the u.k ,they wouldnt either ......some of them are really busy 7 days a week .....even those lads cut it short sat and sunday to be in the pub..

Any of em work in an office?

My SIL is the same as you jimmy- very similar hours plus often has to go interstate and overseas at w/ends. Very good pay but you have to wonder if it is worth it. He likes his job but has a young family who miss out on his company a fair bit and he will never get those hours back when they are growing up. On the plus side they are a good bunch to work with and he finds the job stimulating and challenging. It would be hard to drop down in pay- they live up to their earnings with a great house, cars etc.but you wonder how long he can keep up the pace.

I've tended to reckon for all my (relatively short) life that it's the decisions you make. I worked for several years in fairly low level admin, where you just rock up at 9, get on with your day, lock the office at 5 or 5.30, and forget about it for the rest of the time. I've now just taken on a job that is technically 40 hrs a week, but is turning out to be more like 8.30-6 with some Saturday work (RDOs during the week to make up for that). That's a choice I made. The money's not better, the leave certainly isn't (they won't let me take more than 2 weeks at a time which other jobs have often agreed to), but the job is potentially considerably more rewarding for me than the day-in-day-out admin I was doing.

Choices, choices. Hubs and I have both chosen to pass over higher incomes for better work/life balance (mortgage not withstanding). We both reckon it was the right decision :)

Looks like public health system is the better one to get a job as a nurse. Thanks for explaining, Johndoe :biggrin:

When you are over 50 you can "pay" for extra weeks off too. All my wifes workmates over 50 take the option to have extra leave and give up a bit of pay.

It was your choice to take it on jimmyay1. Do you have to work those hours or do you choose to do them as you think it's the only way to get the job done. If that's the case your employer is using you mate and you need more staff.

In my limited experience of working with a fair amount of people here in the last year I think Work Life Balance is no different to the UK, I find ozzies just as much motivated to climb the greasy pole as anywhere else. There a lot more politically correct here as well. tend to not voice their opinions and kiss ass a lot more.

Money is everything in Perth and as everything costs a bomb everyone is desperate for it, their obsessed with building houses to make money etc....

Holiday is about the same as in the UK also but the ozzies seem OK with just having weekends more often etc.. British tend to travel more frequently but then the weather is rubbish ! Ozzies seem to save it and go on a 3 month'er every now and again to Europe etc....

However I do see the older people among the working population do enjoy the balance more as they're much wealthier but that's the same in the UK.

Life is a struggle when your young and today's younger people haven't got their priorities in the right order and buy everything on credit etc...

long service leave is pretty good

Archived