Big swings in petrol prices

ozziepom

Went to fill up the car yesterday (Sun arvo). I had noticed fuel was 142.9 the day before, got to the servo and the neon sign outside said ULP was 162.9, up 20c in a day. While I was filling I noticed the pump was reading 142.9, and that's what I was charged. Mentioned to the girl inside that the sign was wrong, no she said, the price just changed. Sure enough when I got back to the pump it was 162.9. A jump of 20c/litre in a few seconds.

I know the oil price is changing all the time but this was a swing of almost 15%, I get the idea that the companies put the prices up at high demand times, are there any generally good/bad times to fuel up? I spend about $130/week on petrol so it adds up over time.

Download the fuelview app - that's what I use, shows me the cheapest petrol stations around my current location - or if you enter a postcode that location.

Never fill up without checking that first!

And oddly, where I live it's usually cheapest on a Sunday!

I've found Sunday cheaper too around me last couple of months

Melbourne generally runs on a 10-12 day cycle.

it went up 20 cents today about 7:30

Similar sort of thing here in Adelaide. At the moment it seems to be back on it's way down. Here it jumps by about 20c a litre suddenly and then goes down slowly over a week or two before jumping about 20c a litre suddenly again. It's great if you can always fill up when it's at the bottom of the cycle, but not always easy to judge.

Can anyone explain WHY there is this petrol price cycle? It's often talked about (on the news etc) but I've never heard a good explanation as to why it goes up and down the way it does.

Because petrol companies can use it as an excuse to rip you off and the ACCC does nothing about it

Because petrol companies can use it as an excuse to rip you off and the ACCC does nothing about it

Not really - it actually gives you the opportunity to not get ripped off - ie by waiting until the price is at a low point before buying. If they wanted to rip you off, why not just keep it at the high point?

Archived