Alarming predictions: recession in ACT if Abbott wins

Maggie2012

you would rather think that wouldn't you.

You really like to blame Murdoch rather than that the people of Australia have rejected Rudd and Gillard comprehensively on their performance over the past 6 years.

Why not? There is hardly a sense of fair play let alone pretentions of democracy to present the facts to the public and allow them to make up their minds. The attacks on Labor have been frantic and frankly dishonest by the Murdoch press particularly.

I wonder why the Cons are allowed to once again wrap themselves into a small ball as to avoid being a target by the media?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you would rather think that wouldn't you.

You really like to blame Murdoch rather than that the people of Australia have rejected Rudd and Gillard comprehensively on their performance over the past 6 years.

As far as I can tell people are just voting for change. A wise woman once said to me, with Australian politics you're having to choose between the candidate you hate and the candidate you despise. I'm yet to meet anyone who actually likes Tony, maybe that is because I live in Canberry :wub:

As far as I can tell people are just voting for change. A wise woman once said to me, with Australian politics you're having to choose between the candidate you hate and the candidate you despise. I'm yet to meet anyone who actually likes Tony, maybe that is because I live in Canberry :wub:

That about sums it up. Sometimes Change for changes sake.

Australians are not stupid. We do not form our opinions on what Murdoch says.

It is such an appalling cop out to blame Murdoch for the comprehensive rejection by the people of Rudd and Gillard.

Of course he has influence both here and UK. Reason why so many politicians sought the court him. Australians have long shown a sense of apathy when it comes to politics. Although far from alone these days, I admit with a general turn away from the notion that politics play a role in ones life.

I prefer Abbott to Turnbull- at least what you see is what you get. I'm not interested in Mr.Nice Guy- I want someone who can lead.

Perhaps the democratic process has run its course and want the majority really want is strong, effective authoritarian government, where folk are not burdened by choice but told what is best?

it is insanity for any party leader just make up a huge number to cut livelihood for 20000 + people. If I have learnt anything from the past is that you cannot just do a "total wipe out" (ironically even the TV show ifs in here). In any system there are well working elements that can be made more efficient and any decision would have to go under review and then decide exactly just how many numbers will be cut.

And Abbott cannot have exact insight what is needed since he has no access to information on a level that a PM does.

After all, Australia is working well economically and socially. And what "ain't broken don't fix it". Sacking 20000 plus people and placing them on the unemployment roll is not exactly a smart move and would eventually affect much more people (kids etc.) not to mention on the economic impact on Canberra. Someone is playing a Russian Roulette and that is a bit crazy.

Perhaps the democratic process has run its course and want the majority really want is strong, effective authoritarian government, where folk are not burdened by choice but told what is best?

On the plus side of Abbott its likely that it will be only 1 term of Liberal government. He makes enough gaffes as opposition leader, he could go on to be George W bad on a bigger stage

Unfortunately that became the trend nut just in Aussy: you vote for the lesser "bad choice" these days.

On the plus side of Abbott its likely that it will be only 1 term of Liberal government. He makes enough gaffes as opposition leader, he could go on to be George W bad on a bigger stage

May well be. But if they win enough seats they will be hard to dislodge after a single term. Time enough to rid themselves of Abbott and bring in someone from the harder right to get their economic agendas into place.

I think it will be a very long time before Labor gets back in.

My bet would be on 3 terms for Abbott, before a possible return to Labor.

It on;y takes about 10 years or so for everyone to forget about what went on this time around.

I hope Abbott goes out gracefully though next time. I suspect he will learn from Howard's experience who hung on too long.

Interestingly enough of all the political adverts on TV at the moment it's only Clive palmer who discusses any policies in them. The other 2 seem to just fling dirt at one another

I'd say this is a good thing.

The Canberra public service is pretty bloated under Labor.

I think he has signalled 8000 positions may go. Not sure if these are all in Canberra though.

The reality though for Australia as a whole, is there is a huge budget deficit and $300B of Labor debt that needs fixing.

Yep,we're up sh!t creek in this country :rolleyes:

The majority of you would probably dismiss this article as it is only by Joseph Stiglitz the Nobel Prize winner for economics........but WTF would he know

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/australia-you-dont-know-how-good-youve-got-it-20130901-2sytb.html

or his woeful Minister for Immigration and concentration camps.....Reichprotektor Scott Morrison.......god help us all.

Perhaps the off shore camps can be further expanded to include those that dissidents that don't fit into the Cons brave new world concept. Who knows at one stage it may be preferable to living a possible decade under the Con regime. Although I don't want to belittle the conditions those unfortunate asylum seeking folk are living under in Nauru or Manus Island at all.

I think it will be a very long time before Labor gets back in.

My bet would be on 3 terms for Abbott, before a possible return to Labor.

It on;y takes about 10 years or so for everyone to forget about what went on this time around.

I hope Abbott goes out gracefully though next time. I suspect he will learn from Howard's experience who hung on too long.

Not because Labor has done anything particularly bad. Australia is in good shape. A party that won't release its costings until the end of the campaign when it can't be scrutinized can hardly be trusted. I'll hazard an informed guess though a lot will long for the days of Labor, if we are really going to have to endure ten years of the Cons.

Yep,we're up sh!t creek in this country :rolleyes:

The majority of you would probably dismiss this article as it is only by Joseph Stiglitz the Nobel Prize winner for economics........but WTF would he know

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/australia-you-dont-know-how-good-youve-got-it-20130901-2sytb.html

There was something similar on the BBC website last year...Aussies are becoming really miserable and whingy, but they've been isolated from what the west has gone through so don't know how lucky they are. You can't teach that "feeling" to them, they have to make their own mistakes and learn from them, and they will vote in Abbott and suffer.

The UK's learnt from that with Cameron, Osbourne and Gove, even people and particularly small businesses who voted for change and a reduction in bureaucracy, then have been shafted by policies that stymie growth and force them under. If there's no money in the economy and you prune too hard, there's nothing left to grow.

I think Abbott with his visits to the UK and his refusal to state policies is following the exact same template that Cameron played in 2010 (in fact it's an almost cloned campaign) ....let the other party get voted out on a wave of anger without stating what you're REALLY going to do in their place, then when you get elected you have a mandate to do anything you like.

I'd be surprised if the Aussies would vote in a bloke who hasn't set out his policies or his cuts with any detail, but that's what we did in Britain and the country has been spanked ever since. Does it mean anything over here, is anybody interested enough or is it more about hitting Labor?

Should be interesting to come back to this in another 12 months and see how everyone's faring.

Do you suggest the European proportional representation then?

not exactly, but you cannot argue that if you have more choices it is better. Probably 4-5 strong parties could bring a better political scenario. Let's face it these political systems are centuries old and could do a fixing in some parts.

Following true democratic principles at least there should be an amendment that a PM could be revoked (and held accountable for his/her actions) from office in the same manner as he gets elected: by people's votes. So if you cite democracy, you are talking about a Greek system, where politicians served FREE of charge, could be RECALLED form their posts and could even PAY with their LIVES for huge blunders (not saying that today such an extreme would be acceptable but how about Siberia?)

With politics you never know, they all lie to their teeth and it is very rare that a politician (post election) lives up to his/her promise.

And wrong, it has been proven that people have short memories. The problem is that everyone wants a PARADISE but that only works in the Bible. So what and who do you choose? Regardless, you cannot deny it that a possible loss of 20000 plus jobs in ACT is a bad thing. And that is what the article is about.