Alarming predictions: recession in ACT if Abbott wins

Maggie2012

Most of the government departments in Canberra are my customers and nearly everyone of them has a brand new building where no expense has been spared. The buildings are certainly more luxurious than many of my private sector customers and QLD govt departments can only dream of these facilities. You can certainly see where the money is going and it is not into services. Whist public servants cannot line their own pockets like British politicians, they are making sure that they are milking the system as best they can.

NT govt spend money like water. And it's everybody else's money

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You must not have been to Europe/US lately to have such a wayward perspective of how Australia has been doing lately.

Lets cut for the sake of it! I mean the Deficit is a massive 15% of GDP or whatever it is. Probably better than your household debt percentage

Oh and Tony Abbott knows better than Standard and Porr's over the relative position Australia is to pay its debt of course the man's a genius. He can stop boats out of thin air

That is true, when I say Labor have been a hopeless government, I do mean in comparison to other Australian Federal governments.

I have not lived in the UK for 35 years so it is true they may be even worse over there.

BUT, we aspire to more here.

We were used to competent governments who managed the economy well, created surplusses every year, and cut taxes etc. A government who managed the borders effectively.

I could go on.

But I do rate the previous 6 years as a hopeless government, and even the Labor party have known this themselves, hence all the deckchair shuffling on the Titanic.

That is true, when I say Labor have been a hopeless government, I do mean in comparison to other Australian Federal governments.

I have not lived in the UK for 35 years so it is true they may be even worse over there.

BUT, we aspire to more here.

We were used to competent governments who managed the economy well, created surplusses every year, and cut taxes etc. A government who managed the borders effectively.

I could go on.

But I do rate the previous 6 years as a hopeless government, and even the Labor party have known this themselves, hence all the deckchair shuffling on the Titanic.

I guess 'Children Overboard' was effective...................?

we (just) came across something worrying in the news today:

"The Australia Institute says Canberra will suffer an economic downturn similar to the mid 1990s if the Coalition goes ahead with plans to downsize the public service.

Opposition leader Tony Abbott says the coalition plans to reduce the public service by 12,000 positions if it wins the Federal Election.

Australia Institute's executive director Richard Dennis says its research has found the loss of jobs is likely to push the local economy into recession." article source: http://au.news.yahoo.com/local/act/a/-/local/18740662/act-post-election-economic-forecast-draws-fire/

what do you think?

I think there is far more political corruption in Australia than in Britain (it is after all a country in which the oldest established families were generally criminals) but the good news is that the Federal Government has far more limited powers and the state governments don't have the funding to do too much damage so most people can get on with living their lives free from the interference of the politicians.

I think there is far more political corruption in Australia than in Britain (it is after all a country in which the oldest established families were generally criminals)

I think a stronger, more valid argument, is that a great deal of senior trade Union Officers are Poms/Scots..................there's less over there (UK) because maggie drove 'em over here.

I think there is far more political corruption in Australia than in Britain (it is after all a country in which the oldest established families were generally criminals) but the good news is that the Federal Government has far more limited powers and the state governments don't have the funding to do too much damage so most people can get on with living their lives free from the interference of the politicians.

Certainly what was going on here in the 80s would confirm that. WA was a good example but far from alone. Has it got better or just got better at concealing it?