Alarming predictions: recession in ACT if Abbott wins

Maggie2012

we (just) came across something worrying in the news today:

"The Australia Institute says Canberra will suffer an economic downturn similar to the mid 1990s if the Coalition goes ahead with plans to downsize the public service.

Opposition leader Tony Abbott says the coalition plans to reduce the public service by 12,000 positions if it wins the Federal Election.

Australia Institute's executive director Richard Dennis says its research has found the loss of jobs is likely to push the local economy into recession." article source: http://au.news.yahoo.com/local/act/a/-/local/18740662/act-post-election-economic-forecast-draws-fire/

what do you think?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we (just) came across something worrying in the news today:

"The Australia Institute says Canberra will suffer an economic downturn similar to the mid 1990s if the Coalition goes ahead with plans to downsize the public service.

Opposition leader Tony Abbott says the coalition plans to reduce the public service by 12,000 positions if it wins the Federal Election.

Australia Institute's executive director Richard Dennis says its research has found the loss of jobs is likely to push the local economy into recession." article source: http://au.news.yahoo.com/local/act/a/-/local/18740662/act-post-election-economic-forecast-draws-fire/

what do you think?

Which is the bit that worries you? That a significant proportion of the nations wealth gets channeled into one city? Or that by reducing this income stream means that there will be less money in ACT? The question is: do we need that many PS worker in Canberra? If not, where is the justification for keeping them all on?

Which is the bit that worries you? That a significant proportion of the nations wealth gets channeled into one city? Or that by reducing this income stream means that there will be less money in ACT? The question is: do we need that many PS worker in Canberra? If not, where is the justification for keeping them all on?

I love it.. Any mention of sending Qantas or manufacturing jobs off shore is un-Australian. Yet cuts to the public service is just removing dead wood. 12,000 families livelihoods are at stake, but you make it sound like they're already getting cash hand outs from the government.

John Howard went on a slash and burn excercise when he came to power, but by the time he left office the PS was even bigger.... Australia needs the services provided by the PS and somebody has to do the job..

I'd say this is a good thing.

The Canberra public service is pretty bloated under Labor.

I think he has signalled 8000 positions may go. Not sure if these are all in Canberra though.

The reality though for Australia as a whole, is there is a huge budget deficit and $300B of Labor debt that needs fixing.

Edited by parleycross

I think he has signalled 8000 positions may go. Not sure if these are all in Canberra though.

The reality though for Australia as a whole, is there is a huge budget deficit and $300B of Labor debt that needs fixing.

I think Labour did pretty well avoiding the problems the rest of the world suffered. But if you want to vote Liberal that's obviously your choice and I understand it.

But who would want Abbott as PM?? Malcolm Turnbull would be strolling to election victory if he was leader.

There isn't 300 billion of Labor debt. Oh what's the use.......

>>Yet cuts to the public service is just removing dead wood

I never mentioned dead wood. The size of the PS will always be dictated by whatever the private sector can support. It isn't the other way round. If you want to grow the PS, grow industry first. If revenue from the private sector decreases, the size of the PS must be reduced accordingly.

I think Labour did pretty well avoiding the problems the rest of the world suffered. But if you want to vote Liberal that's obviously your choice and I understand it.

But who would want Abbott as PM?? Malcolm Turnbull would be strolling to election victory if he was leader.

Australia avoided much of the GFC pain because money was pumped into the economy. This avoids recession but increases debt. It's a handy trick to use once, but it's not a viable long term policy. We've been selling the family silver and not getting much for it.

I'd prefer Turnbull too. I hope that whoever is pulling Abbotts' strings knows what they're doing.

I never mentioned dead wood. The size of the PS will always be dictated by whatever the private sector can support. It isn't the other way round. If you want to grow the PS, grow industry first. If revenue from the private sector decreases, the size of the PS must be reduced accordingly.

Australia avoided much of the GFC pain because money was pumped into the economy. This avoids recession but increases debt. It's a handy trick to use once, but it's not a viable long term policy. We've been selling the family silver and not getting much for it.

I'd prefer Turnbull too. I hope that whoever is pulling Abbotts' strings knows what they're doing.

Murdoch and the Catholic Church, a frightening combination!

I hope they reign Abbott in when discussing foreign affairs after this week's Syria debacle.

Newsflash ! Abbott is strolling to victory.

He will be a very good PM and surprise a lot of people.

Kevin will go down in a Ruddbath.

why ? He was spot on with his comment.

Baddies on both sides.

It may be true, but a PM has to be somewhat diplomatic.

Do you want him calling the Russian Gangsters? The Chinese Corrupt?

That will be great for Australia

Look on the bright side (as we're always told on this forum!), at least Australia isn't a nuclear power. So any damage done should mostly be confined to this continent.

The answer to ensure smooth operations is yes. We want effective and accountable government. The writing is on the wall. Sadly it looks a wall to wall Conservative chokehold on the nation. Federal and State. Cutbacks will not be confined to Canberra though. Costings will have to be sourced from somewhere.

That will go little in cutting debt. Other sources will need to be targeted if the Cons are serious. No Australia does not have a huge deficit.

I once thought the same. Turnbull while very open to gay marriage and social issues is to the right on economic issues and favours big business, as may be expected. He does have a charm that Abbott doesn't though, but perhaps not exactly what the public may think they are getting.

Not as bad as the current incumbent who called the Chinese ratf***ers I believe and who snubbed the Japanese (largest trading partner) the last time round.

Better a Rhodes Scholar, volunteer fire fighter than a megalomaniac, micro managing narcissist.

Canberra always totters when there is a change in government and Abbott is right, the PS is bloated and has been for a long time. At least with a Conservative government Australia stands a better chance of not going down the pan quite as comprehensively as it might otherwise.

I once thought the same. Turnbull while very open to gay marriage and social issues is to the right on economic issues and favours big business, as may be expected. He does have a charm that Abbott doesn't though, but perhaps not exactly what the public may think they are getting.

Nah Turncoat should have been Labor then he might have got in.

Abbott is a dangerous reactionary. He will be put into power by the Murdoch press who have run a relentless disrespectful campaign against Gillard and now Rudd. Sad that people are so gullible to believe Murdoch's propaganda.

Oz is one of a handful of countries in the world with a AAA credit rating. Labor had done a good job. managaging the economy during tough times.

Abbott is a dangerous reactionary. He will be put into power by the Murdoch press who have run a relentless disrespectful campaign against Gillard and now Rudd. Sad that people are so gullible to believe Murdoch's propaganda.

Oz is one of a handful of countries in the world with a AAA credit rating. Labor had done a good job. managaging the economy during tough times.

you would rather think that wouldn't you.

You really like to blame Murdoch rather than that the people of Australia have rejected Rudd and Gillard comprehensively on their performance over the past 6 years.

Murdoch's power in the UK and Australia is horrible. Unfortunately too many buy into what they read.

All this deficit chat for example, it's like they would have preferred a crippling recession instead just to balance the books like a household. Has this debt affected the country in any manner at all? Or is it a nice headline for Liberal papers