Britain is Booming

Guest The Pom Queen

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its cheaper renting "initially",its not cheaper if youre paying $1,500 a week in rent in 20 yrs time when your neighbour is living in a mortgage free house,try and show a bit of balance,instead of taking all your bitterness out on people looking to migrate,now and again i could understand,but with you and a few others its continual,i'd hate to think people listen to you and the rest of the Ant Hill Mob on Australia,i really would,BALANCE!

I'm not bitter at all and could afford to buy a decent sized place here in a central area if I wanted to however was saying the reality of what its like moving here in recent times. No I wouldnt pay that much rent and i would buy after a certain amount of time, the money you save by renting after a few years would equate to a deposit on a house anyway. Many people here seem to be desperate to get on the housing ladder immediately and its that is what I was getting at.

Yes it does all depend on your circumstances, where you moved from and job etc.., at present over here does favour the blue collar worker from Scotland or in the North as wages there are lower and housing much cheaper and 10 years behind the South in terms of economy etc. Over here you would get more as a tradie coming from the above but as a skilled worker the system here doesn't work in your favour.

The present visa system has now shifted towards the skilled worker with a degree etc...

I'm entitled to my opinion as you are and your obviously bias the opposite to me and I dont think anyone would only use my opinion as a go by, likewise I would hate anyone listen to you and take it as gospel

I wasn't having a go at you just the majority of the posts I see.

Until you get here then you wont really know what I am on about or understand what you may be sacrificing by moving at this time.

There are posts from people who moved here years ago and there happy and doing well etc good on them, however when they moved here things were a lot cheaper than they are now and emigrating to Oz now is a whole different ball game, this has changed in the last 5 years due to the boom here and the GFC in the rest of the world. In the last few years as everything rose in cost the houses they bough have risen and now there all sat on a small fortune and happy for it. Its only a problem moving now.

For example; you didn't move down South as the house prices were too high....Well get a load of this....houses are way more here than they are in the south of England and everything is way more to buy here and the equivalent earnings don't cover that here as wages are not higher when you factor in the cost of living. Before moving here no amount of internet research will tell you the real cost of living here.

However if you want to come then you will anyway and funnily enough I bet your posts on here may well be similar as mine have been on this journey.

Honestly I just don't see it. Sure the cost of housing has gone up a lot but to say housing here in general are way more than the South of England isn't true. A lot of the time you're getting a 4x2 here with a garden and a pool maybe for what you'd pay for a 3 bed semi in say Bournemouth. I picked Bournemouth because that's the only place I could think of that might have a decent enough beach and nice town like feel to it.

Even then what would be the cost of a 4x2 within walking distance of the beach and a 45 min drive to work.

Well here you go

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/Bournemouth.html

your friendly google shows us in a flash. A 3 bed townhouse for 1.175 million pounds or a 2 bed flat for 250,000 pounds.

You would pick yourself something up real flash in our suburb for 1.175 million pounds =

[TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR=class: uccRes]

[TD=width: 6%][/TD]

[TD=width: 47%, align: left]2,004,579.67 AUD

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

As for the cost of living I think it's pretty comparable.[TABLE=width: 100%]

[TD=width: 47%, align: left][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Honestly I just don't see it. Sure the cost of housing has gone up a lot but to say housing here in general are way more than the South of England isn't true. A lot of the time you're getting a 4x2 here with a garden and a pool maybe for what you'd pay for a 3 bed semi in say Bournemouth. I picked Bournemouth because that's the only place I could think of that might have a decent enough beach and nice town like feel to it.

Even then what would be the cost of a 4x2 within walking distance of the beach and a 45 min drive to work.

Well here you go

your friendly google shows us in a flash. A 3 bed townhouse for 1.175 million pounds or a 2 bed flat for 250,000 pounds.

You would pick yourself something up real flash in our suburb for 1.175 million pounds =

[TD=width: 47%, align: left]2,004,579.67 AUD[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Good try mate.. You've chosen an area probably on par with Cottesloe ..yes Paul you can have a house by the beach all the way up past butle. A nice 1.5 hour drive in rush hour and absolutely nothing up there but houses.

Well here you go

[TD=width: 47%, align: left]2,004,579.67 AUD[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

bet lots of people are moving over with 2 million dollars in the pocket

Good try mate.. You've chosen an area probably on par with Cottesloe ..yes Paul you can have a house by the beach all the way up past butle. A nice 1.5 hour drive in rush hour and absolutely nothing up there but houses.

For that price mate you could have a great place in Cottesloe if you wanted one. The one below is up for $1,395,000, for a 4 bed 3 bath 2 car garage place. Still have change of $600,000 compared to the house in Bournemouth. It's not a "try" as you call it, dusty just said that .houses are way more here than they are in the south of England, this just shows that it's not the case.

We live 10 mins walk to the beach in a great suburb, 2 mins drive, 5 mins and we are at Hillary's, so way the Perth side of Butler and I reckon our place might be worth $750,000?? When we bought it we got it for $135,000 but at the time I was on less than $40,000 and interest rates were sky high. We were worried that we would struggle with the mortgage then.

We were in the same boat in the UK too. Would have had to move sooner rather than later into a semi or something that would have kept us just as broke as the one we have here. I think the struggle now is comparable to what it was when we came.

main.jpg

bet lots of people are moving over with 2 million dollars in the pocket

Well I guess someone in the UK is going to buy the house in Bournemouth eventually, so some must be doing OK. Thought this was a thread about how Britains booming anyway, must be OK down South if 3 bed houses are going for that much.:yes:

Well I guess someone in the UK is going to buy the house in Bournemouth eventually, so some must be doing OK. Thought this was a thread about how Britains booming anyway, must be OK down South if 3 bed houses are going for that much.:yes:
i think your find around 250000 will be nearer the average southerners house price

A lot of the time you're getting a 4x2 here with a garden and a pool maybe for what you'd pay for a 3 bed semi in say Bournemouth. I picked Bournemouth because that's the only place I could think of that might have a decent enough beach and nice town like feel to it.

Well, you could go for your GBP 1.2m townhouse - or alternatively this seems to be a 3 bed semi in ournemouth within walking distance of the beach - for GBP 275,000. That's $467,000. I'm imagining that you'd struggle to get a 4x2 with a garden and a pool within walking of a beach for that in Perth

Well, you could go for your GBP 1.2m townhouse - or alternatively this seems to be a 3 bed semi in ournemouth within walking distance of the beach - for GBP 275,000. That's $467,000. I'm imagining that you'd struggle to get a 4x2 with a garden and a pool within walking of a beach for that in Perth

Was there meant to be a link?

If i wasn't moving to aus i'd still live in the south but just not in this city. I can't imagine wages being lower for national companies in the north that'd be prejudice.

There was always "London loading" for people living there BC. When we looked at moving our house near Stockport was worth around 30,000 pounds. For a house in Plymouth or Portsmouth we were looking at double. The salary was a little bit better but nowhere near enough for us to be able to move. One of the guys I was at uni with went for an interview with me to Plessey in Weymouth. We both got offers and I got more or less the same offer from Ferranti in Manchester.

Bit of a relocation, signing on fee for both of us and both companies paid a bit of relocation and digs for a couple of months till we got sorted. I turned the job down at Plessey and took the one at Ferranti. My girlfriend, now wife, lived not far away and the digs in Weymouth were about twice as much.

A couple of years down the track I was married and had a house he was still in digs and struggling. He ended up quitting the job and moving back up North, he just couldn't save any money and felt like he wasn't getting anywhere.

my house just valued 225k up a few grand, with 23k left on mortgage, .lovely work booming down south in uk, dollar falliing against pound, up the rent or sell

i dont know.

Do you like it in Perth. If you do I would sell, pay the mortgage off and transfer the money over.

Do you like it in Perth. If you do I would sell, pay the mortgage off and transfer the money over.

I love perth and portsmouth Paul, just making that commitment is the tough bit to be honest. My house is in a decent part opposite a large pond, with the sea at the end of the rd I,m 50 my trade in uk was always good to me since 16, I should gain my quals next year in my psychology which will make me more secure here in Perth as the trade not so good in Perth.( gas eng ). I noticed the wages btw London and Portsmouth have grown to similar prices, pompey is only 90 mins awy from London but oh so different. like to visit london but work there!

was offered the use of a room to use to offer therapy in Harley st few years ago, rooms reminded me of jack the ripper days and i think i needed to take a ticket to be able to join the throng of people walking on the pavement, :-)

far from booming surely. my ex workmates haven't had their 25% pay cut or the 4 years of pay freeze reversed as yet. :) it was booming back when I first visited in 2000 was offered 4 jobs first day landing. people were saying there was zero unemployment in swindon... thats booming... 3 dollars to pound.

far from booming surely. my ex workmates haven't had their 25% pay cut or the 4 years of pay freeze reversed as yet. :) it was booming back when I first visited in 2000 was offered 4 jobs first day landing. people were saying there was zero unemployment in swindon... thats booming... 3 dollars to pound.

you wont find zero unemployment anywhere, when the boom was on here it was not 0%. Any improvement for any country is good. just so long as i can cruise my cars and drink my tea, any increase in tea bag prices there will be another boston tea party, though the tea chests be empty of course

Guest The Ropey HOFF

This has effected millions of workers, no pay rise, or in my case a pay reduction due to increases in my pension payments. Inflation has been running at about 2.5% over the last 4 years which means I am now £3,000 a year worse off, financial experts are saying that average UK wages have dropped back to what they were in 2006. YES' the UK is starting to come out of it's long 5 year recession and flat lining economy, but ....... Booming' ?? No way at present, how can it be? Keep it real folks.

Do you like it in Perth. If you do I would sell, pay the mortgage off and transfer the money over.[/QUOT

I love perth and portsmouth Paul, just making that commitment is the tough bit to be honest. My house is in a decent part opposite a large pond, with the sea at the end of the rd I,m 50 my trade in uk was always good to me since 16, I should gain my quals next year in my psychology which will make me more secure here in Perth as the trade not so good in Perth.( gas eng ). I noticed the wages btw London and Portsmouth have grown to similar prices, pompey is only 90 mins awy from London but oh so different. like to visit london but work there!

was offered the use of a room to use to offer therapy in Harley st few years ago, rooms reminded me of jack the ripper days and i think i needed to take a ticket to be able to join the throng of people walking on the pavement, :-)

are you from portsmouth?

There was always "London loading" for people living there BC. When we looked at moving our house near Stockport was worth around 30,000 pounds. For a house in Plymouth or Portsmouth we were looking at double. The salary was a little bit better but nowhere near enough for us to be able to move. One of the guys I was at uni with went for an interview with me to Plessey in Weymouth. We both got offers and I got more or less the same offer from Ferranti in Manchester.

Bit of a relocation, signing on fee for both of us and both companies paid a bit of relocation and digs for a couple of months till we got sorted. I turned the job down at Plessey and took the one at Ferranti. My girlfriend, now wife, lived not far away and the digs in Weymouth were about twice as much.

A couple of years down the track I was married and had a house he was still in digs and struggling. He ended up quitting the job and moving back up North, he just couldn't save any money and felt like he wasn't getting anywhere.

I guess I don't know any better because i've always lived in the south!

I'm not bitter at all and could afford to buy a decent sized place here in a central area if I wanted to however was saying the reality of what its like moving here in recent times. No I wouldnt pay that much rent and i would buy after a certain amount of time, the money you save by renting after a few years would equate to a deposit on a house anyway. Many people here seem to be desperate to get on the housing ladder immediately and its that is what I was getting at.

Well yer wouldnt know yer weren't bitter going on your daily rants,ground hog day,every day,it doesnt bother me one iota if you and others dont like Aus btw,i think we "need" the pro's and cons explained,as ive said a hundred times i dont believe in utopia,but its like every time theres a positive hopeful post from people hoping to move,the same grinches cant wait to shoot it down,its like "some" enjoy it tbh,like a gang of bleedin arl women at the garden gate,knit one pearl one,i tell yer

Yes it does all depend on your circumstances, where you moved from and job etc.., at present over here does favour the blue collar worker from Scotland or in the North as wages there are lower and housing much cheaper and 10 years behind the South in terms of economy etc. Over here you would get more as a tradie coming from the above but as a skilled worker the system here doesn't work in your favour.

Wages in my game are more or less the same now,from what i see anyway,i was offered a start in Hillingdon the other day,the pay was less than i earn here,and even if they were a bit higher,cost of living soon cancels that out.

Occupations in IT,Banking and the like i imagine are much higher,but not for Joe Average.

The North isnt "behind" the South at all in terms of economy,the simple fact is everything revolves around London,because of its size,and because we are built on Banking/Finance now,which is all London,the South as a whole reaps the rewards (in general) of this,because the satellite towns are commuter towns,and money spreads out from London,absolutely nothing to do with being "behind".

Just good luck thru proximity for the towns closer to London.

The present visa system has now shifted towards the skilled worker with a degree etc...

Yes,its moving towards that,but theres still opportunities for Blue collar and the rest i guess,but i think things are tighter from what i watch/read

I'm entitled to my opinion as you are and your obviously bias the opposite to me and I dont think anyone would only use my opinion as a go by, likewise I would hate anyone listen to you and take it as gospel

When you find a post from me claiming/stating or hoping Aus is fantastic,made of Coconut and Marzipan etc then let me know,because as far as i know i never have,im a cynic that way,i simply "hope/hoped" it was better,i dont even know if "i" would like living and working there,"until/unless" i do,so i have no bias.

So dont make out im one of the halfwits in the Anti/Pro "camps" on PIO thanks,i try not to get involved in all that rhubarb,theyre just a gang of arl Mary Ellens,bitching at each other non stop.

I stated similar thoughts that i have to you,to an ex pat who was home on holiday here and done nothing but use his time here to come on PIO and slate the uk,so no,no bias here,either way

Archived