Australia number one choice for Brits.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Totally agree with this Pabs, that's more than enough for a single person with no ties or commitments to have a ball, depending where you go it would prob be more. My 17 yo doing unskilled work gets $23 a hour here in Perth, she finds it hard to comprehend what her mates back in the UK are getting on the minimum wage.

That's good money' if that's what backpackers get then I,d deffo work a mont/6 weeks them get off to se asia.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Totally agree with this Pabs, that's more than enough for a single person with no ties or commitments to have a ball, depending where you go it would prob be more. My 17 yo doing unskilled work gets $23 a hour here in Perth, she finds it hard to comprehend what her mates back in the UK are getting on the minimum wage.

Thats good money Fifi,especially for unskilled(no offence meant btw!),i dont get into all the Aus v Uk rhubarb on here,cba with it tbh,bores the arse off me mostly the "camps" on here,with their agenda's,i like the uk and i like aus,just going on a holiday to Aus tho tbh,"thats all".

One thing i "do" think aus has over the uk tho, is a minimum liveable wage,the carers that done jobs that me,dad and bro couldnt do when me mam was in her last few weeks were on minimum wage,sickens me tbh,THE most important people when you need them most,but they were on minimum/poor wages!!!

Im sure i'd get on fine aslong as i found work quickly, thats just my worst nightmare since i havent had the best of luck with work over here. Just going to keep saving my wages and take it from there! Doubt i'll have enough for aus anyway, prob be a bit short of the funds immigration ask for but you never know!

Well,i dont know what you want to do re back packing work tbh,but when i was over there jobs were advertised on loads of shop door ways,to be fair tho,that was 4 years ago,i dont know if its the same now,theres ways and means of showing enuf money in your bank account dimples...

I "think" Aus minimum wage is about 16/17 $ an hour?,thats what,about £10/11 an hour on uk rates?even allowing for the theory that Aus is dearer than the uk,you'd get by fine on that,as thousands do every year,im sure.

Do what your heart tells you to do,yer can over think things sometimes,and at your age you have plenty of time to correct any wrong choices girl

My daughter is working for last 2 months after looking for jobs while studying. Everywhere were offering min wage for 17 year old....being £3.68, luckily she gets more. Have to say though with such low wages it doesnt offer much chance of saving without the help of parents. I can see why it is appealing to many younger ones to back pack in Oz if thats there min wage x

Thats good money Fifi,especially for unskilled(no offence meant btw!),i dont get into all the Aus v Uk rhubarb on here,cba with it tbh,bores the arse off me mostly the "camps" on here,with their agenda's,i like the uk and i like aus,just going on a holiday to Aus tho tbh,"thats all".

One thing i "do" think aus has over the uk tho, is a minimum liveable wage,the carers that done jobs that me,dad and bro couldnt do when me mam was in her last few weeks were on minimum wage,sickens me tbh,THE most important people when you need them most,but they were on minimum/poor wages!!!

Sickens me too, especially when you need to be a certain special kind of person to be able to do this. I couldn't, not because I'm not caring, just would find it hard to cope with the emotional side of it. We used to take care of our elderly neighbour back in the UK. He did get home help but only for about half an hour a day for the v basics. It was my OH that had to go in and help him get dressed, I would do things like get him an extra cup of tea and biccie, just chat with him etc. Broke our hearts when we left cos we knew what would happen and it did, within a couple of months he was in hospital!! Government not willing to pay out for the proper care.

Im sure i'd get on fine aslong as i found work quickly, thats just my worst nightmare since i havent had the best of luck with work over here. Just going to keep saving my wages and take it from there! Doubt i'll have enough for aus anyway, prob be a bit short of the funds immigration ask for but you never know!

Why would you need funds for WHV stacey, do they ask for that? i thought thats point of WHV to work as u travel...........x

Sickens me too, especially when you need to be a certain special kind of person to be able to do this. I couldn't, not because I'm not caring, just would find it hard to cope with the emotional side of it. We used to take care of our elderly neighbour back in the UK. He did get home help but only for about half an hour a day for the v basics. It was my OH that had to go in and help him get dressed, I would do things like get him an extra cup of tea and biccie, just chat with him etc. Broke our hearts when we left cos we knew what would happen and it did, within a couple of months he was in hospital!! Government not willing to pay out for the proper care.

Its sad isnt it Fifi,at least he had decent memories of people like you and your OH looking after him girl

Why would you need funds for WHV stacey, do they ask for that? i thought thats point of WHV to work as u travel...........x

They want you to have around 3,000 or something like that plus money for your flight back too if you dont have a return flight

Its incase it takes you a while to find work x

They want you to have around 3,000 or something like that plus money for your flight back too if you dont have a return flight

Its incase it takes you a while to find work x

really ohhhh i never knew that, cant you just borrow if u know what i mean inorder to show at time of application u have funds.....then give back after? i know before people say u shouldnt do it but im sure theres plenty that do lol x

really ohhhh i never knew that, cant you just borrow if u know what i mean inorder to show at time of application u have funds.....then give back after? i know before people say u shouldnt do it but im sure theres plenty that do lol x

I guess so, i think i'd rather wait till i actually had that amount. I'd be really scared that i wouldnt find work quick enough! The money just depends on how long my temp job lasts. Its so unpredictable!x

I guess so, i think i'd rather wait till i actually had that amount. I'd be really scared that i wouldnt find work quick enough! The money just depends on how long my temp job lasts. Its so unpredictable!x

ohhhh stacey stop worrying hun, i see u really want to go to see what its like........forget the fear and live for now sometimes its good to not now what will happen but honestly the experiance will be great. Sometimes in life its best to say sod it im gonna just do it rather than planning, as plans are often put on hold for other things and often becomes to late as commitments kick in before you realise. Go on :wink: u can do it alone or not you seem a lovely girl and im sure u will do fine and make friends along the way xx ohhhh and nothing wrong in twisting things a little to your advantage hehehe :wink:

Guest Ptp113
I have to admit the "Aussie dream" is very well marketed.

The dream is far better than the so called marketing

well..... poms in oz where asked and...

23% of expats say they had a better overall quality of life in the UK.

45% of expats say they are where happier living in the UK.

65% of expats say they earned more in the UK.

-

68% of expats say they have higher living costs in Australia than in the UK.

47% of expats say they have less leisure time in Australia than in the UK.

36% of expats say it is was better to raise their children in the UK.

63% of expats say the schooling is better in the UK.

-

46% of expats say their neighborhood is safer in the UK.

59% of expats say their healthcare was better in the UK.

I never seem to get asked any questions for any of these polls ... I wonder who they do ask? I'd only agree with the cost of living, Education has been comparable. Good idea for a new thread.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

23% better quality of life in the UK, that means 77% thought it was better in Australia.

45% were happy in the UK, that means 55% are happier in Australia.

47% had less leisure time in Australia, 53% had more time.

36% thought it was better raising kids in the UK, 64% thought it better in Australia.

46% thought it safer in the UK, 54% thought it was safer in Australia.

Sounds about right does all that, lol. :laugh:

And 100% of B Grade British celebrities and has-been rock bands want to come here. There's big bucks to be made here doing TV ads and judging talent shows.

Even dear old Status Quo who nobody under the age of 50 has ever heard of can make millions here.

Age % of national minimum wage Minimum hourly rate

Under 16 36.8% $6.03

16 47.3% $7.74

17 57.8% $9.46

18 68.3% $11.18

19 82.5% $13.51

20 97.7% $16.00

this is what they can legally pay you on a WHV or a young person doing part time work

Guest The Pom Queen
My 17 yo doing unskilled work gets $23 a hour here in Perth, she finds it hard to comprehend what her mates back in the UK are getting on the minimum wage.

Can I ask who she is working for Fi. Both my sons work one is on $11 (16yr old) and one on $13, the eldest is 19yrs old so not so young. I think its crap money especially when you are trying to run a car as well. It may sound a lot compared to the UK but when you are living here its nothing.

Just goes to show that we should take these silly polls with a pinch of salt. I have never met anyone who has ever been asked have you?

I recall a poll published in the London Evening Standard, back in the early 80s suggesting a very similar figure. Little new with the present poll. Folk there are a bit that way inclined if asked such a question to respond accordingly. Few would ever actually do it though.

Hi PQ,

its not a national company, just a cafe in the CBD where they are training her up as a good ol barista!! I know it wouldn't have been her first choice of employment but we moved here when she had only been left school a few weeks so no work experience at all and because we came at first on a 457, couldn't afford international FE fees.

now we are pr, she can and prob will move onto something else, although we've said it might be worthwhile staying a bit longer for more experience. Experienced baristas here can always find work and are well paid, so its a good thing for her to have under her belt.

$20+ is the normal wage for all her mates too.

she has a great life, was able to pay for her own flights and go back to the UK for 5 weeks in June, going to Bali in October. Has bought a jet ski, quad bike and other toys aswell as having enough new clothes and shoes to keep a small country going. She is now saving to do a bit of back packing after Xmas. Oz has opened her eyes to a whole new world.

her elder sister has also done well. She should have been going to uni in the UK but came with us with a try it and see attitude. She has managed to land a job in financial/planning that is normally only given to uni grads. 19 yo and driving about in a 6ltr company car.

by what I've seen there are a lot of crap companies to work for in Perth, those are the ones I get:eek: for sure, but its been nice that the girls have both found work they like and are being looked after.

never been to Cairns PQ, but yeh those wages do seem a bit low, but are wages lower anyway compared to other places?

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi PQ,

its not a national company, just a cafe in the CBD where they are training her up as a good ol barista!! I know it wouldn't have been her first choice of employment but we moved here when she had only been left school a few weeks so no work experience at all and because we came at first on a 457, couldn't afford international FE fees.

now we are pr, she can and prob will move onto something else, although we've said it might be worthwhile staying a bit longer for more experience. Experienced baristas here can always find work and are well paid, so its a good thing for her to have under her belt.

$20+ is the normal wage for all her mates too.

she has a great life, was able to pay for her own flights and go back to the UK for 5 weeks in June, going to Bali in October. Has bought a jet ski, quad bike and other toys aswell as having enough new clothes and shoes to keep a small country going. She is now saving to do a bit of back packing after Xmas. Oz has opened her eyes to a whole new world.

her elder sister has also done well. She should have been going to uni in the UK but came with us with a try it and see attitude. She has managed to land a job in financial/planning that is normally only given to uni grads. 19 yo and driving about in a 6ltr company car.

by what I've seen there are a lot of crap companies to work for in Perth, those are the ones I get:eek: for sure, but its been nice that the girls have both found work they like and are being looked after.

never been to Cairns PQ, but yeh those wages do seem a bit low, but are wages lower anyway compared to other places?

Wow so wages are a lot higher in WA and it sounds like the cost of living is lower. My eldest studies full time at uni and works from 4pm to 5am 6 days a week and cannot manage to save. Those who know him know he doesn't drink, smoke etc. God help him if he did. Mind you when I first moved to Melbourne I was on $18ph as a casual then it got reduced to $16ph when I was taken on full time and I was qualified and more than experienced. Then I was head hunted and moved but even then most of the staff under me were on $14ph. Don't get me wrong I know people are paid higher but for an unskilled worker its def not the norm.

Age % of national minimum wage Minimum hourly rate

Under 16 36.8% $6.03

16 47.3% $7.74

17 57.8% $9.46

18 68.3% $11.18

19 82.5% $13.51

20 97.7% $16.00

this is what they can legally pay you on a WHV or a young person doing part time work

Thats the hourly rate, if its still the same a lot of the farms want you to do piece work and take "accommodation" out of your wages. $16/$17 p/h is extremely optimistic IMO and its not fair to get people expectations up this way.

Guest The Pom Queen
Thats the hourly rate, if its still the same a lot of the farms want you to do piece work and take "accommodation" out of your wages. $16/$17 p/h is extremely optimistic IMO and its not fair to get people expectations up this way.

There was a job advertised in NSW last week 40hrs per week for $100 it included board and lodgings, another was 65hrs per week also needed to be on call 24/7 it was $400 per week but they charged you $150 per week for board and lodgings. Despite what we think both had over 200 applications because they were desperate for work. In fact these days its lucky if you get paid cash at all as a backpacker because they usually pay you with board and lodgings and that's it.

Archived