London hailed as the Sporting Capital of the World

Red Rose

As well as hosting more Summer Olympics than any other city and being the home of football (Wembley), cricket (Lords), tennis (Wimbledon), rugby (Twickenham) and the best marathon in the world, London will this weekend be crowned as the Sporting Capital of the World:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/as-70000-cyclists-take-to-the-streets-this-weekend-for-ridelondon-the-city-is-hailed-as-sporting-capital-of-the-world-8743570.html

Just another reason why it stands head and shoulders above every other city in the world. :wink:

Pity your sporting achievement area quite crap at the momment.

Errr...2 cricket whitewashes for Australia, Zilch for England.

Australia have won more Ashes Tests than England, winning 123 of the 310 matches, compared to England's 100 victories. They have also won more Ashes series than England, winning on 31 occasions, once more than England. There have been five drawn series, and on four of these occasions, Australia have retained the Ashes due to being holders going into the series. England have retained the Ashes after a drawn series once. On only two occasions has a team won all the Tests in an Ashes series; Australia won all five matches in 1920–21, and then repeated the feat in 2006–07.[6]

Errr...Rugby League Tests

[TABLE=class: infobox vevent]

[TR]

[TH=class: summary, colspan: 2, align: center]The Ashes[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: left]Sport[/TH]

[TD]Rugby league football[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: left]Inaugural season[/TH]

[TD]1908–09[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: left]Number of teams[/TH]

[TD]2[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: left]Countries[/TH]

[TD]23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.pngAustralia

23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.pngUnited Kingdom[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: left]Holders[/TH]

[TD]23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.pngAustralia (2003)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: left]Most titles

[/TH]

[TD]23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.pngAustralia (20 titles)

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Cheers, Bobj.

I've been thinking this over in my head as I used to laugh when I hard Melbourne being referred to as the sporting capital of the world.

The poster above rightly mentions the Three Olympics, Wembley, Lords, Wimbledon, Twickenham and Marathon as giving London a very good claim. Not to mention six premier league teams that all sell out every week.

New York also has a famous marathon, tennis grand slam and some of the biggest sports teams in the world...Yankees, Knicks, Rangers, and Giants plus the Mets, Nets, Islanders, and Jet. And some if the greatest boxing matches if all time have been at Madison Square Garden.

Melbourne is unique in being the only the only city to host a tennis grand slam and F1 Grand Prix within 10 minutes walk from the CBD, has the worlds biggest cricket stadium, and 10 AFL teams that all have between 30,000 and 75,000 members. It should be taken into account that Melbourne has less than half the population of London and New York, hardly any satelite towns, attendances are not inflated by a tourist market, the people here are generally sports mad (albeit for AFL in the most part), and there seems to be far more participation of sports here than in London (I can't speak for NY).

Essentially it's one of those things that is subjective by nature and therefore different people will interpret differently, all have a claim in my opinion. But for any to claim makes that city sound a bit desperate.

As well as hosting more Summer Olympics than any other city and being the home of football (Wembley), cricket (Lords), tennis (Wimbledon), rugby (Twickenham) and the best marathon in the world, London will this weekend be crowned as the Sporting Capital of the World:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/as-70000-cyclists-take-to-the-streets-this-weekend-for-ridelondon-the-city-is-hailed-as-sporting-capital-of-the-world-8743570.html

Just another reason why it stands head and shoulders above every other city in the world. :wink:

no RR its THE capital of the western world ....whether sport is included in that , i couldnt care less

Although it was great to see the london olympics , match any that had gone before .

3 times more banking and finance than any other country in the e.u

and the city where everyone is heading to .......if you took all the french people out of london ....it would make the 6th biggest city in france

regardless of sporting achievment , which we have had plenty of ,recently .....we invented most of these bloody games anyway .......football ......rugby to name two

Guest Ptp113
no RR its THE capital of the western world ....whether sport is included in that , i couldnt care less

Although it was great to see the london olympics , match any that had gone before .

3 times more banking and finance than any other country in the e.u

and the city where everyone is heading to .......if you took all the french people out of london ....it would make the 6th biggest city in france

regardless of sporting achievment , which we have had plenty of ,recently .....we invented most of these bloody games anyway .......football ......rugby to name two

And both boring.

Errr...2 cricket whitewashes for Australia, Zilch for England.

Australia have won more Ashes Tests than England, winning 123 of the 310 matches, compared to England's 100 victories. They have also won more Ashes series than England, winning on 31 occasions, once more than England. There have been five drawn series, and on four of these occasions, Australia have retained the Ashes due to being holders going into the series. England have retained the Ashes after a drawn series once. On only two occasions has a team won all the Tests in an Ashes series; Australia won all five matches in 1920–21, and then repeated the feat in 2006–07.[6]

Errr...Rugby League Tests

[TR]

[TH=class: summary, colspan: 2]The Ashes

[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: left]Sport

[/TH]

[TD]Rugby league football

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: left]Inaugural season

[/TH]

[TD]1908–09

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: left]Number of teams

[/TH]

[TD]2

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: left]Countries

[/TH]

[TD]23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.pngAustralia

23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.pngUnited Kingdom

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: left]Holders

[/TH]

[TD]23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.pngAustralia (2003)

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: left]Most titles

[/TH]

[TD]23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.pngAustralia (20 titles)

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Cheers, Bobj.

lovely bit of cherry picking bob

olympic gold medallists .....please ...oz v u.k

world boxing champions .....please ...oz v u.k

you like your charts ....get them up there

p.s

england

football - world cup winners 1966

rugby - world cup winners 2003

cricket - icc test champions 2011 .....match that

lovely bit of cherry picking bob

olympic gold medallists .....please ...oz v u.k

world boxing champions .....please ...oz v u.k

you like your charts ....get them up there

p.s

england

football - world cup winners 1966

rugby - world cup winners 2003

cricket - icc test champions 2011 .....match that

True, poms love their soccer.

Australia won the rah rah cup as well.

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2, align: center]The Rugby World Cup trophy, the Webb Ellis Cup

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: left]Sport[/TH]

[TD]Rugby union[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: left]Instituted[/TH]

[TD]1987[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: left]Number of teams[/TH]

[TD]20[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: left]Region[/TH]

[TD]Worldwide (IRB)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: left]Holders[/TH]

[TD]23px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.pngNew Zealand (2011)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: left]Most titles[/TH]

[TD]23px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.pngNew Zealand (2 titles)

23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.pngAustralia (2 titles)

23px-Flag_of_South_Africa.svg.pngSouth Africa (2 titles)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: left]Website[/TH]

[TD]www.rugbyworldcup.com[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

But nothing else matters, only cricket and rugby league...:wink:

And fishing.:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

Oz have been good at rugby and cricket.

And world champs .....England have been good at and world champs of rugby cricket football boxing cycling sailing rowing and fishing.

Can remember when Australia couldn't win the rugby league against England, now, England can't win against Australia; it goes in cycles.

But all good and healthy competition, PB.thumbs.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Not really ar7ed about national teams tbh,dont like cricket,rugby,or much else besides footy if im honest,and only Liverpool Football Club,but England "should" wallop Australia at most sports,what is it,a third of our population? comparisons are better made with nations of similar sized populations,if it was, i'd imagine Englands record would "still" stand up to be fair,except in world/European footy championships i suppose,ironic as its our national sport,while other sports that arent our national sports have fared better

Can remember when Australia couldn't win the rugby league against England, now, England can't win against Australia; it goes in cycles.

But all good and healthy competition, PB.thumbs.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Rugby league is very small fry in the UK mate.....don't even think they play it in Scotland...

Rugby league is very small fry in the UK mate.....don't even think they play it in Scotland...

Were you not gloating that Kevin Sinfield won the Golden Boot?? Hmmm???

Just in case you forgot...it was your thread.

[h=2]Aussies such bad losers.......but we knew that didn't we.[/h]

"HOW refreshing it is to see Kevin Sinfield's rightful victory in the Golden Boot has already got the Aussies whingeing.

They don't like it up em.

This isn't a dodgy ref's decision or er a prop forward chomping on a player's ear, all we are talking about is reward and recognition for an outstanding season.

Who can begrudge Sinfield that?

A blogger Down Under called League Freak for starters.

I'm a fan of the anonymous one's ranting contributions to the bile-filled world wide web.

He's right a lot of the time, like his dismissal of the way rugby league is often run in such an amateur way this country.

But wrong, wrong, wrong here.

Firstly there's a perception the award goes to the best player in the world. It doesn't.

It goes to the player who has achieved the most in a calendar year.

That could be through sheer flash-bang talent, trophy gathering or a combination of the two.

In Sinfield's case he's won plenty - including beating the best club team in Australia - and he is also the ultimate role model for the game as a whole. "

Cheers, Bobj.

Just another reason why it stands head and shoulders above every other city in the world. :wink:[/quote

And there I was, 35 years after leaving UK,.just about coming to terms with no longer being able to pop up the M3 to Gotham City,.and now your cruel post has hit me like a pail of cold water to remind me I am condemned to live in this horridly sport free outpost of empire for tire term of my natural life

Archived