Healthy Eating

HappyHeart

The thing I cannot get my head around is that I've gone off tea. Never in my life have I gone so long without a cuppa. At first I still had one first thing, but for the last 3 weeks I've just been completely off it! Which of course my MIL told me is good (because, according to her these days black tea is not very good for you), until she saw me drinking a glass of Coke! Normally, I'd just laugh at her, but yesterday I nearly blew a gasket when she started on about what I should be eating. Still, I think my response may have been enough for her to lay off trying to tell me what to do (I'm 37 and work as a health scientist, so I think I've got a reasonable grasp of physiology and human nutrition, and can critically evaluate research)!

its the tannin ( think that's how you spell it ) in tea, I went off it too.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing I cannot get my head around is that I've gone off tea. Never in my life have I gone so long without a cuppa. At first I still had one first thing, but for the last 3 weeks I've just been completely off it! Which of course my MIL told me is good (because, according to her these days black tea is not very good for you), until she saw me drinking a glass of Coke! Normally, I'd just laugh at her, but yesterday I nearly blew a gasket when she started on about what I should be eating. Still, I think my response may have been enough for her to lay off trying to tell me what to do (I'm 37 and work as a health scientist, so I think I've got a reasonable grasp of physiology and human nutrition, and can critically evaluate research)!

I went off coffee. I am usually a three-cups-a-day sort of girl, but the smell of it used to make me gag! I was lucky in that I didn't have morning sickness with any of my pregnancies, but certain smells just seemed to hit the back of my throat. The other thing that I really loved, was garlic, particularly the smell. Trouble was, at the time I was working as an optometrist, and the smell of garlic would not have been nice for my patients, so I had to control that one!

I am afraid to tell you that despite your age, there will be those who will continue to tell you how you should behave/what you should eat/how you should or shouldn't raise your children and what you should feed them, pretty much for ever. I am 38, and have seven and five year old girls, and I frequently have to bite my tongue! It is astonishing that the children have made it to the ages that they have, that I haven't killed or poisoned them in some way yet, and that they are both intelligent, well behaved and well mannered little girls, if you believe some of the things that certain family members have tried to tell me I am doing wrong! I just nod and smile and then carry on in my own way!

I stopped drinking tea for the last couple of months, now I am back on it again. I just could not bear the taste, I put it down to too much chlorine in the water.

As for what people should eat, its entirely up to them. It does not hurt me if people eat lots of junk, or their children eat junk, I do not pay their dental bills. To each his own.

My son never ate veges from being a baby, he just did not eat them, he would not eat fruit, the doc and the wise ones said never mind put it there he will want to try it, he never did. We tried the no pudding bit, that was fine with him he could not have cared less. We used to go to McDonalds for treat, he would not eat the burger, just wanted to use the play equipment. My son is now six foot four, has had a very healthy life up till now, now he is an adult grog etc is probably not good for him. He still never eats fruit, however he will eat silver beet and a small piece of brocolli from time to time, never had salad in his life. Daughter on the other hand has had a very healthy diet all her life, who is the sick one,my daughter, type 1 diabetes from being a child and brain cancer, thyroid problems. So is diet that relevant not in my family.

Just to add on the basis of my children, I would have to say my daughter is the one who was exposed to all the farm chemicals that are used to produce our perfect food and I do believe that this is the root of her problems and always have. So son on the other hand who never ate the good green stuff has no problems at all.

With farm workers they were mostly labourers and they had/have the most important role for our health, mixing the pesticide and putting it on, think on.

Edited by Petals
  • Like 1

I'm sure I read an article the other day that basically said the more food looks like it's supposed to, the better it is, which makes sense really? Also I think the basics can get lost in 'faddy' food talk sometimes. Diary, breads and grains, fruit, veg and exercise. Another factor is portion size. Apparently you shouldn't eat more than what you can get it your hand, everything else goes on the bits we all moan about. Excercise too! I'm good at giving advice but not good at practicing what I preach. I love my leggings, but I also hate them as they collude with my love of food!!!!

Guest guest30085

It's 11pm ... I'm drinking coffee (about sixth cup today) and slowly getting through a packet of All Butter Shortbread biscuits. . . Not healthy but I'm happy! :cool::yes:

It's 11pm ... I'm drinking coffee (about sixth cup today) and slowly getting through a packet of All Butter Shortbread biscuits. . . Not healthy but I'm happy! :cool::yes:

Im gonna have me tea in a mo,cant decide between Chicken Tikka Massala(hardly eat Indian tho tbh,dont tell Tonyman!) ,or just crackers,Wensleydale and pickles,decisions,life changing.........

Guest guest30085
Im gonna have me tea in a mo,cant decide between Chicken Tikka Massala(hardly eat Indian tho tbh,dont tell Tonyman!) ,or just crackers,Wensleydale and pickles,decisions,life changing.........

If you didn't have a physical job Pabs, Im sure you'd be the size of a house with your diet and the times you eat at ;)

I know,im slightly unconventional i suppose:smile:,i need regulating via the medium of a female nagging me tbh:huh::wubclub::biggrin:,but its a big ask for any woman:policeman::twitcy:,im a challenge ive been told:no:,that was then tho,NOW i live the life of a monk

I know,im slightly unconventional i suppose:smile:,i need regulating via the medium of a female nagging me tbh:huh::wubclub::biggrin:,but its a big ask for any woman:policeman::twitcy:,im a challenge ive been told:no:,that was then tho,NOW i live the life of a monk

A monk dreaming of coal whilst eating curry!!!

Adonna- Loveeeee shortbread biscuits..........

I look into some peoples trolleys and think..do you buy that every week?? Do you think you eat a healthy diet? I think most people nowadays have a basic undestanding of whats good and whats not...

I buy a lot of unprocessed food, I make my own chicken nuggets and fish bites for my youngest...wholemeal bread, milk, fish, eggs, lean meat, potatoes, veg, fruit, make my own biscuits and cakes...healthier than shop bought...lots of garlic and chilli in our food, oats..a superfood, broccoli..also a superfood, berries, bananas and oranges...

I see a lot of gimmicky stuff on the shelves, teddy bear biscuits, sugary dessets, breakfast cereals made almost entirely of sugar..whats that all about multi coloured brekkie...I only buy weetbix, oats and muesli.

I think we could be better...probably too much fat, love the feta and lamb....how healthy is your diet?

I'm not very healthy tbh, i eat fruit and veg most days but not all days and i probably have too much bread and chocolate. At the mo i'm not too worried i'm enjoying eating what i want but i know i'll have to be good soon!

fwiw i normally have one cuppa in the morning.....no coffee have never drunk coffee...

Edited by BritChickx

You? a challenge? Naaaah! :biggrin:

You? a challenge? Naaaah! :biggrin:

A cpl of my ex partners have resorted to hitting me over the swede with claw hammers:no:,tried to run me over on the site i was working on:twitcy:,got private detectives on me to find out where i was living,and gave me a lot of stitches via the medium of a bread knife:laugh:

So i "was" a challenge,not now tho:wideeyed:,im going the born again Christian way tbh:wubclub:

I usually start well but it goes to pot when I get in starving after work...Monday I had porrige made with Hilo milk and strawberries, a banana mid morning, a small salad with lamb left over from Sunday for lunch, a health muffin made by friend for mid afternoon, not sure what was in it but tasted good for me...got in....large glass of wine, remainder of bag of Doritos, 3 slices of pizza with extra bits put on, chocolate cake and cream....oh dear.

Great post, judging by the amount of response I'd say very relevant & a topic that's of interest to many. I just wish someone would be able to come up with 'the best diet to suit all', never gonna happen though with all the various food allergies & intolerances that are about these days. I reckon the way in which food is processed nowadays has a lot to play in that.

I recently made an appointment with a dietician in the hope that she could provide a 'meal plan' for me to stick to, I eat healthily for the most part (or what I believe to be healthy!) but I also indulge on junk food whenever it takes my fancy. I find the trouble being that there is too much conflicting advice on what is good/bad foods. We've been told for as long as I can remember to eat lots of fruit & veg, 5-a-day being the recommended intake. But with low GI...there is too much sugar in fruit. Too many carrots can be carcinogenic, legumes are good, legumes are bad...olive oil is healthy /olive oil is fatty & should be avoided. Eat more fish, eat less red meat, avoid too much omega 3 & mercury found in fish...what the hell is right?? Can't win. I have long suspected I have coeliacs, so I cut down on white bread (or rather I cut it out completely) don't enjoy white pasta, rice etc...I don't really enjoy pastries & too much wheat & I reckon that's because subconsciously I'm aware of the IBS symptoms that ensue when I eat such foods. That being said, I can't resist the odd cake & if I crave bread (rarely) I have it. I have probably reduced my gluten intake without even trying but still get enough via other foodstuffs & snacks, therefore still suffer symptoms of IBS. The dietician has told me that it's essential to have coeliacs disease confirmed/denied as if I am infact coeliacs it's hazardous to my health & linked to other health problems including lymphoma as my lovely doctor colleague pointed out! I have also been diagnosed with endometriosis & would very much like to avoid further surgery & have learned that inflammatory diet contributes to endometriosis...which includes dairy, gluten, red meat & meats containing added hormones or estrogens, kinda fits in with my intolerance of wheat products so I guess we really are what we eat!! I was advised that paleo is the way forward but there's a lot of red meat in that too & that reaks havock on the GI tract. WTF am I supposed to eat!? When it's too much to think about that's when I reach for convenience foods & am back at square 1. If anyone has a lovely menu of non dairy, red meat, gluten, low sodium, low sugar I'd love for you to share it!!