Question about salary

H & M

Hi guys,

Can anyone please tell me if I get a job in Oz and the gross salary is between AUD 43K to 53K, what percentage of it gets deducted, so I can have an idea of how much it will be my Net income.

At the moment my job here in the UK after tax, national insurance etc it works out 20% off my gross salary

:smile:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I don't exactly know, someone will tell you, but $53,000 is equivalent to about £22 to £23,000 here in the UK. People need to be aiming for a wage of about 2.5 times their UK salary, to have a similar standard of living, ignore the exchange rate, it fluctuates up and down and can not be relied upon. Best of luck.

Hi guys,

Can anyone please tell me if I get a job in Oz and the gross salary is between AUD 43K to 53K, what percentage of it gets deducted, so I can have an idea of how much it will be my Net income.

At the moment my job here in the UK after tax, national insurance etc it works out 20% off my gross salary

:smile:

also depends wether you are tax resident or not i think..

The average wage is about 60 k I thought. It's not a good wage certainly but may but a decent start as long as you don't have dependents.

I believe the first 18K is tax exempt or so. So tax wise you wouldnt be paying much

The average wage is about 60 k I thought. It's not a good wage certainly but may but a decent start as long as you don't have dependents.

I believe the first 18K is tax exempt or so. So tax wise you wouldnt be paying much

yep i would have thought 60-65k is average!

I’m sure I read last year that the mean average salary is about $73k but the median average salary is about $58k, the median being a more accurate figure as to how much most people actually earn, rather than the mean which is skewed by high earners. So, same figures plus a couple of per cent for this year is my guess.

You wont really get taxed much here on that money, but it may exchange to about 22K in UK money but in reality with the price of things here it would really mean you are earning the equivelent of 10K if you were living in the UK.

Basically you wont be able to afford much if supporting yourself.

If your 20 and only renting a room etc then all is good

You wont really get taxed much here on that money, but it may exchange to about 22K in UK money but in reality with the price of things here it would really mean you are earning the equivelent of 10K if you were living in the UK.

Basically you wont be able to afford much if supporting yourself.

If your 20 and only renting a room etc then all is good

10k??? I rented a room in one of Brisbane's priciest suburbs next to the water for less than $200 a week. A wage of this sort would pay $750 net a week. Plenty of disposable income to do things.

Our mortgage on our inner city 2 bed apartment is like $400 a week. Not sure what you are spending all your money on?

This wage is fine if you are single and don't lead an extravagent lifestyle. I reckon it would be like 20k or so in the UK which is standard sort of wage for a young person

surely $53k or even $43K isn't half the average wage in oz?

The average wage is around $65k so, no, not quite half. In some places, like Canberra, the average is around $80k so closer to half of that. It's not a good wage in Aus though, whichever way you cut it. I don't know where Hoff gets his figures from but the relative averages are £23k to $65k and you can work out your equivalence from there. You've got the tax calculator there - the other thing to be wary of is whether your contract says that your package is inclusive of superannuation or not - if it is, them you need to take another 9% (or has it gone up yet) off your take home pay.

I'm a social worker, paid on a casual basis, and if I work full time for a year I get paid $56/57 k, I get nearly 900 a week after tax and pay slightly over 200$ per week on tax.

According to Dustyroad this wage makes you on about 12k GBP. How do you cope?

According to Dustyroad this wage makes you on about 12k GBP. How do you cope?

I use the 2.5 theory, so the equivalent of just over $22k in UK. Can't remember the last time I was paid so low, but it's a job I suppose. I've no kids, partner is casual and brings in a bit more than me as a chef if he gets the hours in but no work for him next week, so it evens itself out. It doesn't leave you anything to do anything exciting that's for sure.

Well if one is Median and one is Mean it doesn't mean anything.

I doubt mode would be used but maybe it was for fun?

Archived