Any opinions greatly appreciated - so lost

Lakaal

Reasons for staying:

- Parents and family close by

- If parents got ill could care for them would feel so guilty not being here

- Children have family support

- Only have to work 2 day week will be full time in Australia

- Can take summers off to spend with kids (parental leave)

- Can travel to Europe

- Have great childminder for children on the two days I need to work - in Oz will have to get crèche or childminder don't know yet

- children have good friends and good primary school to go to

- love my job

Reasons to go:

- may get to purchase a house quicker in oz. Here we are Stuck with a house we cannot sell in negative equity - so we rent that out at the moment and rent another house.

- Impossible for us to buy a property in the foreseeable future (next ten yrs) so will have to rent for most of the kids lives.

- Husband is self employed - not many perks to that here . Bank wont touch us for loans. If he gets sick we will have no income. No opportunities for him at this time to get a job ( he has 2 degrees in environmental and natural sciences and also a degree in photography with ten years of running own business) may get a job out there or set up himself again more benefits To being self employed in oz I hear.

- feel Ireland is going downhill worry for children's future here. Talk of not coming out of recession for 10 years - alot of kids hanging around street corners not the future I hope for for my kids. Alot of bullying, drugs, alcohol as nothing for them to do really

- adventure for our family , we only live once we know what's here.

- could be better life for us over there, stable jobs, purchase a house.

- having had a difficult childhood which alot of people heard about at the time (extended family, parents neighbours) I would love to just start afresh where nobody knew what had happened to me. A clean slate to start over .

You seem to have more valid reasons for staying.

You may get to buy a house quicker here, but then again you may not.

If you have to work full time here then you will need child care. Unless you come on a PR basis then you will not be entitled to any child care rebate ( reduction in costs). Child care is expensive.

You don't sound excited at the prospect of coming here - you sound very worried.

It is great that you have written a list for and against the move, but nobody on here can advise you whether you should make the move or not.

Hiya lakaal

We're in Ireland too and I know how you feel! My husband is a self employed tiler and while he still has work due to good rep he's only charging half what he was getting when we bought the house so we're still majorly struggling!

We're v close to family also it's difficult to think of leaving them but for us there's not enough work here neither of us can find full time work so we think it's worth a go because like you say I can't see it getting much better here in the foreseeable future and the kids will probably be better off in Oz.

It's not going to be easy I have days where I'm really excited about the prospect of going and others when I can't bare the thought of leaving.

Do some research on what jobs your hubby could get (seek.com.au) and the cost of living plenty of posts on here.

I'm not sure I'd even want to buy again tbh at least you're lucky if rent covers mortgage would barely cover interest only.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

It seems that your reasons for staying are all very tangible and your reasons for going are could be's ... there's obviously a risk with going -you have to ask yourself if you're prepared to take it.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Will be going over on permanent visa either 189 or 190 so that would be a good thing as could get childcare rebate and not be dependent on an employer.

And your right Sammy1 i am worried, i am a worrier !!! Have so many extra grey hairs thinking about this... but equally i worry that if we stay i will regret not trying, that in the future we will be in a bad position and i will think god we should have gone..I am indecisive at the best of times and this decision has now been going on 7 years......now thats indecisive!!but it is make or break time now as visa is now going to cost us close to 6000 euro as have three children.

Caz sorry to hear ye are struggling too. Hoepfully things will pick up or you can find work. I like you some days think oh it will be great so glad i am getting out of here but then other days nearly pull my hair out with the stress of it all. Renting out our house is only covering the interest but we agreed this with bank maybe you could too if you are going.

My husband is self employed photographer but he does alot of work for a company here that have an office in melbourne. They have said if we move over he can also do work for them in Melbourne office so he will have a start anyway and then hopefully secure a job. He feels we have no future here and is willing to gamble it all he says for a future. We have friends in melbourne and they have made very successful lives for themselves out there and are always telling us we are mad and should move over. They moved over 8 years ago though and by the looks of things melbourne has gone alot more expensive since then.

Wish i could be braver..

Guest The Ropey HOFF

If you are happy-ish with your life in the UK then I would stay, but if you think life could be better, then give it a go, but it's not always better for everyone in Australia, most love it, but for some it's not what they thought. Being positive about it and seeing it has one of life's ventures, will help you when emigrating, best of luck.

We've 3 kids too got our application in just before the price increase!

By the time we'd loose the tax relief and pay nppr rent won't cover interest we're on interest only now so I'll have to talk to them once we get the visa!

It's a big decision and hard to be brave if you've been looking at it this long you've probably done the research so it's just making the decision! And like Sammy 1 said we can't tell you what to do.

I know it would be easier if someone could take it off your hands believe me

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

The grass is always not Greener, I strongly suggest you do your pricing research as houses in Australia are very expensive especially in big cities such as Sydney and Melbourne.

Best of luck with the decision making process.

Is it possible for you to move over and leave the door open to move back if things aren't good? Never move over here thinking life is definitely going to be better. Move thinking it's going to be an adventure, it's going to be different and it's going to be a challenge.

If we hadn't done it I'd always be thinking "what if".

Reasons for staying:

- Parents and family close by

- If parents got ill could care for them would feel so guilty not being here

- Children have family support

- Only have to work 2 day week will be full time in Australia

- Can take summers off to spend with kids (parental leave)

- Can travel to Europe

- Have great childminder for children on the two days I need to work - in Oz will have to get crèche or childminder don't know yet

- children have good friends and good primary school to go to

- love my job

Reasons to go:

- may get to purchase a house quicker in oz. Here we are Stuck with a house we cannot sell in negative equity - so we rent that out at the moment and rent another house.

- Impossible for us to buy a property in the foreseeable future (next ten yrs) so will have to rent for most of the kids lives. Your aware that housing in Oz is incredibly expensive - your not going to see a lot of change from half a million dollars.

- Husband is self employed - not many perks to that here . Bank wont touch us for loans. If he gets sick we will have no income. No opportunities for him at this time to get a job ( he has 2 degrees in environmental and natural sciences and also a degree in photography with ten years of running own business) may get a job out there or set up himself again more benefits To being self employed in oz I hear. Are you aware that the mining industry - Australias main industry and main employer of environmental staff is in a major downturn and a lot of enviro staff have been made redundant. I cant think of any benefits for running your own business in Oz against the UK / Ireland

- feel Ireland is going downhill worry for children's future here. Talk of not coming out of recession for 10 years - alot of kids hanging around street corners not the future I hope for for my kids. Alot of bullying, drugs, alcohol as nothing for them to do really. There are exactly the same issues with Oz and kids as there are in the UK and Ireland - in fact the drug and alcohol problem is probably worse

- adventure for our family , we only live once we know what's here. Probably the only good reason i can see.

- could be better life for us over there, stable jobs, purchase a house. Migh be better - but, with no equity to bring over, i assume not in the much of savings, then this is pretty risky

- having had a difficult childhood which alot of people heard about at the time (extended family, parents neighbours) I would love to just start afresh where nobody knew what had happened to me. A clean slate to start over .I dont know your history, but from my experience of life, running away from issues is rarely the way forward. it is better to deal with them and come to terms with them.

I really am not sure if you have researched this idea as much as you need to. For examlple. You are worrying about paying for the visas. But that is actually the smallest part of the cost of moving. How are you going to ship your belongings? Your going to need a house - so your going to need a bond and at least a months rent in advance. I dont know the Melb housing market too well, but i would not have thought it would be that different to Perth and so i guess your going to need something like $4000 just to secure a place. Then, what are you going to live on? Is the work your husband being promised definate? Will it pay enough to live on? If not, you need enough savings for the period that you are looking for work - maybe months. Have you looked at what the job situation is for yourself - are there jobs available - dont assume it will be the same. Some jobs simply do not exist here or require a lot more quaifacations and licences

Sorry, but i think you need to look at things a bit more practically and do a lot more research

Guest Guest26012

I think it's hard weighing up the pros and cons in your position? With kids in the equation, it's even harder? You may or may not achieve what you want in oz, it's certainly not that easy at the moment. As others have suggested, research well and if you are prepared as a family to take that chance then I wish you luck!

Hi lakall

I’m not sure if I’ll be any help but I just wanted to respond anyway as you sound so confused. I’m in Dublin but moving to Perth in 6 weeks on PR visa.

We did a lot of weighing up options, pros and cons. I don’t think there are many who make such a big move without playing it over and over again in their heads. Even at this stage, when everything is done and I’m just waiting to go, I still have moments of WTF.. what am I doing. And the guilt of leaving family is killing me the closer we get.

I think ultimately, even though it hurts to be away from your parents and to separate your kids from their grandparents, you have to think about what’s best for your little family as a whole.

It sounds like you yourself have it quite handy here (sorry I really don’t mean to be smart when I say that) but working 2 days a week with a child minder you love and being able to take the summer off is a major bonus for any working mother with small kids. It’s definitely not something most would give up lightly. On the other hand your husband doesn’t seem to have it as easy with no back up if he got sick, the responsibility of being the full time earner and no job security. I guess it seems like a move to Aus would even things up a bit between you, in that your husband would have more job security and at the same time you would be working and earning so the burden wouldn’t all be on him. At the end of the day, it’s all about which scenario is best for both of you and your kids, in the short term and long term. Maybe do a bit more research on what jobs you both could likely get, salary, cost of living, childcare costs and rebates, housing, basic family logistics, who will do morning drop offs to crèche & school, who will collect and all that, would you need two cars and then reconsider everything in comparison to your life here in Ireland.

Also the cost of the visa, as you said approx €6000, flights for the family, another €4000 maybe.., rental deposit plus first month’s rent when you get there, buying an aussie car, holiday let while you arrive and sort out a rental, a container costs approx €3800. Then you have to service your mortgage at home, service the house as a landlord and all the costs involved, property tax, standard and maintenance of the place, letting agents fees etc. It seriously adds up.

It’s definitely not an easy solution. If it was, everyone in Ireland would do it at the moment. I agree life in Ireland is so unbelievably tough right now for young families and there is no prospect for it improving for at least another decade, probably longer. What realistic future will your children have here? No one can tell the future but all the signs point to years and years of unemployment, underemployment and emigration ahead. That’s just the way it is for our small country, it always has been.

I think our decision was probably marginally easier than yours because even though we both worked full time, neither of us had job security and no prospect of changing/improving jobs here. Both of our occupations are in demand in WA and salaries are good. Our salaries here had been cut and combined with increase in income tax, life just became impossible. Don’t even get me started on the universal social charge. Also the fact that there is not so much as a sniff of a tax credit for full time workers with children in childcare, honestly it sickens me.

All in all it is the right move for us right now, financially and economically. If that changes in the future so be it, we can reconsider life again. Best of luck with it.

I am very 'pro' Aus and also 'pro' take a chance,but for you..I think it sounds like you have a charmed life in Ireland...nothing to gain by moving unless youre prepared to possibly return and treat it as a semi permanent trial. Working 2 days a week to going full time is a big deal, especially with no family support for childcare...that alone will make you feel dreadful if you dont absolutely love it. My advice...move country in Ireland if you can

I really am not sure if you have researched this idea as much as you need to. For examlple. You are worrying about paying for the visas. But that is actually the smallest part of the cost of moving. How are you going to ship your belongings? Your going to need a house - so your going to need a bond and at least a months rent in advance. I dont know the Melb housing market too well, but i would not have thought it would be that different to Perth and so i guess your going to need something like $4000 just to secure a place. Then, what are you going to live on? Is the work your husband being promised definate? Will it pay enough to live on? If not, you need enough savings for the period that you are looking for work - maybe months. Have you looked at what the job situation is for yourself - are there jobs available - dont assume it will be the same. Some jobs simply do not exist here or require a lot more quaifacations and licences

Sorry, but i think you need to look at things a bit more practically and do a lot more research

I know everyones situation is different but I would definitly agree with the above.

To the OP, you sound desperate to change your circumstances but do you really need to go through all that expense to change your life? there are many many more places to live that wouldn't involve a 10,000 mile move and all the associated expense that moving that far entails. Have you considered other countries to move to? Please take all the 'wanted down under series' with a (large) pinch of salt. considering your push/pull factors I'd say stay (not necessarily in Ireland) and try and consolidate before thinking about moving all that way in a few years time, you sound like you have more to lose than gain.

just thinking out loud but you say that in Oz you'd have to work full time - if things are difficult now and you only work 2 days, can't you up your hours here (if possible?). you may be financially better off and that may allow tyou to build up a safety for net for when/if you decide to make the move. I know you may not want to work more hours (who does!) but it may be a short term means to an end.

whatever happens good luck.

Thank you all so much for your kindness in taking the time to reply - it is really helpful to see others opinions. We have researched this for the last 7 years sorry if that hasn't come across. I am daily on this site and others looking at others posts. We have looked at costs even done a food shop online, ikea online and even contacted schools and crèches re charges. My friends have been advising about rental areas and costs to expect . I am a Social worker so my job is in demand and I have also made contact with one of the main hospitals in Melbourne and had an Interview here in Dublin And a job offer from DHSS although I am trying to steer clear of child protection as have 7 years medical experience.

We do plan to bring about 40,000 aud with us Hopefully so will have some money to settle. What i am worried about re the visa is that i will pay the 6000 and then decide not to go so it would be money down the drain. Our friends are both self employed in Melbourne and have chosen this they say due to benefits or tax breaks etc they set up a company and contract under the ccompany.

But you are right that noone can tell me what to do I don't know I am just going to have to decide somehow.

Niamh y I wish you all the best in your move it certainly seems the right thing for you . Your right in a way that I have it handy here in relation to childcare and it has taken me a long time to get to this stage. 7 years studying so I could get a high enough wage so I could just work part time and then alot of luck getting a great job. Your also right about all the job insecurity being on my husbands side and this must be tremendous pressure for him. He does well he is very good at his work I just wish the Irish government and revenue and vat would cut self employed people a bit of slack but they are full on.

We hope to leave the doors open to return if we go. My sister has agreed to look after our house and the renting out of that.

I guess until we are on the plane like you Niamh y we will wonder well I will wonder whether we are doing the right thing.

Problem is you want it all to be sorted and not too much trouble, might be me but just reading your post you have too many coulds and not enough wants.

You will find it very very different here, your oh is going to find it hard to get a job if he is not an outgoing person as people definitely want people with local experience ahead of others here in Melbourne. Its always been like that.

Getting child care which is suitable is not easy, there is high demand for good child care in Melbourne.

Buying a house will not be cheap, anywhere within ten to fifteen km of the city is very expensive.

Children will be unsettled at first and this may upset you.

Things are done differently here in the Human Services area and you may not like the way things are done. There are plenty of posts on this forum about the experiences of people who have taken jobs in this sector and found them lacking and so so different. In fact there is one such person who did not realise they needed to have a driving licence, a driving licence is really needed anywhere in Aus in my experience.

Two cars are the norm as getting around can be difficult with public transport.

I love it here but I WANTED to come and did not have a might be could be agenda.

I also had no children and we were free agents.

From being around this forum I have noticed over the years that people who have doubts before hand arrive and look for the doubts. If you can put your doubts aside and look with optimism and face the fact that its not a welcome home party coming here and you are just another migrant of many then you can survive immigration.

Good luck with what you decide.

Archived