getting rid of ants

bwatt99

getting rid of antsjust moved or about to move into our rental when our stuff arrives and noticed there is sand in the paving pushed up by ants ok i know they are common over here. I dont want to get or pay for pest control so am looking for some from diy store to get rid i hear andro or whatever its called is good but its was way expensive. im looking for something cheap but works and noticed there was a huge choice and want to get it right first time,what do yiu recommend?also i see there was some on the kitchen tops so wanna be able to use in and outside.i would be greatfull of info on what to get Share

If you find out let me know!

Seriously though, they are everywhere especially in summer. We just find making sure you vacuum and properly clean up after meals helps a lot - even a small crumb they will find otherwise. We don't get them up on kitchen tops etc as wipe down all the time. You may find that when the property is lived in and cleaned regularly that you don't get them in places like that - hopefully.

We do use an ant powder around the house sometimes which helps a bit.

I don't think that any pest control would guarantee against ants anyway as I think it's pretty difficult to control.

We dont get any ants or spiders in the house, we spray inside and out regually BUT the pavers outside constantly have the sand pushed up by them, im not sure you can ever get rid completely.

A tip i read yesterday for a chemical free solution is to pour dry rice grains on the nest, the ants take them home and it kills them.

Cal x

We dont get any ants or spiders in the house, we spray inside and out regually BUT the pavers outside constantly have the sand pushed up by them, im not sure you can ever get rid completely.

A tip i read yesterday for a chemical free solution is to pour dry rice grains on the nest, the ants take them home and it kills them.

Cal x

I'm very interested in the thread as I've been waging war with them in the garden for 4 weeks now in an effort to stamp them out, determined to kill more per day than the queen can lay eggs.

The rice idea is worth a try, but how do I find where the nest is? They are all over the front lawn, all over the verge outside, and in all the flower borders. How do I know whether I've got 1 nest or loads? how far from the queen do they travel?

I've put down Bifenthrin granules in all the holes I can see and it seems to have had quite a big effect, but I'm still finding them around the plants.

I'm very interested in the thread as I've been waging war with them in the garden for 4 weeks now in an effort to stamp them out, determined to kill more per day than the queen can lay eggs.

The rice idea is worth a try, but how do I find where the nest is? They are all over the front lawn, all over the verge outside, and in all the flower borders. How do I know whether I've got 1 nest or loads? how far from the queen do they travel?

I've put down Bifenthrin granules in all the holes I can see and it seems to have had quite a big effect, but I'm still finding them around the plants.

Im not sure how you would find the nest, maybe try sprinkling it around the pavers worst affected and see if they take it from there. Let me know in a few weeks if youve seen a difference.

Cal x

The rice idea is worth a try, but how do I find where the nest is?

My elderly neighbour who used to know everything said nests are often under roots of old established trees and /or substantial bushes. We have a bull ant nest under a tree and the entrance hole is a good 1" across near the base of the trunk.

apart from Mr Muscle cleaning spray good old boiling water works along pavers where there are no plants to kill.

I don't do anything to ants that are outside because they keep the termites under control.

The barrier spray we use to keep spiders out of the house seems to work to keep the ants out as well. The other good thing is eucalyptus oil rubbed on door and window openings.

Guest Guest26012
I don't do anything to ants that are outside because they keep the termites under control.

The barrier spray we use to keep spiders out of the house seems to work to keep the ants out as well. The other good thing is eucalyptus oil rubbed on door and window openings.

Same here! The ants outside are not a problem to me. Don't get them inside but the house is treated!

The ants destroyed a lot of my vegetable plants (especially the young ones) by disturbing the roots or eating them which is why I want to get rid of them. I've got seedlings on the kitchen windowsill and I don't want to plant them out if they are going to be killed within a week. I need to get rid of the ants first.

In Oz they are part of the landscape. I don't think you could get rid of them. All you'll do is move them around. Even in the UK they are hard to control. I have them under my cherry tree and they milk the aphids. I reverse wrapped packing tape around the base, and they slowed the buggers down enough for the ladybirds to do their work. But they just moved onto a bush that I can't protect. I poison them aswell, and do the boiling water. But it doesn't seem to do much.

• 3 weeks later...

I have lived in Australia for 63 years (Whyalla SA then Adelaide SA then New Guinea then Melbourne Vic), and I know how to handle ants.

Purchase a can of strong surface spray (Has more killing power than normal fly spray). The cans from the supermarket are fine. They are used for killing spiders, etc.

Follow the ants back to the hole in the ground. If you cannot do that (eg you are in an upstairs flat, and they are coming through the wall) then follow them back to the hole in the wall, And -

Liberally spray the hole.

You may have to do the same exercise a couple of times more in the near future.

I have always been able to eliminate ant problems that way.

Rob

PS I am only frightened of two things - Heights and Spiders.

I use the same trick for spiders. Takes longer to find all of their spots, but if you persevere, the incidents of spiders crawling in your open windows on hot nights will reduce by 95%

• 1 month later...

Will the oil stop spiders too? I am seeing more and more little spiders in the house but have a real dislike of chemicals due to young kids :)

it would be comical if it wasn't so tragic, there are just as many if not more ants in the UK, but we don't have as big a problem because for the most part the houses are actually sealed.

fuel and poison companies must love Australia!

we found in our place its best to put food down, that way they will form a nice neat line to take the food back to the nest. by doing this you can find out which hole in your 'shack' the are getting through. fill this hole, put the ants out with a dustpan n brush, job done.

i dont mean to offend with the word shack, from what ive seen in my time in Australia the vast majority of homes are closer to shacks than houses, in comparison to the uk. extremely poorly sealed from the elements. its kinda my bug bear about the place lol

rant over :wink:

Archived