Being attacked becoming part of the job

tinaisrar

After a long day at work today it comes to an end with a good friend, a staff nurse, working with me getting attacked and completely unprovoked. An alcoholic in patient on detox walks up to her says excuse me, she turns to speak and gets punched in face blacks out and he continues assault on her. Comes round as were getting him of her! Bless the other men in the bay screaming wanting to help but are bedbound.

Makes you think in this job though how much we use security now due to level of violence within hospitals but after today needs must hey, but then we get told we have to manage all this on short staff and mostly without security (not this occasion i must add)

However though MANY patients refrain from this behaviour, it is becoming increasingly noticeable the level of violence.

I wonder how the hospitals are in Oz........similar in running or not, would be interesting to find out............Hey ho i enjoy my job though........the naughty ones and the nice :) x

Yes i've been threatened by patients before, it's scary, they actually mean it, some mentally ill, some not. I've been scratched and hit before but that was in a care home and they weren't compos mentis

It is scary and not nice, its actually very intimidating because your reactions are completely different compared to outside of work (ethics and all that).......this guy though had full capacity though and actually said id did it as you were annoying me,,,,,,,just by asking if he needed analgesia.....anyway i guess its become what we expect now on a daily basis x

I'm a student nurse and I got punched and pinned up against the wall on my first placement (both different patients) xx

oh dear now thats bad luck and twice..........well i guess you had plenty to write on your reflections lol........hope u were ok x

He shouldn't be treated then if he's with it and just did it because 'she annoyed him'!

5 police officers surrounding me and dr as were assessing him, Dr did not want to release him yet...........they were waiting to arrest him......cant refuse treatment though. Now has a lovely little side room with personal body guards!!

He should be charged with assault. I used to work on A & E and think we were too soft wouldnt put up with it now from the likes of him. I appreciate its different in the elderly IF mental illness, unwell that kind of thing but certainly not in your pals case Tinaisrar

Sad to hear what you in Health and Care put up with,no excuse for beating a woman up,alcoholic or not

Completely agree with you pablo no excuse........yet there becomes many of them!...............Hey Pablo wheres you name come from, is it nickname or italian link or just what you thought of, odd question i know just nosey me lol x

He should be charged with assault. I used to work on A & E and think we were too soft wouldnt put up with it now from the likes of him. I appreciate its different in the elderly IF mental illness, unwell that kind of thing but certainly not in your pals case Tinaisrar
. when i left further discussion going on with Dr, we shall see i guess its what everyone wants to do but state of mind currently being assessed x

Completely agree with you pablo no excuse........yet there becomes many of them!...............Hey Pablo wheres you name come from, is it nickname or italian link or just what you thought of, odd question i know just nosey me lol x

Where im from in Liverpool they always changed your first name,if it was possible anyway,dont know what yer'd do with "Ian"",for instance?!

Names like mine,Paul ,were changed to Paulo,Pablo,etc,Peter was Pedro for instance,dont ask me why tho lol!

So no,its not to do with Italian links,but weirdly my great grand parents are Italian!

Where im from in Liverpool they always changed your first name,if it was possible anyway,dont know what yer'd do with "Ian"",for instance?!

Names like mine,Paul ,were changed to Paulo,Pablo,etc,Peter was Pedro for instance,dont ask me why tho lol!

So no,its not to do with Italian links,but weirdly my great grand parents are Italian!

Ahhhhhh ok i see well thanks for telling me :) and strange u were called that and the link to grandparents :)

Guest Guest26012
yeah same everywhere i guess, hopefully less patients to manage though....hoping :) x

less patients but no nursing assistants so not much difference tbh, but I love my job so it doesn't matter :biggrin:

Hospitals are a hazard that's for sure.

Personally in my 11 years in the Nhs I was only threatened once and that was with a shoe!!

Last week though my daughter was threatened twice in one hour while waiting at A & E at Royal Perth Hospital. First time was verbally by a guy who then pulled a knife (not on her though, thankfully).

then a again verbally by some aboriginals, who screamed at her that she was white trash etc etc.

She is only 17 and was on her own. Ended up locking herself in the toilets and phoning us to come and get her.

there wasnt any security people, but the police were called when the guy pulled the knife.

We have a security guard at the Emergency entrance. Didn`t stop one of our patients last week who brough a gun in.... wanted to use it on himself. We have a police switch in the halls and desks, if someone hits anyone, his ass is going to be thrown out. I was hoping that there is a security guard in the hospital in Australia, I don`t know if it`s just the emergency department issue but we DO need them - usually just for hot heads to mellow a little

Aus is just the same according to medical people I know. GPs get threatened if they will not give out the drugs people need. Drugs and alcohol are big problems in emergency and also people seem to be losing respect for people holding the needle. Why sorry journos have to leave it at your door, adverse comments and articles about hospitals and docs is having a bad effect on expectations of people. I think there definitely needs to be more security at hospitals not just for the staff but the other patients who are also in the hospital.

Can only speak for where I work but assaults still happen because you can't take people out of the equation, however, there is zero tolerance and management support you in pressing charges with the police

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I work in a prison here in the UK, one of the most notorious prisons and there's violence almost every day. I personally have lost count of the assaults I have suffered over the last 25 years, but my feeling is, we are expected to accept this as part of our job. I have been spat on, head butted, punched, hit with a metal tray which was aimed at my head, kicked, hit with a chair, attacked with a make shift knife and then bitten once I disarmed them. I was thrown down the metal stairs on the top landing of the prison, damaging all the ligaments on my ribs, which was agony the prisoner was sectioned off. A friend of mine was attacked at work and almost stamped to death, but the culprit was actually taken to court, but he got off with it. None of my assaults, got anywhere with the police, most were considered to be not in the public interest, because they were already serving a long sentence. Any nurse being assaulted, the police should arrest the culprits and they should go to court, but what should happen and what does happen is completely different, as I have discovered from my own personal experiences.

Archived