How Did We Lose Britains Freedoms?

nicolac34

Its funny,when I lived in Australia I didn't realise people in the UK have so much freedom to walk where they want.I left the UK as a small child so couldn't remember!Then years later,I returned to Australia from the UK with my british OH.We were driving through countryside and he asked me to pull over so we could walk over the hills.I had to explain to him,you just can't do that in Australia!

Just out of interest,why can;t you order a double of a spirit in a pub?Or did I read that wrong?I think its always nice to hear some positive views of the UK!Its not all doom and gloom you know!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure how Australia can lose Britains freedoms.

Arnt we different countries?

We have never had footpaths between little villages, it would be too far to walk. We have only ever had highways.

We have never had two lots of oranges on traffic lights. In Tibet they have a digital countdown on each light to tell you how long until they change to red or green. How did Britain lose Tibets freedom.........(three lies for the price of one there!)

For those that are that concerned about regaining the freedoms of Britain that have never been manifested in Australia, I suggest that you immigrate to Britain. You will then be happy as you have muddy footpaths, two views of orange traffic lights and painted roundabouts. Life is all about the simple things, isn't it?

Looking at the violence on the streets of both countries after clubs spill out it seems to me that we need to lose a lot of personal freedom to protect innocent people going about their lives. Not a day goes by that I do not read in a paper of some poor person being bashed, maimed for life all for people feeling they have freedom to do as they like.

When we choose to live in a town or city we need rules and regulations, us humans are not that good at self control as has been proved time and time again.

The reason we do not go walking over the hills in the national parks is unless we are very experienced in bush walking we are liable to disappear and cost the country a lot of money finding us if in fact they do.

As has been said Aus is not UK and if people love the way things are done in the UK, there is an answer. Stay there because its different in Aus, NZ or any other country for that matter. Each country has laws to suit the populations expectations.

So think on when migrating anywhere we are going to a place with different ideals to the ones we are used to and we need to accept this.

I have found Australians to be a very compliant lot...The majority believe their Government really cares about them and does the best for them, when in reality

its completely the opposite..The Govt here is not far from being like the Gestapo..actually. You can even be fined for not crossing the road at a pedestrian crossing.

You can even be fined for not crossing the road at a pedestrian crossing.

In the UK you can be fined for eating an apple in the car, smoking in the car, dropping a cigarette, dropping an apple core, handing out leaflets in the wrong area, putting your bin out on the wrong day, overfilling your bin, feeding the ducks out of the pond (is considered littering). Let's not forget the CCTV enforcement of road junctions and car parks...

We were driving through countryside and he asked me to pull over so we could walk over the hills.I had to explain to him,you just can't do that in Australia!

Well, you can in 99% of Australia. It's called the bush! :biggrin:

This must have been written by a tourist to Britain.

Yes, there is a 'right to roam' in the countryside on prescribed paths. But don't stray onto private land - then you will not like the attitude of the land owner.

Yes, the UK has an amber traffic lights. I have got used to the lack of it in Oz. Hardly a deal breaker.

After 50 years living in the UK, I can tell you that the pros and cons are far deeper than the article. The class system for one - don't get me started!!

We came to Oz because the cons outweighed the pros - big time!!

Australia is a great place to live. Be proud of it. You are lucky to live here.

Pedestrian crossings are built for a purpose, hopefully to stop people being run down by traffic. If you J walk and get caught be happy pay the fine, at least you did not get killed or maimed and you may actually learn to use the crossing.

I have to agree about the armed police in Oz though. Was disappointed that they packed guns as every day wear. The States have proved that armed police, and guns in general, do not make for a safer society.

Guest Ptp113
I have to agree about the armed police in Oz though. Was disappointed that they packed guns as every day wear. The States have proved that armed police, and guns in general, do not make for a safer society.

Most people had/have guns in Australia unlike Britain. Still pretty much the case here.

Guest guest74886
Nothing compared to nanny state Blighty. I buy pommy steam railway mags for one, and every second paragraph is about nanny Blighty and how the Euro Parliament tells them what to Do. Same on the pommy aviation forums, nanny this and nanny that. No wonder so many want to move to Oz or have done already...

What,you're a closet train and plane spotter anorak then as well as a dyed in the wool Aussie defender.

Guest guest74886
Something I find very funny about this conversation: people born into the British NHS and social welfare system criticising another country for being a nanny state. :biglaugh:

Yes but it's a nanny state that works

Funny all I can remember are those 'keep off the grass' signs all over the UK ( never seen them in Australia) Also the tv license ( what's that about?)- no free tv in the UK. When you go to the UK they cross question you about how long you are staying, how much money you have- never had that here, either.

There was a time Aussies paid for the ABC as Brits do for the BBC. Thankfully the 1972 Labor Government put a stop to that and it hasn't been introduced. Although I must admit at one time the BBC did offer a great service.

I guess it depends on one's definition of nanny state. I lived in France before Australia, a very non conformist state compared with Australia or England. But the one irritant there was the not walking on grass rule in many places. To top it of a local groundsman or whatever role they called themselves would get very abusive when an infringement was made.

Never ceased to amuse me as in most other things French are very anti authoritarian when it comes to rules. Still have a great medical system though, but that is looked on as a birth right. The thirty five hour week not bad either.

Guest guest74886
Most people had/have guns in Australia unlike Britain. Still pretty much the case here.

Yes but at least in the UK police don't routinely shoot innocent people dead because they can't be A**sed to tackle them or talk them down.

Guest Ptp113
What,you're a closet train and plane spotter anorak then as well as a dyed in the wool Aussie defender.

Never been a plane spotter (is there such a thing?), just ex RAAF and keep in touch. Ex train spotter like millions of PB's were 55 years ago. And not hard to defend the best place on the planet to live. You know You're like a bad smell that won't evaporate, shouldn't you have done the Pommy Run some time ago?

Yes but at least in the UK police don't routinely shoot innocent people dead because they can't be A**sed to tackle them or talk them down.

The way things are in the UK these days perhaps they should be carrying guns, Jo/Joe public seem to be well armed. Silly not to be also.

TBH Im not sure you have much of an argument with that comment,, both police services have 'issues, but your statement falls on its face IMO with the likes of Azelle Rodney,Anthony Grainger, Jerry Waller etc

Cal x

Guest guest74886
Never been a plane spotter (is there such a thing?), just ex RAAF and keep in touch. Ex train spitterlike millions of PB's were 55 years ago. And not hard to defend the best place on the planet to live. You know You're like a bad smell that won't evaporate, shouldn't you have done the Pommy Run some time ago?

Ouch, so much defensiveness, can't take a bit of ribbing can we, isn't that what all the Aussies cry when we have a whinge.

Certainly isn't routine in Australia either - but you know that. If you're looking for examples of the police being too trigger happy, think of Jean Charles de Menezes, Azelle Rodney or Harry Stanley - all of them shot and killed by armed police in the UK and all of them un-armed.

Guest guest74886

There have been cases where the UK police have shot innocent, or what appeared subsequently, to be innocent people, but there has been serious questions asked of the police involved and there has been inquiries into why it happened and there have been questions by politicians and a whole furore over it happening and quite fundamental questions about the use of firearms in law enforcement and those enquiries and furore happen within days not 12 months after the event when its no longer news, here it goes almost without question and the obvious coverups by police here are just an everyday occurrence which goes by with hardly a murmur.

As for the ease with which firearms are available here is quite unbelievable and the freedom which people have to use them similar, the NSW govt is seriously going to allow hunting in State Parks which people are supposed to use for recreation

Good article but could have gone further. Australia is indeed a very over regulated nanny state. From Cycle helmets (rejected by UK governments) to over bearing , power crazed pub security. No wonder have witnessed several incidents over the past few years between them and Irish and another one with a Scotsman involved.

Many other issues with regards the rules and little trust in the population doing the right thing and as thus must be controlled.

As a young person having lived in both countries at the time, I certainly found England far more conducive to particular freedoms important at the time than a conformist inclined Australia, which has if anything become more inclined to go along that path.

The cycle helmet rule saved a mate of mines life so I reckon it's OK. Pub security is just the same here as it is in the UK. When I was at Uni in Birmingham they were really strict in the City Centre and wouldn't let me in, even with my girlfriend, a couple of times as I didn't have a shirt with a collar on. I went to a pub in Solihull with a West Indian friend and they wouldn't let us in because of who we were with. Didn't like his kind in Solihull. The bouncer tried to use the excuse of him having trainers on but he had just let me walk in with just about the same pair.

No wonder have witnessed several incidents over the past few years between them and Irish and another one with a Scotsman involved.

I think that says more about the attitudes of some Scottish, Irish and if you go to Joondalup, English customers than it does about bouncers in pubs. Never seen as many trouble causing idiots as in Joondalup, guess where most of them are from. Just like being back in Chesterfield on Friday nights.

Archived