Wildlife thread

Guest51810

Anything our big pussy cat doesn't eat, I put out for the possum who has lived in the garage roof for many years. Last night I looked out and there were 2 big hairy bums side by side- pussy and possum eating the remains together!

So you allow your cat to free roam ? Very irresponsible and thankfully Australia is looking to introduce a ban on cats being allowed to free roam for the sake of the native wildlife.

I have absolutely no doubt at all that unfortunately many will disregard the law, there are regrettably way too many irresponsible cat owners and they will totally ignore the law. The only loser is the native wildlife.

Good one, @bristolman. When Steve Irwin was starting out doing films for tv, he went to a waterhole in western Queensland to film the wildlife. In all, he filmed 43 feral cats and, from memory, 2 birds...

Sadly, people don't, or won't, realise the damage cats do to small native creatures.

In 1965 I came across a few feral cats in the Great Sandy Desert of WA; the nearest dwelling, Wallal Downs, was 110 km away.

Cheers, Bobj.

Good one, @bristolman. When Steve Irwin was starting out doing films for tv, he went to a waterhole in western Queensland to film the wildlife. In all, he filmed 43 feral cats and, from memory, 2 birds...

Sadly, people don't, or won't, realise the damage cats do to small native creatures.

In 1965 I came across a few feral cats in the Great Sandy Desert of WA; the nearest dwelling, Wallal Downs, was 110 km away.

Cheers, Bobj.

By and large people don't care or they don't think their lovely little cat would possibly kill anything. Cats, both feral and 'pet' do a massive amount of damage but I can guarantee that the overwhelming majority of cat owners on here allow their cats to free roam both day and night, they should be ashamed but I bet they arent.

I cut a big bunch of bananas yesterday and, after stringing the bunch, set about cleaning the plant up.

This beaut little chappie ran over my hand as I was unloading the bits and pieces from the wheelbarrow...

IMG_0009_zps9gz2bqyx.jpg

Biggest one yet, guessed at 15 cm (6")

Cheers, Bobj.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

During the 'dark of the moon, the demersal fish had a big Nookey Night. The next night, the spawn that wasn't fertilised, rose to the surface and started drifting to the mainland from the reef. The sun's light and heat turned the dead spawn into blue/green algae (trichodesmium) and it has reached our shores and STINKS!!

I took a coupla pics of the tricho...

Blue and green

IMG_0020_zpsznvbvg8f.jpg

And red...

IMG_0019_zpsnoxyncbw.jpg[/uL]

Cheers, Bobj.

Hi Bob,

Great pics mate, I really enjoy this thread.

I'm interested in your linking of red tides and demersal spawning. Is this something that is well known scientifically, or is it something that you've just noticed have correlated in the past? If the former, I'd love to read any links you can provide.

Hi Bob,

Great pics mate, I really enjoy this thread.

I'm interested in your linking of red tides and demersal spawning. Is this something that is well known scientifically, or is it something that you've just noticed have correlated in the past? If the former, I'd love to read any links you can provide.

G'day mate, thanksarrow-10x10.png for the comments.

The GBR has 3 spawnings on moonless nights in late Oct, Nov and December. These are a well known fact, so much so that the fishos are warned NOT to take reef fish during these periods.

[h=2]Coral reef fin fish closures[/h] The Queensland Government has announced the Coral reef fin fish closed season dates for the next five years which will provide certainty and long-term planning for fishers.

Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry John McVeigh said setting the dates in advance would assist fishers in their planning.

“Tourism operators and commercial fishers will benefit from being able to plan ahead for their businesses,” Mr McVeigh said.

“Recreational fishing is loved by many Queenslanders and visitors to our Great State and this will allow them to pre-plan their fishing trips.

“This Government is delivering better planning for our fishers and is focused on growing our four pillar economy.”

The closure dates are:

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD] Year

[/TD]

[TD] Closure 1

[/TD]

[TD] Closure 2

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] 2014

[/TD]

[TD] 21 October to 25 October

[/TD]

[TD] 19 November to 23 November

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] 2015

[/TD]

[TD] 10 October to 14 October

[/TD]

[TD] 9 November to 13 November

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Also, divers out there go on guide boats and to see the coral spawnings one night a year in December...I think it is one night.

Might have to do a google search to get the 'nitty gritty'.

Note...The December spawn coincides with school holidays and therefore, is not counted as a 'closed' time.

Cheers, Bobj.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Time to resurrect

Found this roost today, Black flying fox roosting with Brown (grey headed).

One of the hardest things I've tried to shoot as they roost with their backs to the sun, hence their face is in the shade. As if that isn't bad enough, the dark of their fur fools the exposure meter so you have to over-expose to get any detail. Add to that the rain yesterday and despite the sun today, so much moisture in the air softens the image. Anyways, I've done my best with a bit of post processing (Photoshopping as PB calls it) ............enjoy..........they may look cute but remember, they carry the Hendra virus which is a killer.

24057117923_0315baabd8_b.jpgFruit Bat - Flying Fox (20) by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

24590465861_272a25788e_b.jpgFruit Bat - Flying Fox (19) by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

24388883380_442aff78a4_b.jpgFruit Bat - Flying Fox (17) by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

24055913784_a5fe23c99d_b.jpgFruit Bat - Flying Fox (15) by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

24684413615_45ef01405d_b.jpgFruit Bat - Flying Fox (4) by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

24057624593_013d31542e_b.jpg(Black) Fruit Bat - Flying Fox (3) by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

24316813639_5ff8ca879d_b.jpg(Black) Fruit Bat - Flying Fox (2) by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

24388838110_185d085547_b.jpgFruit Bat - Flying Fox (7) by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...