Wildlife thread

Guest51810

What happened to the baby sunbird? Did they parents still feed him outside the nest? I put a baby bird back to the nest once, looked it up the next day and it was dead :sad:. Not sure because it was injured in the fall or because it wasn`t fed.

My grandad said that you can't touch baby birds because you rub their scent onto it, once you do that the parents abandon it because they know it's been near humans.

So either keep the baby or don't touch it at all.

Edited by BritChickx

The only wildlife i have in my garden is the usual garden birds, pesky cats who try and eat the garden birds, bugs and the two magpies who come and annoy me every single day lol. Anytime im out and see wildlife like rabbits, kingfisher etc i never have my camera and my phones usually died of battery! I'll try and get some nice pics sometime to add to the thread. Do cows count lol?

Stacey, that's something I love about Aus, the lizards! I think they're beautiful and love to see the tiny ones on the rocks. Last year I was walking in the sunshine on a bridal path (in Norfolk) and saw a tiny lizard and it felt like I'd won the lottery!

Stacey, that's something I love about Aus, the lizards! I think they're beautiful and love to see the tiny ones on the rocks. Last year I was walking in the sunshine on a bridal path (in Norfolk) and saw a tiny lizard and it felt like I'd won the lottery!

Thats what im like when i see them too lol i get excited! We saw loads in italy last year and in portugal they used to sit beside us on the wall lol was funny watching them. I love the look of the australian birds aswell - the lorikeets etc

Following recent flooding the spiders moved up the plants and fences to spin their webs, I did not take this photo, had it sent to me by friend.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19979[/ATTACH]

Oiiii i told you no more spiders lol jk. Ive saw a similar one to that before. Somebody put up a pic once of a sign that was absolutely covered in spiders of all different sizes. Think i had nightmares for a week!

My grandad said that you can't touch baby birds because you rub their scent onto it, once you do that the parents abandon it because they know it's been near humans.

So either keep the baby or don't touch it at all.

And I thought I was doing the best thing... it didn`t even have feathers yet :frown: . I seriously need a manual about caring for abandoned/injured animals. I`ve got the post where Kate ( Pom Queen) described in detail how to check roadkill kangaroo for a joey in it`s pouch saved in my inbox.

I love them on the barbie....the meat is so tender.

Article this weekend in the paper about what an under-utilised food source they are. They should be a popular choice. Healthy, organic, cheap, tasty, low fat meat etc. But many Aussies still won't eat them due to what they call the 'Skippy effect'. People are squeamish about eating their national emblem.

Article this weekend in the paper about what an under-utilised food source they are. They should be a popular choice. Healthy, organic, cheap, tasty, low fat meat etc. But many Aussies still won't eat them due to what they call the 'Skippy effect'. People are squeamish about eating their national emblem.

At least, we can eat ours, not like a myth and an extinct creature...:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

• 2 months later...

Last night we had avisiter and PJ started barking. I got up to see what the commotion was and here is the result, a gorgeous bandicoot; about as big as a cavy.

Slightly out of focus...but only had a second, or so to 'shoot' the little chappie.

1192013002_zps22da6745.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.