Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll just have to hope that they are still recruiting into the pool? Is this still the case at the mo?

I'm still waiting on my AHPRHA as the docs were signed by a solicitor initially so I had to resend them signed again by a magistrate...consequently its pointless even contacting QLD health HR recruitments...but I will when its through and hopefully getting a little bit of a head start although my other thought was....will they even look at my emails/applications etc until I'm actually on QLD soil??

Thanks again for yours and your OH help :)

Yes, it seems the pool is always ongoing as nurses from the pool are constantly being fed into permanent positions.....................the pool is a way of "putting yourself out there" and once you get noticed, you stand a better chance of being approached/considered once positions arise.

Unfortunately, my understanding is that the public sector won't even consider you (unless a regional shortage) until you set foot on Oz soil. This wasn't the case 10 or so years ago but you only have "time wasters" to thank for that. Too many migrants applied for positions without actually filling them on arrival. You'd be amazed how many were given interviews on validating their visas, only to eventually go to other states or not even come to oz at all. Of course, the private sector is different as the sector has had to recruit from outside Oz, but even that may change now that many nurses have taken vol redundancy from the public sector with the intention of being re-employed in the private.

Yes, it seems the pool is always ongoing as nurses from the pool are constantly being fed into permanent positions.....................the pool is a way of "putting yourself out there" and once you get noticed, you stand a better chance of being approached/considered once positions arise.

Unfortunately, my understanding is that the public sector won't even consider you (unless a regional shortage) until you set foot on Oz soil. This wasn't the case 10 or so years ago but you only have "time wasters" to thank for that. Too many migrants applied for positions without actually filling them on arrival. You'd be amazed how many were given interviews on validating their visas, only to eventually go to other states or not even come to oz at all. Of course, the private sector is different as the sector has had to recruit from outside Oz, but even that may change now that many nurses have taken vol redundancy from the public sector with the intention of being re-employed in the private.

thanks kev...how do i contact the pool is it through qld health or just pop in when i arrive at my local hospitals hr dept??

thanks kev...how do i contact the pool is it through qld health or just pop in when i arrive at my local hospitals hr dept??

In person Sam. If you were coming up this way, Bridget could arrange an interview for you. Nums have a fair amount of autonomy when it comes to employing staff...................applications wouldn't even get to a NUM if they went through HR and at The Prince Charles, HR is now off site but I don't know if that's the same with other public hospitals. If you see a role advertised in the media, then by all means go for it via HR, but most roles are filled internally atm so if you know someone on the inside, you're more in with a chance.

eg PIO member Generalis has gained her EN since coming to Oz (at her own expense), but whilst training, Bridget got her a part time roll as an AIN on her ward which helped with her prac. Once qualified, she had to continue in the AIN role until an EN role became available on another ward. The fact that she was already employed within the hospital and known, with internal referees, albeit as an AIN, got her the EN job. She will be going for RN in the near future.

In person Sam. If you were coming up this way, Bridget could arrange an interview for you. Nums have a fair amount of autonomy when it comes to employing staff...................applications wouldn't even get to a NUM if they went through HR and at The Prince Charles, HR is now off site but I don't know if that's the same with other public hospitals. If you see a role advertised in the media, then by all means go for it via HR, but most roles are filled internally atm so if you know someone on the inside, you're more in with a chance.

eg PIO member Generalis has gained her EN since coming to Oz (at her own expense), but whilst training, Bridget got her a part time roll as an AIN on her ward which helped with her prac. Once qualified, she had to continue in the AIN role until an EN role became available on another ward. The fact that she was already employed within the hospital and known, with internal referees, albeit as an AIN, got her the EN job. She will be going for RN in the near future.

Thank you Kev

That would be amazing ...anything to get a foot in the door would be a massive help.

We are looking to come over in Feb to validate our visa and organise bits and bobs like tax file numbers, driving licences etc so would be really grateful if I could be in touch around then as I'm not sure of the distance from my sisters house in Ipswich?

Like Generalis I am more than happy to work my way up, and am hoping to work in an agency or pool as we mentioned to learn the ropes Thankyou very much for your help :biggrin:

Thank you Kev

That would be amazing ...anything to get a foot in the door would be a massive help.

We are looking to come over in Feb to validate our visa and organise bits and bobs like tax file numbers, driving licences etc so would be really grateful if I could be in touch around then as I'm not sure of the distance from my sisters house in Ipswich?

Like Generalis I am more than happy to work my way up, and am hoping to work in an agency or pool as we mentioned to learn the ropes Thankyou very much for your help :biggrin:

Yeah, keep in touch chook, by pm if preferred...........I promise not to delete them again.

One thing I will re-iterate to yourself but mainly to others,.................employment is the priority. It makes or breaks migrants who have their sights set on just one location/type of employment. Long commutes/lack of opportunity, just because the mind is set on being in one particular place can spell disaster. I've seen folk retun to the UK skint just because they wanted to live near rellies/friends (in Oz) when there was no work opportunity. They could have moved 50ks away from their family in Oz, found employment, and still be here. Instead, they made the wrong decisions and aren't near their family anyway, in fact, they're now even further away.

The same goes for (types of) employment..................and I know this doesn't concern you 'cause you and hubby are open to anything. PIO member Generalis was a PA to certain high flyers and had worked as PA to local politicians etc. She had experience laying on functions etc for hundreds of guests..................did she stick with that? No, she saw how hard it was to get her foot through the door so re-trained in something she had always wanted as a youngster.

The same goes for another PIO member who now lives a few doors away from me. She was a team leader in disability support in the UK working with disabled prisoners. We spent weeks at the computer searching for roles and me taking her to interviews that yeilded nothing. In the end she said, "feck this! I'll do anything". Bridget suggested a wardies (porters) job at the hospital and the rest is hitory. She loves it and is earning more than she would in disability support. Her hubby is a gas fiitter/plumber who couldn't find decent work. He's now a storeman in a plumbing wholesalers and enjoying being "off the tools".

If both those families had adopted the attitude of some migrants, then they wouldn't now be home owners in regular steady employment and lapping it up! You have to do what you have to, if you want to remian here. Those who won't think outside the box and return to the UK because thay can't work in their chosen field or live in their chosen area, don't "want it" enough.....................end of lecture :wacko:

Yeah, keep in touch chook, by pm if preferred...........I promise not to delete them again.

One thing I will re-iterate to yourself but mainly to others,.................employment is the priority. It makes or breaks migrants who have their sights set on just one location/type of employment. Long commutes/lack of opportunity, just because the mind is set on being in one particular place can spell disaster. I've seen folk retun to the UK skint just because they wanted to live near rellies/friends (in Oz) when there was no work opportunity. They could have moved 50ks away from their family in Oz, found employment, and still be here. Instead, they made the wrong decisions and aren't near their family anyway, in fact, they're now even further away.

The same goes for (types of) employment..................and I know this doesn't concern you 'cause you and hubby are open to anything. PIO member Generalis was a PA to certain high flyers and had worked as PA to local politicians etc. She had experience laying on functions etc for hundreds of guests..................did she stick with that? No, she saw how hard it was to get her foot through the door so re-trained in something she had always wanted as a youngster.

The same goes for another PIO member who now lives a few doors away from me. She was a team leader in disability support in the UK working with disabled prisoners. We spent weeks at the computer searching for roles and me taking her to interviews that yeilded nothing. In the end she said, "feck this! I'll do anything". Bridget suggested a wardies (porters) job at the hospital and the rest is hitory. She loves it and is earning more than she would in disability support. Her hubby is a gas fiitter/plumber who couldn't find decent work. He's now a storeman in a plumbing wholesalers and enjoying being "off the tools".

If both those families had adopted the attitude of some migrants, then they wouldn't now be home owners in regular steady employment and lapping it up! You have to do what you have to, if you want to remian here. Those who won't think outside the box and return to the UK because thay can't work in their chosen field or live in their chosen area, don't "want it" enough.....................end of lecture :wacko:

Hi Johndoe, what you've said really rings true. My husband and I are just starting on our journey of looking at emigrating to oz, we have no idea where we want to go or settle in oz. We don't really mind as long as we both have jobs I would ideally like to work as a nurse as that is what I trained in, but as my hubby has said as long as our quality of life is better than what we are currently experiencing and the cost of living is affordable then we will give it 100%.

Vicky

Hey Thanks Kev, I wouldn't say that was a lecture more like sound advice...I agree that employment has to be our priority adn I suppose after giving it all lots of thought I'm happy to take a few steps back to begin climbing a new ladder again! So to speak lol.

In an ideal world I would love to think that I could be successful in gaining a clinical educators post on a band 7 with all of the flexibility and autonomy I have now, however I'm enjoying the idea of working as a registered nurse, and simply nursing again! Learning the ropes by doing it and grabbing the opportunities that might come along on the way!

My main focus it to try and get a permanent pool position (casual in the first instance if necessary) and work around and about, do you know if they have permanent/casual pool positions for AIN's or anything similar for orderly's or wardsman? My hubby would be happy to work as a pizza delivery man to get a job and learn the local area, but would love the positions I have just mentioned and has the expereince.

An open mind and cheery disposition has got us this far :biggrin:.

Thanks again for your help and advice...it is truly invaluable!

My main focus it to try and get a permanent pool position (casual in the first instance if necessary) and work around and about, do you know if they have permanent/casual pool positions for AIN's or anything similar for orderly's or wardsman? My hubby would be happy to work as a pizza delivery man to get a job and learn the local area, but would love the positions I have just mentioned and has the expereince.

An open mind and cheery disposition has got us this far :biggrin:.

Thanks again for your help and advice...it is truly invaluable!

The wardie in the post above is my daughter-in law. She got in just at the right time as they've also cut back on the wardies and had redundancies, mainly voluntary. In some ways, it was a good thing because there was a lot of dead wood and the survivors are those who would gladly do a bit of ward cleaning as well as pushing patients down to x ray and such. Some thought that cleaning was below them and they've either gone, or learned to 'toe the party line" The "pool" is not casual.........you are actually employed on a permanent basis with the same conditions as those in regular employ. That said, it's casual in it's approach in that you get to request your hours............the pool suits those whose partners are on shifts or who want to work round things such as school pick-up etc. You go where needed (holidays, sickness etc) and it is actually a good way to get yourself known and to figure out which ward you would like to be on when you want more permanent hours/position. There is a pool for wardies as well as for nurses but the wardies tend to have to sit at the end of a phone waiting for a call...........the nursing pool is more "structured"

We can't tell what the situation will be like by the time you get here because not only was the Qld Gov't changed, so too (now) has the Federal Gov't. The only thing that we can promise is that we will try and help where we can and as I say, it's always best to know someone on the inside as they can give you the full picture at any particular time.

The wardie in the post above is my daughter-in law. She got in just at the right time as they've also cut back on the wardies and had redundancies, mainly voluntary. In some ways, it was a good thing because there was a lot of dead wood and the survivors are those who would gladly do a bit of ward cleaning as well as pushing patients down to x ray and such. Some thought that cleaning was below them and they've either gone, or learned to 'toe the party line" The "pool" is not casual.........you are actually employed on a permanent basis with the same conditions as those in regular employ. That said, it's casual in it's approach in that you get to request your hours............the pool suits those whose partners are on shifts or who want to work round things such as school pick-up etc. You go where needed (holidays, sickness etc) and it is actually a good way to get yourself known and to figure out which ward you would like to be on when you want more permanent hours/position. There is a pool for wardies as well as for nurses but the wardies tend to have to sit at the end of a phone waiting for a call...........the nursing pool is more "structured"

We can't tell what the situation will be like by the time you get here because not only was the Qld Gov't changed, so too (now) has the Federal Gov't. The only thing that we can promise is that we will try and help where we can and as I say, it's always best to know someone on the inside as they can give you the full picture at any particular time.

It really is so helpful to know...i'll send you a PM in a mo :smile:

doing my ielts today! done other parts , just waiting to do my speaking ..i dont think my writing section was good enough for 8

Good luck! I remember it so well...I thought 'd done terribly on my writing and got 8.5!! so you'll never no till its marked and no point worrying till then, is it still 2 weeks to wait for the results?!

:wubclub:

Good luck! I remember it so well...I thought 'd done terribly on my writing and got 8.5!! so you'll never no till its marked and no point worrying till then, is it still 2 weeks to wait for the results?!

:wubclub:

thankyou ... yes still 2 weeks to wait for results , i felt sorry for the non uk nationals because if i was stressed about it , what were they like , thanks though i hope i havent got to do it again !!

Hi All,

Do you have a set nursing shift pattern in QLD, I am wondering if its possible to work long days...here that would be 7.30am - 9pm long but great for continuity and you work three long days per week?

Please share your shift patters and where you work? Comparison will be interesting...

I'll start;

Blackpool Teaching Hospitals - UK

Early 7.30 am - 4pm

Late 12.30pm - 9pm

Night 9pm - 8am

Twilight 6pm - 2am

Long days 7.30 -9pm

Thanks for the info xxx :cute:

Hi All,

Do you have a set nursing shift pattern in QLD, I am wondering if its possible to work long days...here that would be 7.30am - 9pm long but great for continuity and you work three long days per week?

Please share your shift patters and where you work? Comparison will be interesting...

I'll start;

Blackpool Teaching Hospitals - UK

Early 7.30 am - 4pm

Late 12.30pm - 9pm

Night 9pm - 8am

Twilight 6pm - 2am

Long days 7.30 -9pm

Thanks for the info xxx :cute:

That may be down to individual hospitals/NUM's Sam so I can't speak for elsewhere. They're steering away from it at my wife's hospital, despite many nurses thinking it better for continuity and there are no long shifts atm.

Early shift 7.00am - 3.30pm

(Early) Late 1.30pm - 10.00pm

Late 2.30pm - 11.00pm

Night 11.00pm - 7.30am

They used to have an early night start at 9pm but that got scrubbed in the latest round of cuts

That may be down to individual hospitals/NUM's Sam so I can't speak for elsewhere. They're steering away from it at my wife's hospital, despite many nurses thinking it better for continuity and there are no long shifts atm.

Early shift 7.00am - 3.30pm

(Early) Late 1.30pm - 10.00pm

Late 2.30pm - 11.00pm

Night 11.00pm - 7.30am

They used to have an early night start at 9pm but that got scrubbed in the latest round of cuts

Thanks kev, could you do a late till 11 and then be rostered for an early the next day?

Thanks kev, could you do a late till 11 and then be rostered for an early the next day?

That's quite often how it works. The staff request their shifts by writing in a preliminary (fornightly) roster in advance, along with the days they prefer off, and whoever does the roster works it around that, and then the NUM signs off on it after checking that the skill mix is OK, Most requests are met as long as the skill mix is OK as it makes for more happy commited staff eg one member of staff prefers permanent nights and that is facilitated as it means the other nurses get less. Bridget usually cops for 2 nights a month, occasionaly 3.

So it’s been an eventful year, I’ve been a member on here for a while, the advice I have found on here has been really helpful. I was reluctant to post anything, as after a turbulent process of a visa application, firstly being straight out refused then due to a very good migrant agent having that decision scrapped. But now the permanent visa has been granted and my family and I are now looking to sort the move.

My wife and I are both nurses and would appreciate any advice anyone had about looking for jobs etc. We are really flexible about where we would work but are strongly considering the Queensland area. We are hoping to fly out early January 2014.

Gary

That's quite often how it works. The staff request their shifts by writing in a preliminary (fornightly) roster in advance, along with the days they prefer off, and whoever does the roster works it around that, and then the NUM signs off on it after checking that the skill mix is OK, Most requests are met as long as the skill mix is OK as it makes for more happy commited staff eg one member of staff prefers permanent nights and that is facilitated as it means the other nurses get less. Bridget usually cops for 2 nights a month, occasionaly 3.

Thanks kev, as we've previously said i'll do what ever shifts need doing to learn the ropes, i would hope that in the first instance and particularily when we first land that i could work shifts on the pool while eveyrone gets settled

Archived