Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

Hi we are re looking going on a temp visa (michelle my wife a band 6 and hating all the bs now associated with working in a foundation trust) and me just being made redundant seems its the right time etc.

We are struggling to find decent web sites for both agencies and Australian health authorities with a view to sponsored temp migration? Can anyone pm me with any info etc. Has it all changed now due to the expression of interest?

ta

Hi Garetgax...

Healthcare Australia is a an agency/recruiter that I think is looking...not sure if they are involved in sponsorship migration? Have you thought where you want to migrate too, as I know QLD are drastically reducing their sponsorship posts for nursing.

Might be worth having a chat with a local registered migtation agent for advice/help?

Sam

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sponsorship is so hard to find at present, I've been hoping for a sponsor since Jan 2013, I've now started the process of applying for PR visa, I'm also with an agency, and contacted other agents.

Sydney definitely advertise more jobs than anywhere with sponsorship, but many elsewhere that advertise clearly state in bold letters that those requiring sponsor need not apply.

Think 2013 is the worst year! :-/

Good luck though, what nursing does your partner do? Has she applied to AHPRA yet?

Sponsorship is so hard to find at present, I've been hoping for a sponsor since Jan 2013, I've now started the process of applying for PR visa, I'm also with an agency, and contacted other agents.

Sydney definitely advertise more jobs than anywhere with sponsorship, but many elsewhere that advertise clearly state in bold letters that those requiring sponsor need not apply.

Think 2013 is the worst year! :-/

Good luck though, what nursing does your partner do? Has she applied to AHPRA yet?

I hope they need more nurses over the coming years or my dreams will be shattered! The nursing agencies at the expo's make it sound like they are crying out for nurses! Fingers crossed more jobs become available x

I hope they need more nurses over the coming years or my dreams will be shattered! The nursing agencies at the expo's make it sound like they are crying out for nurses! Fingers crossed more jobs become available x

Yeah, be careful there, I went to an Expo and the agents there were the same! But they were also the same agents who had a fee! A very big fee with lots of promises!

The agency I'm with don't charge me but receive a finders fee from the actual employer / sponsor.

Woo Hoo, stage one completed, today I received my AMNAC letter of determination stating I am suitable for migration as a registered nurse in my speciality of development disability. Onwards now to APHRA, time to think about the application for registration. So relieved that stage is ok. It took 14 weeks for the assessment to be completed and less than a week from email to receipt of letter. Happy day!

Woo Hoo, stage one completed, today I received my AMNAC letter of determination stating I am suitable for migration as a registered nurse in my speciality of development disability. Onwards now to APHRA, time to think about the application for registration. So relieved that stage is ok. It took 14 weeks for the assessment to be completed and less than a week from email to receipt of letter. Happy day!

:-). Great news!!!!!

Good morning, I am looking for some advice.. My wife recently completed her nursing degree and has been offered a position in a care home (as a nurse). AS we are hoping to move to Perth WA in the future, she is in two minds whether to accept this or hold out for a hospital based position. So really just want to know has anyone on this thread worked only in a care home before moving to OZ and did it/does it harm your chances of landing a position in a hospital once you get to Oz? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Good morning, I am looking for some advice.. My wife recently completed her nursing degree and has been offered a position in a care home (as a nurse). AS we are hoping to move to Perth WA in the future, she is in two minds whether to accept this or hold out for a hospital based position. So really just want to know has anyone on this thread worked only in a care home before moving to OZ and did it/does it harm your chances of landing a position in a hospital once you get to Oz? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Hi, I wouldn't go into care home, when I qualified almost 6yrs ago a few of my student friends accepted jobs in nursing homes because there wasnt many jobs going. They got stuck there for a year and each job they applied for in UK wanted either hospital or community based exp. they found it so difficult to get out if it. So unless your wife would like to head down that root of nursing then ok, but if she would like to work in a different area then my advice would be think twice.

Good luck! & well done to your wife in qualifying!

:-)

Thanks for replying Pacticenurse. She is in two minds as to what to do, the nursing home definitely isn't her first choice but there ain't a lot out there just now so was thinking this experience might be better than no experience at all, as the more experience she has the sooner we can apply for visa :-/. Thanks again

Thanks for replying Pacticenurse. She is in two minds as to what to do, the nursing home definitely isn't her first choice but there ain't a lot out there just now so was thinking this experience might be better than no experience at all, as the more experience she has the sooner we can apply for visa :-/. Thanks again

I was in the same position, no jobs going in the hospital where I did all my placements and it was becoming very stressful, I almost considered a post in a nursing home but so glad I waited, I sent my cv off to all local hospitals , urgent care centres and GP surgeries wether they were advertising for staff or not..

I was offered a job as treatment room nurse in GP surgery in the Dec, so it was almost 4months since I'd qualified, I was really stressed about being out of work but so glad a waited for the right position. I didn't do all that hard work for 3years to just end up anywhere and hate my job. It's tough going but im sure your wife will find the right job.

Hey Wulber78

Just wondering which part of the country your currently in as I know in the Northwest there are hospital vacancies, as there is a shortage of registered nurses

Good Luck

Hello everyone,

My girlfriend is in the process of applying for her WHV. In the application she stated she intends to work in the healthcare industry as a Nurse to support her travels whilst over there. I wasn't aware immigration required you to have completed an Chest X-Ray, medical and hepatitis tests? The tests can only take place at specific practices also.

I'm assuming others have had to do this also. If so, how long did it take to get an appointment and the results back and to immigration so the visa can be processed? The 'slightly' concerning issue is we have our flights booked for 10th September and we're a little apprehensive regarding getting everything done in time. The reason we left it relatively late id because from reading about WHV previously most were processed in a matter of hours but obviously this wasn't for people who were intending to work as a nurse. But also we were looking at the possibility of sponsorship on a 457 thus avoiding the need for a WHV.

I was under the impression from agencies etc that the above medicals etc could be completed whilst over there prior to commencing any work but it seems this isn't the case for immigration purposes. It sounds like she might have been best to not declare that and then sort it out over there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kyle

Hello everyone,

My girlfriend is in the process of applying for her WHV. In the application she stated she intends to work in the healthcare industry as a Nurse to support her travels whilst over there. I wasn't aware immigration required you to have completed an Chest X-Ray, medical and hepatitis tests? The tests can only take place at specific practices also.

I'm assuming others have had to do this also. If so, how long did it take to get an appointment and the results back and to immigration so the visa can be processed? The 'slightly' concerning issue is we have our flights booked for 10th September and we're a little apprehensive regarding getting everything done in time. The reason we left it relatively late id because from reading about WHV previously most were processed in a matter of hours but obviously this wasn't for people who were intending to work as a nurse. But also we were looking at the possibility of sponsorship on a 457 thus avoiding the need for a WHV.

I was under the impression from agencies etc that the above medicals etc could be completed whilst over there prior to commencing any work but it seems this isn't the case for immigration purposes. It sounds like she might have been best to not declare that and then sort it out over there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kyle

Has your girlfriend registered with AHPRA? I think how long people wait for medical results varies, and it is right that only certain centres are licensed to carry out the medicals for immigration purposes, I know of Edinburgh, Manchester, but there are a few down south.

Has your girlfriend registered with AHPRA? I think how long people wait for medical results varies, and it is right that only certain centres are licensed to carry out the medicals for immigration purposes, I know of Edinburgh, Manchester, but there are a few down south.

I forgot about those medicals that may be referred!!! happened to my pal all was ok in the end but delayed by about 2 month! And of course Ahpra is another kettle of fish!

Thanks for your prompt response Nic and Practicenurse, not the most positive news mind you but hopefully they go through quite quickly and there's no hiccups.

Yeah she's all APHRA registered and we thought everything was sorted bar the medicals which she could undertake when she arrives. We've managed to book her in for this coming Tuesday at the Edinburgh place and have been told results take around 7-10 days to come. So hopefully they arrive and clear with immigration before we're due to fly - 5 weeks exactly from when the medical is booked for.....

Archived