Back home after 2 months

Metoo

But if you look at it from the angle as both countries diets are much a like, it's not like you've moved to Vietnam , Cambodia etc where the food is completely different. We're spoilt for choice in the UK in regards to supermarkets, coming here is like going into tesco and half the shelves being empty, so saying its something new isn't quite correct. More a sence of disappoint in many cases.

It's a completely different country, on a different continent, in a different hemisphere, with different seasons, different climate and completely different as to population structure, transport infrastructure and market subsidies: why should you expect anything to be the same?

I don't get why people expect Australia to be some offshore English county.

Would you go to Canada or the US and expect to find the same things there?

I haven't been in an English supermarket since 1988 so I can't comment on what it's like now. But I'm always amazed at the choice in my local supermarkets here compared to the situation 20, or even 10, years ago.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's a completely different country, on a different continent, in a different hemisphere, with different seasons, different climate and completely different as to population structure, transport infrastructure and market subsidies: why should you expect anything to be the same?

I don't get why people expect Australia to be some offshore English county.

Would you go to Canada or the US and expect to find the same things there?

I haven't been in an English supermarket since 1988 so I can't comment on what it's like now. But I'm always amazed at the choice in my local supermarkets here compared to the situation 20, or even 10, years ago.

Different seasons...??? What different seasons do they have here then..? Maybe it's time you went traverling around the world to see what 21 centuary supermarkets offer. It's not about Australia being England but personally I'm very disappointed with the choice you get offered here, they talk the talk but don't walk the walk

And as for your beans and tomatoes there no more healthy because there grown local.

Oh yes they are: they start to lose nutrients (particularly Vitamin C) as soon as they are picked. Something picked yesterday is going to be more nutritious than something picked 5 days ago. And you don't know what herbicides, fungicides, weedicides are being used in overseas countries which aren't permitted in your own: nor are you subjected to extra spraying as food enters the country through quarantine.

But as an adult you chose what you put into your mouth, you chose that diet in the UK. And as for your beans and tomatoes there no more healthy because there grown local.

Sorry but you're wrong on the health issue. Veg picked yesterday is going to be far fresher and therefore richer in vitamins than something picked two weeks ago in Kenya and shipped halfway round the world. Even if it wasn't healthier though, the difference in flavour is huge.

Yes, as an adult you choose your diet--but you choose from what's available. It's self centred in the extreme to expect Australia to sell the same brands as the UK just to keep Pommie immigrants happy.

Again I say turn it around...what if it was a Pakistani immigrant in the UK complaining he can't get Pakistani foods? I say embrace your new country rather than trying to create a Britain Mk. II.

Different seasons...??? What different seasons do they have here then..? Maybe it's time you went traverling around the world to see what 21 centuary supermarkets offer. It's not about Australia being England but personally I'm very disappointed with the choice you get offered here, they talk the talk but don't walk the walk

I didn't say I hadn't been travelling around the world.

I said I hadn't been in a UK supermarket since 1988.

Different seasons? You should learn some basics about weather, climate and its relation to producing food. It doesn't magically sprout from a polystyrene box in the storage room of Tesco's.

How much more choice do you want? What would you be eating that you can't eat now?

Well whatever floats your boat.. We're all going to die one day, so whether it was picked in Italy or 10 minutes up the road it won't add years to my life. If you belived it did then your probly believe anything. And as for the Pakistan person .. They will be well catered for in the major supermarkets.. There's not much you can't buy in them nowadays

Nik Nak's are effectively twisties. Can't help with the cherry ripe though.

I couldn't buy a Cherry Ripe or a bag of Twisties in the UK supermarkets I ventured into. Guess I'll have to write the whole place off as backward and substandard :wink:

As Paul1977 said earlier "whatever floats your boat".

Personally you couldn't get me into the Australian shop in Covent Garden just as I have no interest in the various British shops in Australia.

I didn't move to Australia simply to recreate my exact life style in the UK--and when in the UK have no desire to imitate an Australian lifestyle. I acknowledge that, for some people, the familiar is very important--but I can't for the life of me see why they bother moving if that's what they want. I don't want a world that descends into a boring sameness. Even in the UK, I wouldn't bother with Spanish strawberries in February or South American asparagus year round. I preferred to wait for the right seasons for English strawberries and asparagus--they just tasted so much better.

(And I prefer Twisties to Niknaks but think British Cheddar is better than Aussie "Tasty". It all balances out if you give it a chance.)

As Paul1977 said earlier "whatever floats your boat".

Personally you couldn't get me into the Australian shop in Covent Garden just as I have no interest in the various British shops in Australia.

I didn't move to Australia simply to recreate my exact life style in the UK--and when in the UK have no desire to imitate an Australian lifestyle. I acknowledge that, for some people, the familiar is very important--but I can't for the life of me see why they bother moving if that's what they want. I don't want a world that descends into a boring sameness. Even in the UK, I wouldn't bother with Spanish strawberries in February or South American asparagus year round. I preferred to wait for the right seasons for English strawberries and asparagus--they just tasted so much better.

(And I prefer Twisties to Niknaks but think British Cheddar is better than Aussie "Tasty". It all balances out if you give it a chance.)

Agree on the cheese, Australian cheese is so dry

Oh yes they are: they start to lose nutrients (particularly Vitamin C) as soon as they are picked. Something picked yesterday is going to be more nutritious than something picked 5 days ago. And you don't know what herbicides, fungicides, weedicides are being used in overseas countries which aren't permitted in your own: nor are you subjected to extra spraying as food enters the country through quarantine.

More nonsense about how all Australian fruit and veg is somehow fresh and in season when most of it is chilled and shipped long distances as well.

One of the reasons it has such a short shelf life

More nonsense about how all Australian fruit and veg is somehow fresh and in season when most of it is chilled and shipped long distances as well.

One of the reasons it has such a short shelf life

i

don't really think you know what you are talking about. Was the comment not related to locally produced fruit and veg? The comment would be relevant in any country in the world. Stop being so defensive.

i

don't really think you know what you are talking about. Was the comment not related to locally produced fruit and veg? The comment would be relevant in any country in the world. Stop being so defensive.

I think I probably know a lot about what I am talking about

Is is like all the nonsense we hear about Australia's 'fresh' seafood when over 70% of it is imported......all smoke and mirrors and presentation

I think I probably know a lot about what I am talking about

Is is like all the nonsense we hear about Australia's 'fresh' seafood when over 70% of it is imported......all smoke and mirrors and presentation

And the bread.. Most of its 6 months old from Europe..

Archived