Back home after 2 months

Metoo

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Tayloal in this day and age there's no excuse for not doing research.I've said this before but when my parents migrated way back in 1970 all they had to go on was a 2 page brochure!!!!No tv shows,no internet!Surely you would'nt watch Wanted Down Under and thats all you'd base your move on?????The mind boggles!

I was born and bred in Aus and came over to the UK when I was 22 and I've still researched my move back home to death.

2 months is clearly a waste of their time and are proberbly trying to recoup a few quid by selling their story. But I will say is that it's hard giving up all your home comforts and trying to retrain your taste buds to Australian products, it's easy to sit behind a keyboard with a drink in your hand saying ' will just adapt to what ever Australia has '. It's very hard to make the move and it's compounded when your little comforts have gone too.

OMG the prices in Perth are cheaper than where I live!!, Here a loaf of bread is £1.90

The only edible bread i have found in perth is from our local baker. Supermarket bread is awful.. I pay 5 bucks a loaf. I wouldn't feed the roos with supermarket bread

Weve Just got back from doing our own wanted down under in adelaide complete with job hunt & house search. This way you try before you buy so to speak! We managed to survive the fortnight without Robinson juice withdrawal symptoms!!!! Darling savannah mustn't have tried the cadburys chocolate coz that does taste rather odd!!!

2 months is clearly a waste of their time and are proberbly trying to recoup a few quid by selling their story. But I will say is that it's hard giving up all your home comforts and trying to retrain your taste buds to Australian products, it's easy to sit behind a keyboard with a drink in your hand saying ' will just adapt to what ever Australia has '. It's very hard to make the move and it's compounded when your little comforts have gone too.

This is probably true. I'm wondering if I should start a thread with a list of all the stuff I really like in the UK and see what's available in Tasmania. What if I can't get my nice quilted scented loo roll? That could cause a real problem! Or, even worse, what if I can't get the right sort of milk for my tea??? :cry:

You can buy uk products in supermarkets , they tend to have a small section but very expensive. I pay $3.50 for a single bag of monster munch.. But boy do I enjoy them... I even lick the inside of the bag after to make sure I get my money's worth

I have to be honest, I don't really buy "branded" products. I will just buy the supermarket own make of whatever I am looking for, except for PG Tips, Nescafe and Senseo coffee pods (for my coffee maker). My taste buds are probably dead, because to me, apart from the aforementioned tea and coffee, ASDA cornflakes, ALDI cornflakes and Kelloggs Cornflakes all taste the same, like cornflakes. Same with other things, to me there is no discernible difference between a smartprice strawberry jam tart and a premium priced one so all this about the kid only drinking Robinsons, well, cordial is cordial and a more forward thinking mother would've packed an empty Robinsons bottle in her bag and then just decanted the Bush Telegraph cordial into it, before Savannah noticed the bottles were different. Problem solved and £10000 saved :biggrin:

But that's all part of the adventure of moving somewhere new, trying new things, seeing new things etc. If you want Britain then stay in Britain, don't move to Australia or elsewhere....simples.

Guest Guest 47403
I have to be honest, I don't really buy "branded" products. I will just buy the supermarket own make of whatever I am looking for, except for PG Tips, Nescafe and Senseo coffee pods (for my coffee maker). My taste buds are probably dead, because to me, apart from the aforementioned tea and coffee, ASDA cornflakes, ALDI cornflakes and Kelloggs Cornflakes all taste the same, like cornflakes. Same with other things, to me there is no discernible difference between a smartprice strawberry jam tart and a premium priced one so all this about the kid only drinking Robinsons, well, cordial is cordial and a more forward thinking mother would've packed an empty Robinsons bottle in her bag and then just decanted the Bush Telegraph cordial into it, before Savannah noticed the bottles were different. Problem solved and £10000 saved :biggrin:

Anyone that names a child Savannah is doomed to fail!

Guest Guest 47403
I can only think that they were doing a "Beckham" and wanted their nearest and dearest to think they had honeymooned in Africa.........

Each to there own I suppose.......bit out of order of me to say that I blame the crabbies but they don't seem the sharpest tools in the box!

Which part of Tas you moving to?

Each to there own I suppose.......bit out of order of me to say that I blame the crabbies but they don't seem the sharpest tools in the box!

Which part of Tas you moving to?

I know what you mean Baz! I had to slap my hand away because I wanted to answer to a previous poster that it was fairly obvious who had been the Cadbury chocolates in that house :embarrassed:.

I am looking around Dovers Ferry at the moment or alternatively perhaps Kingston, but for now, Dovers Ferry is winning :biggrin:

empty Robinsons bottle in her bag and then just decanted the Bush Telegraph cordial into it, before Savannah noticed the bottles were different. Problem solved and £10000 saved :biggrin:

I do that now with the bottle of Heinz tomato sauce, the wife and kids don't realise the same bottle gets down to 1/4 full before amazingly ending up full again after they have an early night.

There is a 4litre Aldi tomato sauce under the laundry sink behind my whisky bottles where she never goes.

And yes, I do the grocery shopping.

It's down to taste. I never bought Robinson's back in the UK and find Aus cordials far more refreshing.

In any case, I'm sorry but if you come to Australia (10,000) miles from the UK then complain because the brands on supermarket shelves are different you probably shouldn't have bothered moving. The whole point of changing country is the adventure of trying something new.

It's down to taste. I never bought Robinson's back in the UK and find Aus cordials far more refreshing.

In any case, I'm sorry but if you come to Australia (10,000) miles from the UK then complain because the brands on supermarket shelves are different you probably shouldn't have bothered moving. The whole point of changing country is the adventure of trying something new.

But if you look at it from the angle as both countries diets are much a like, it's not like you've moved to Vietnam , Cambodia etc where the food is completely different. We're spoilt for choice in the UK in regards to supermarkets, coming here is like going into tesco and half the shelves being empty, so saying its something new isn't quite correct. More a sence of disappoint in many cases.

Let's turn this around though.

If you went to Tesco and found an American in there complaining loudly because he couldn't get the kind of spray can cheese he eats all the time in Iowa would you sympathise or think he's just being fussy and stupid? Different countries have different brands of things and slight differences in flavours and so on.

Frankly, if somebody is so parochial and wedded to what they were used to in the UK, they probably shouldn't even consider moving. They certainly shouldn't expect Australia to change to match their British tastes--if you want to convert Australia into the UK, why bother moving?

As for Tesco being spoilt for choice, yeah...except it was double of the choice of processed junk foods I'd never buy anyway. Between Woolworths and our local fruit and veg shop which has excellent produce dirt cheap, I eat better here than in the UK. For example, the green beans and cherry tomatoes I bought this morning are both from farms just down the road instead of Kenya and Spain respectively like they would be at Tesco.

Let's turn this around though.

If you went to Tesco and found an American in there complaining loudly because he couldn't get the kind of spray can cheese he eats all the time in Iowa would you sympathise or think he's just being fussy and stupid? Different countries have different brands of things and slight differences in flavours and so on.

Frankly, if somebody is so parochial and wedded to what they were used to in the UK, they probably shouldn't even consider moving. They certainly shouldn't expect Australia to change to match their British tastes--if you want to convert Australia into the UK, why bother moving?

As for Tesco being spoilt for choice, yeah...except it was double of the choice of processed junk foods I'd never buy anyway. Between Woolworths and our local fruit and veg shop which has excellent produce dirt cheap, I eat better here than in the UK. For example, the green beans and cherry tomatoes I bought this morning are both from farms just down the road instead of Kenya and Spain respectively like they would be at Tesco.

But as an adult you chose what you put into your mouth, you chose that diet in the UK. And as for your beans and tomatoes there no more healthy because there grown local.

Guest TheSally
Ssshhhhhh!They might be reading this!They would of returned to the UK for nothing!lol Do aussies watch "Escape to the Country"and figure all brits live in gorgeous 4 bed houses with 2 acres?????

You mean they don't? :sad:

Ssshhhhhh!They might be reading this!They would of returned to the UK for nothing!lol Do aussies watch "Escape to the Country"and figure all brits live in gorgeous 4 bed houses with 2 acres?????

Yes, I have had Aussies telling me how beautiful the uk is in escape to the country, and why would I want to live here etc.

I have hear so many things like that, mostly about weather (just the same as Brits thinking its hot in oz all the time). Funniest is probably the person telling me they couldn't live in England. Why I ask.... 'Because I'm not a breakfast person, and I just couldn't deal with an English breakfast every day'. :-/

Archived