Has PIO turned you off Perth?

Harpodom

Hills is a shithole in the making for me now, too popular with everyone but the locals, ergo influx of loud/pissed people (notice i said people not poms).

Perth is a growing place, we tend to stay away from the big city as it is not why we came here, we have all we need here if not a lot slower than the UK, but again we prefer that now, hated it when we first landed here - but it is way better overall.

​You find the 'football top' wearing brigade anywhere it is warm and popular nowadays, to single out Perth is a little low really, especially if they never lived there.

You mean the Breakwater which is full of posers because its the "in" place , where they charge 11 bucks for a pint and more more pseudo yuppie poser types , the old place was better reasonably priced food Perth wise and 8 bucks a pint now the new place is poser palace

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no desire to visit Perth.I'm not into cities or beaches,its just a place I have never fancied going to.To be surrounded by boozing poms would be our idea of a nightmare.We had one holiday when I first moved to the UK,in Costa Brava.At the time I said never again,and we never have!lol For me if alot of people are flocking to a place,its a huge turnoff.Im a shepherd not a sheep!

No it didn't put me off thankfully.

you don't have to on this site before you realise that most of the Perth haters are crackpots ie PP or people who have no imagination and who because the suburb they choose to live has nothing going on, wont venture to somewhere that has.

Def agree with the post about Hilary's though. Truely awful place, full of football top wearing poms who act like they are on a stag/hen doo in Benidorm.

Not seen that in Hillary's tbh. More of a family place if you don't go to the pubs and clubs. Lots of coffee and cake places, restaurants, fish and chips. Everything really from kebabs to expensive food.

Try getting in the breakwater with a football shirt on, even if you did you would look like a real pratt. Mindarie might have a bit of that going on in the boat, the Indian Ocean Brewery though, just round the corner is more upmarket and a nice atmosphere.

Hills is a shithole in the making for me now, too popular with everyone but the locals, ergo influx of loud/pissed people (notice i said people not poms).

Perth is a growing place, we tend to stay away from the big city as it is not why we came here, we have all we need here if not a lot slower than the UK, but again we prefer that now, hated it when we first landed here - but it is way better overall.

​You find the 'football top' wearing brigade anywhere it is warm and popular nowadays, to single out Perth is a little low really, especially if they never lived there.

Although Perth does have the biggest concentrations of English in certain areas. Doesn't bother me the football shirts in the slightest.Just another ethnic curiosity if you like.

PIO did not put us off. We seem to be the only English family in our area. There are lots of South Africans and a few Irish around, but mostly Australians. However, all the hospital staff are Welsh. Don't go into a Perth hospital if the English have beaten the Welsh at rugby. You'll be happier dying at home.

I think it's a bit sad if one website can put you off some where. Obviously i've not lived there just been there for a holiday but I didn't notice it was pom central... saw a lot of asian people actually. Perth is a lovely place.

Asian folk are increasingly visible in number in the city area. As of yet there are no Asian suburbs that come close to British born in some northern locations.

PIO did not put us off. We seem to be the only English family in our area. There are lots of South Africans and a few Irish around, but mostly Australians. However, all the hospital staff are Welsh. Don't go into a Perth hospital if the English have beaten the Welsh at rugby. You'll be happier dying at home.

I keep a Springbock cap handy. My locality used to be the South African HQ at the Leederville Hotel prior to renovation. Great place when the odd community meetup took place for a Castle Beer and a bri...

I'm afraid to say it has me.

I get the impression its absolutely heaving with poms (mainly northerners), kind of like a Costa Del Pom (I'll leave you draw your own images from that description).

Is this reputation fair?

Not fair!

I don't get it - why is it that Poms find the need to all accumulate in one area and live in a 'little Britain' here in Perth? I just don't understand why you'd move all the way to the other side of the world to want to live with all of your own again and moan that the sausages 'just aren't the same, or you miss Tesco's etc.' All poms seem to navigate straight to Joondalup and those areas or Baldivis, port Kennedy, secret harbour etc. I've been living in Morley and don't come across any poms. I absolutely love it here.

Not fair!

I don't get it - why is it that Poms find the need to all accumulate in one area and live in a 'little Britain' here in Perth? I just don't understand why you'd move all the way to the other side of the world to want to live with all of your own again and moan that the sausages 'just aren't the same, or you miss Tesco's etc.' All poms seem to navigate straight to Joondalup and those areas or Baldivis, port Kennedy, secret harbour etc. I've been living in Morley and don't come across any poms. I absolutely love it here.

I think the price and newness along with being not far from the beach. The banks are well versed on the British/South African housing market. Note the flags outside the premises of a particular institution. A number have friends or relatives and certain suburb names seem to resonate. Sites like this along with the amount of buildings....

Not keen on many of the suburbs myself and would prefer a far more diverse place to park.....

Guest Guest26012

Dont Particularly like Hillarys. Freo is ok ish, IMO only during the day. I certainly wouldn't be put off anywhere by opinions on a website. I like to make my own mind up and see for myself. I work in a hospital and I'm not welch? Lol!

well i think perth was easily the best place in oz the ausies there are laid back relaxed almost like jamacians or dutch the english or pons there were great so happy to be away from this shithole that is england (that breaks my heart to say as i love the mother land but its true its gone to **** here hence im off)

however nsw was full of asians more chinese than ausies so i know what i would prefer... make of that what you will

I don't quite get why we're so anti pom. Even the haters, you moved back to live among poms so what so bad about living among them in Australia? Smacks of inverse xenophobia to me. Theres a lot of judgemental people on here, even judging their own kind! Whats that all about? I

' I couldnt possibly live in a pommy area' You snobby lot.

The area I live in btw is mostly Aussie and Italian but thats not why we chose to buy here, it was the house prices and convenient location. The Perth I live in bears absolutely no relation to the one I see portrayed on here. Clearly it's not perfection all over but I doubt any state is?

I have a vision of Brisbane as being a brash tourist hot spot but I bet thats just what the locals hate to hear, same with Melbourne, freezing England copy, sure its nothing of the sort in reality!

Yeah, it has a bit for similar reasons. I don't have an opinion on what Perth is like as I've never been there, but I don't really have any interest in going there and I think what little interest I did have has diminished from being on this board. Not right or justifiable, but there you go

I've spent a little while in Perth on a holiday i took in WA a couple of years ago and i thought it was a decent place, though to be fair we didnt stay long in the city but travelled a bit. I'd go back to WA for another holiday, the sheer amount of space and the size of the state and the landscapes i find fascinating.

Could i live in Perth. Dunno. When i first visited i thought i could, and was probably thinking of "weather" as being a factor. Now i realise it's pretty irrelevant what the weather's doing as you're at work most of the time anyway and not lazing around.

I 'm more of a mind that i'd actually prefer not to live in Perth at all if i was going to live in WA, but perhaps have a complete lifestyle change and live somewhere like Margaret River , and run an olive farm, or something!

But reading this board has definitely put me off even considering moving to Perth in the near future. I'm sticking with Melbourne. Although i think living sucessfully in Perth and WA in general is a state of mind thing . You need to be comfortable with the isolation and the limitations, and actually embrace them, to make a go of it. Clearly though if odds are stacked against you (too expensive, no work) it will be hard to get on, wherever you live.

Edited by jimmyay1

I can never make my mind up about Freo though. Part of me likes the slightly bohemian side, but then the place can be damned ugly. It is essentially a dock town and at times reminds me of Middlesbrough with sunshine

that's exactly what i thought when i went there. I wondered since if i'd missed something hip or had taken a wrong turn.

Dont Particularly like Hillarys. Freo is ok ish, IMO only during the day. I certainly wouldn't be put off anywhere by opinions on a website. I like to make my own mind up and see for myself. I work in a hospital and I'm not welch? Lol!

I work in a hospital and I'm not welsh either!! I live East and hardly any poms around us. Mainly Aussies on our road. Not a big fan of Joondalup at all. Freo I agree with you MC, better during the day. Did a photography course there a couple of years ago and there are some great buildings to get "arty" with. I would take everything that was written about a place on a website with a pinch of salt and make up my own opinion. Interesting to hear people's thoughts tho.

well i think perth was easily the best place in oz the ausies there are laid back relaxed almost like jamacians or dutch the english or pons there were great so happy to be away from this shithole that is england (that breaks my heart to say as i love the mother land but its true its gone to **** here hence im off)

however nsw was full of asians more chinese than ausies so i know what i would prefer... make of that what you will

Perth may be some things but hardly the Jamacian level of laid backness......thankfully Perth is becoming more diverse though as well and not entirely populated by proletarian Brits.