back home - 4 months in

tfarrell

Just a quick update..

We left for Oz in Aug with 3 young children... a week after arriving I realised I had made a massive mistake. Only lasted 6 months.

So back home since mid January and I know I made the right decision to come home. I see where I live in a whole new light and look at it as a lesson learned - a very bloody expensive lesson at that!

My husband who is a chippie had got a job as a site manager which is what he was doing before he left. We have been lucky in that regard. Altho work wise things are starting to get better here for sure. Long way to go yet but things are deffo picking up.

We are back living with my Mam as we sold up hook line and sinker. So next step is to buy a house. Havent seen anything we like just yet and of course we come one of the most expensive places in Dublin to live. But Im positive that it will all happen in time.

Kids are loving life since we got home. My eldest who is 7 is back in her old school and couldnt be happier. She loves it there. My little boy who is 4 is in playschool and will start in the same big school as his sis in September. They are in so much after school activities I dont get a minute. With them and playdates we are kept very busy! I love seeing kids playing out together.. something I couldnt quite grasp in Oz.

I see everything in a whole new light and I love Dublin. The people the place. You just cannot beat it. I am making the most of everything now since I get back. We find things to do every weekend. Hail rain or snow! I appreciate my life and the people that are in it and I wouldnt change it for the world. I love that Im going out with my friends twice a month good Irish pubs and that my kids have their grannys and grandad around them along with Aunites and Uncles and some of my old friends that are my family. I love that I get to see their kids grow up too. My Mam is so happy to have us home and I know I can be there for her whenever she needs me. Same goes for my nephew who I missed alot. People thought I was crazy to come back home but I think you just know when something isnt for you and no amount of time will change that.

I got sucked into the dream of Oz and how fantastic it would be with the beaches and sunshine etc. But it wasnt for me. Not at all and I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy to be home. Life is good. I can understand why some people love Oz dont get me wrong but its a completely different culture and way of life and in my opinion I like our way of life here in Ireland and Im glad my kids will grow up here. No question about it.

Fingers crossed we come across a house soon!

Will try update this as we go. If anyone has any questions I will try answer as honest as I can!

Guest chris955

Glad it is all working out for you, there are many many others who have cone to the same conclusion. It is very easy to be seduced by the picture postcard tourist board view of Australia. The good thing is it does make you appreciate where you came from and remember it is only money.

Glad it is all working out for you, there are many many others who have cone to the same conclusion. It is very easy to be seduced by the picture postcard tourist board view of Australia. The good thing is it does make you appreciate where you came from and remember it is only money.

Ha ha, the amount of times since deciding to move to Oz that I have had to keep repeating to myself 'it's only money' over and over and over and.... ;-)

Guest chris955
Ha ha, the amount of times since deciding to move to Oz that I have had to keep repeating to myself 'it's only money' over and over and over and.... ;-)

​I am a firm believer in that mantra to be honest, we are a long time dead so no point in trying to take it with you LOL

Guest Guest 47403
Just a quick update..

We left for Oz in Aug with 3 young children... a week after arriving I realised I had made a massive mistake. Only lasted 6 months.

So back home since mid January and I know I made the right decision to come home. I see where I live in a whole new light and look at it as a lesson learned - a very bloody expensive lesson at that!

My husband who is a chippie had got a job as a site manager which is what he was doing before he left. We have been lucky in that regard. Altho work wise things are starting to get better here for sure. Long way to go yet but things are deffo picking up.

We are back living with my Mam as we sold up hook line and sinker. So next step is to buy a house. Havent seen anything we like just yet and of course we come one of the most expensive places in Dublin to live. But Im positive that it will all happen in time.

Kids are loving life since we got home. My eldest who is 7 is back in her old school and couldnt be happier. She loves it there. My little boy who is 4 is in playschool and will start in the same big school as his sis in September. They are in so much after school activities I dont get a minute. With them and playdates we are kept very busy! I love seeing kids playing out together.. something I couldnt quite grasp in Oz.

I see everything in a whole new light and I love Dublin. The people the place. You just cannot beat it. I am making the most of everything now since I get back. We find things to do every weekend. Hail rain or snow! I appreciate my life and the people that are in it and I wouldnt change it for the world. I love that Im going out with my friends twice a month good Irish pubs and that my kids have their grannys and grandad around them along with Aunites and Uncles and some of my old friends that are my family. I love that I get to see their kids grow up too. My Mam is so happy to have us home and I know I can be there for her whenever she needs me. Same goes for my nephew who I missed alot. People thought I was crazy to come back home but I think you just know when something isnt for you and no amount of time will change that.

I got sucked into the dream of Oz and how fantastic it would be with the beaches and sunshine etc. But it wasnt for me. Not at all and I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy to be home. Life is good. I can understand why some people love Oz dont get me wrong but its a completely different culture and way of life and in my opinion I like our way of life here in Ireland and Im glad my kids will grow up here. No question about it.

Fingers crossed we come across a house soon!

Will try update this as we go. If anyone has any questions I will try answer as honest as I can!

30% of folk that emigrate can't make it work out, enjoy being back!

Guest Guest 47403
Ohhh dear....:cute:....think you will find t is 60% plus...

that return LOL :laugh::laugh: your a good un PB!

I dont think we will ever know the true figure of how many return

Lots of people will keep thier options open, when they leave Aus, and put on the Boarding card, that they are only going on holiday.

Immigration will never release true figures,stats can be worthless.

From our experience, there were several families we knew,that came out the same time as us, varying circumstances, some familes, some couples,lots of variations on where they went and what jobs they came out to do, and they have all now returned .One family went to NZ and the rest to Aus.

Great to hear that you are back where you belong and really enjoying it. As for the somewhat insensitive "can't make it work" crack - why the hell should you batter your head trying to make something fit if it doesn't match your values and lifestyle. Well done on seeing through the big con I say! Sometimes you have to leave to realise what a gem you already have.

Amazed that you knew after a week that you couldnt make it work. I know you were terribly homesick but your reaction after a week - fine - but i don't think you can say you gave it a real go. You just made a snap judgement, (which you're happy with). Sorry if that sounds harsh. Glad you've realised where your happiest though , it wasn't a wasted experience.

30% of folk that emigrate can't make it work out, enjoy being back!

Baz .i hope you dont mind a free bit of advice , but in relation to people returning i would keep my opinions to myself .

My uncle who is irish , left the U.K ,to go to oz ,vowing never to return ......it was in the 80s " thats it iam off the UK is finished " .....how daft did he feel when he returned 12 months later with his ozzie dream in tatters .......and his tail between his legs....he just didnt like australia or australians .

Going for a holiday or a reccie is one thing ......living there is another .......so until you have lived it , dont set yourself up for a potential fall

I have huge admiration for people who make it work , it can be a great life ......we did for 6 years

i was reading a post from Bensdad the other day , and i thought good on ya

Guest chris955

That is very good advice indeed, not specifically to anyone in particular but just generally. It is impossible to know what a country is truly like until you live there.

Baz .i hope you dont mind a free bit of advice , but in relation to people returning i would keep my opinions to myself .

My uncle who is irish , left the U.K ,to go to oz ,vowing never to return ......it was in the 80s " thats it iam off the UK is finished " .....how daft did he feel when he returned 12 months later with his ozzie dream in tatters .......and his tail between his legs....he just didnt like australia or australians .

Going for a holiday or a reccie is one thing ......living there is another .......so until you have lived it , dont set yourself up for a potential fall

I have huge admiration for people who make it work , it can be a great life ......we did for 6 years

i was reading a post from Bensdad the other day , and i thought good on ya

Guest chris955

No more personal comments, can I stress this is the MBTTUK section and people posting here have often been through a tough stressful time in their lives and really dont need petty bickering adding to the stress.

Archived