uk housing revival

KIRK AND CO

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chris955

I was chatting to an Estate Agent the other week and they said they had the busiest February for about 5 years and that was sales not just viewings.

Guest chris955
To paraphrase Mandy Rice-Davies - he would say that, wouldn't he?

Well no not really, she wasnt in a real estate environment and wasnt trying to sell our house. It was just chit chat.

So house prices are going to go up? doesnt that mean that its going to be even harder for people to get on the property ladder when they are finding it harder to secure a mortgage in the first place. Obviously its going to be good for people who wont have problems finding a buyer

Guest chris955
I think we're going to be paying somebody elses mortgage till the time im 30!

Dont worry, we didnt get our first mortgage until a couple of months after my 40th ;)

Dont worry, we didnt get our first mortgage until a couple of months after my 40th ;)

Really? Thats a depressing thought. I dont want to wait that long. Our landlord is lovely and a friend of ours but i just dont want to pay peoples mortgages for the rest of my life. Saying that, i dont feel ready for a mortgage right now untill I have a fulltime steady job so shouldnt be complaining!

Guest chris955

Why depressing ? We were too busy travelling and having fun to worry about a mortgage before then anyway.

Really? Thats a depressing thought. I dont want to wait that long. Our landlord is lovely and a friend of ours but i just dont want to pay peoples mortgages for the rest of my life. Saying that, i dont feel ready for a mortgage right now untill I have a fulltime steady job so shouldnt be complaining!

Simple laws of economics cannot allow the prices to rise back to 2007 levels. For example if banks will only lend 3-4 x annual salary and avg salary is 25K or thereabouts and avg houseprice is £200K that is 8x avg salary!. There are no self cert loans anymore nor 100% loans ( which kinda mucks up first time buyers) and lending is stricter and pay rises have been very limited and pay cuts are more common so can you explain where the money is coming from?

Simple laws of economics cannot allow the prices to rise back to 2007 levels. For example if banks will only lend 3-4 x annual salary and avg salary is 25K or thereabouts and avg houseprice is £200K that is 8x avg salary!. There are no self cert loans anymore nor 100% loans ( which kinda mucks up first time buyers) and lending is stricter and pay rises have been very limited and pay cuts are more common so can you explain where the money is coming from?

Waiting for you the answer as always!

Guest chris955

Houses are still selling so I guess lots of people are still managing to buy them. The days of houses being 2 to 4 times income are long gone.

There are always houses selling no matter how bad the housing market is. When its down investors buy on the cheap. Its all happened before and it will happen again but you still have not answered how everybody can suddenly afford the mortgages they couldn't afford 5 years ago.

Guest chris955

Well they go to a bank or a broker, tell them what they earn and they are offered a mortgage, same principle as anywhere really. How do people in countries with a greater level of unaffordability manage ? When we sold our house the buyers had to borrow from their parents on top of the mortgage, same here maybe.

Archived