Financially Trapped Desperate to go!!

leanne1287

As Verystormy says... Bite the bullet and get on a plane home, the banks and finance companies are big enough to throw loans at you, believe me they're big enough to take a hit now and again, doing this wont turn you into bad people overnight. With stress comes illness, life is too short to be so unhappy over material things. My advice is do one now...... While you still have each other...... Start again somewhere new..... With a smile on your faces ;)

good luck!

This is such a brilliant, well put post.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is such a brilliant, well put post.

Thank you W1

I feel for this couple, my advice is exactly what I would do, banks/finance companies..... State sponsored thieves IMHO.

before this unfortunate situation comes between them (and it will eventually ) they should 'cut and run'. I'm not a dishonest person, far from it, but in my short(ish!!) time here, I've learnt that family/loved ones and HEALTH are the important things that you can't do without......wherever you are!!!!Everything else can be replaced!!

i wish them nothing but the best of luck, I'm new here and such a shame to read such a sad story.

Feel ever so sorry for you. It must be very hard. We are thinking of returning to the UK after 30 odd years (yes, 30 odd years - but for different reasons). I know it is really no consolation, but if you were in Perth you would find things even harder. The cost of living here in Perth is astronomical. Everything is a rip off. WA is based around the mining industry, and, if you are not employed in the mining or oil and gas sector on very high wages then you struggle.

Hi ,sad post, my only suggestion is pay what you can and be very thorough in trying to convey to them you will pay what you can, reason I say this is I knew someone like you, desperate to go home, after being back in the uk for a year they wanted to go back to aus, however they had burnt their bridges and couldn't, whilst at the moment the thought of going back to aus is the furthest from your mind, believe me it's a possibility, best of luck and hope all goes well,

Feel ever so sorry for you. It must be very hard. We are thinking of returning to the UK after 30 odd years (yes, 30 odd years - but for different reasons). I know it is really no consolation, but if you were in Perth you would find things even harder. The cost of living here in Perth is astronomical. Everything is a rip off. WA is based around the mining industry, and, if you are not employed in the mining or oil and gas sector on very high wages then you struggle.

Hi davegoose,

thats a scary post for someone(like me) who's waiting impatiently for a (i'll whisper it!)...457 approval, and heading to Perth!! I've heard it's expensive there, but surely people are managing, otherwise there would be a mass exodus??.... Or have I missed something??

can anyone reasure me that I'll be fine...... Please!!!!

Been here in Brisbane 4 years every day is getting harder to be here, I find most days driving home from work I break down and cry. I feel so desperate and can't see any way out. We have two cars loans and a credit card. Found it so hard to get any kind of credit when we first arrived, we used all our saving keeping us here till we both got jobs. So we turned to the banks no help with a small loan to get us started but would give us a credit card. Used that limit quickly so they were happy to up it but again not happy to give us a small loan so now we owe a fair amount on the card. Got our self two new cars, which we just cant hand back. Were working hard paying extra off the cars and cards moving into a smaller house to pay less rent , this will save us an extra $400 a month, giving ourselfs till Aug 2015. But I'm finding everyday harder and harder, my hubby feels the same. We would love to drop everything and just go but were not that kind of people. But if the banks wont help with a loan we have no choice but to stay and work at paying the debts off.

How many other people are trapped and feel like there is no way ou?

Have you tried talking to the people who financed your car? They normally have a hard ship section (including the credit cards). Ask for a 6 month break (where they stop charging you interest or reduce the interest amount) during this time you put as much as you can towards reducing the balance.

Have you also thought hard about alternatives with the cars? For example trading down? Yes dealers do take trade ins and refund the balance. Do you think you could manage with a single car for say 6 months (again to get you out of the short term dire?).

Have you tried transfering the cards to lower interest?

Hi Bassboy.

You will be fine. it depends what you want out of life, and, your circumstances.

To buy a decent house will cost you about k450 to k500 for a decent four bedroom two bathroom house. No doubt you have done your research and probably know these things. If you decide to rent you will find this very expensive.

The cost of food is quite expensive. I was over on the Gold Coast over Xmas / New year and the price of food was cheaper than here in Perth but, still more expensive than UK.

If you have relations to 'put' you up when you first get here will be an advantage.

Believe me, the resources sector dominates Perth and and it's prices.

Cheers, Dave.

Hi Bassboy.

You will be fine. it depends what you want out of life, and, your circumstances.

To buy a decent house will cost you about k450 to k500 for a decent four bedroom two bathroom house. No doubt you have done your research and probably know these things. If you decide to rent you will find this very expensive.

The cost of food is quite expensive. I was over on the Gold Coast over Xmas / New year and the price of food was cheaper than here in Perth but, still more expensive than UK.

If you have relations to 'put' you up when you first get here will be an advantage.

Cheers, Dave.

Besides the extravagant costs of things, far from all of us are earning the big bucks that some assume.

Besides the extravagant costs of things, far from all of us are earning the big bucks that some assume.

Correct,... I worked in the mining game for may years. So in a way I was quite lucky as I was on relatively good wages. And, this is what it is all about. The cost of living in Perth is based on the mining/energy salaries. For those not involved/working in the resources sector they pay the price.... You can't live in Knightsbridge on a tradesman's wages, if you understand what I mean... Such a shame, Perth once had a very good reputation for being very affordable with good cheap houses (that is how it was when we first came over here in 1980) and everything was great. If I was coming now, I would certainly think twice, or consider a different State...

Hi Bassboy.

Cheers, Dave.

cheers for the reply Dave

yes, I've looked into it a fair bit, I'm starting on a salary of $104,000 plus performance related bonuses, my wife will be looking for a part time job too, we don't want an extravagant lifestyle, just to be happy, and more importantly to make sure the kids are happy.

Lot of debate about the 457 lately!! My role as regard to the 457 is to teach young australian apprentices, we're going the 457 route for 2 reasons..... First is my new/potential boss wants me there ASAP, and secondly, I might not like it there, didn't want to spend thousands of £££ without getting a taste of it first.

The boss is keen to sponsor me for PR after 2 years, ( it will take 4-5 yrs to fully train an apprentice) so the system is not being abused in any way. I'm looking forward to the challenge and adventure for sure, my wife and children's happiness is going to be the main reason for us either going for PR or returning home. I must admit that I'm looking forward to leaving all this snow behind!!!

Cheers, bassboy :)

cheers for the reply Dave

yes, I've looked into it a fair bit, I'm starting on a salary of $104,000 plus performance related bonuses, my wife will be looking for a part time job too, we don't want an extravagant lifestyle, just to be happy, and more importantly to make sure the kids are happy.

Lot of debate about the 457 lately!! My role as regard to the 457 is to teach young australian apprentices, we're going the 457 route for 2 reasons..... First is my new/potential boss wants me there ASAP, and secondly, I might not like it there, didn't want to spend thousands of £££ without getting a taste of it first.

The boss is keen to sponsor me for PR after 2 years, ( it will take 4-5 yrs to fully train an apprentice) so the system is not being abused in any way. I'm looking forward to the challenge and adventure for sure, my wife and children's happiness is going to be the main reason for us either going for PR or returning home. I must admit that I'm looking forward to leaving all this snow behind!!!

Cheers, bassboy :)

That's a decent salary bassboy. If your missus gets a part time job you should be fine.

That's a decent salary bassboy. If your missus gets a part time job you should be fine.

Thanks Paul

I know it's very expensive there, and there must be a lot of family's that really do find it hard, damn shame that everything good is exploited in some way eventually.

Good to be reassured by folk in the know.... Thanks again

Thanks Paul

I know it's very expensive there, and there must be a lot of family's that really do find it hard, damn shame that everything good is exploited in some way eventually.

Good to be reassured by folk in the know.... Thanks again

TBH mate it's as expensive as you want to make it.

We do heaps here that is absolutely free. Just enjoy going to the beach, have friends with the same interests who enjoy exercising, met most of them through the surf club. We have a triathlon training night, surf club at weekends with ski paddling, board paddling, swimming. Good bunch of us do it together so less chance of shark attack lol. Generally go ski paddling and then a coffee before work, even at this time of year. It's getting a bit dark at 06:00 but we just move the time a little later.

You can still go out for cheap meals if you want, not everywhere is expensive. We go to a Kulcha restaurant in Joondalup often and the starters are about $6, mains $13-15. Plastic chairs and tables but atmosphere, service and food is great. Even do beers and wines cheaper than the pub. Don't know how they do it for the price.

There are food halls all over the place where you can get a mixture of things for reasonable prices. Say you fancied a roast but your wife wanted a veggie meal and your kids wanted Maccas. You can get it all in one place but sit at the same table.

Public transport is good and cheap, if you are near a bus route or train station, North or South. You can buy tickets on the bus that cover you for train and ferry too. Buy in advance easy rider tickets and save more.

Parking is free at most places outside the City.

I don't work in mining, never have and not on a fantastic salary, my wife is a nurse and works part time. We have always got by fine. Another bonus is we don't hanker after getting away on holiday. All that we used to go away for is on our doorstep.:cool:

Your job sounds interesting by the way.

Edited by Paul1Perth

We do heaps here that is absolutely free. Just enjoy going to the beach, have friends with the same interests who enjoy exercising, met most of them through the surf club. We have a triathlon training night, surf club at weekends with ski paddling, board paddling, swimming. Good bunch of us do it together so less chance of shark attack lol. Generally go ski paddling and then a coffee before work, even at this time of year. It's getting a bit dark at 06:00 but we just move the time a little later.

You can still go out for cheap meals if you want, not everywhere is expensive. We go to a Kulcha restaurant in Joondalup often and the starters are about $6, mains $13-15. Plastic chairs and tables but atmosphere, service and food is great. Even do beers and wines cheaper than the pub. Don't know how they do it for the price.

There are food halls all over the place where you can get a mixture of things for reasonable prices. Say you fancied a roast but your wife wanted a veggie meal and your kids wanted Maccas. You can get it all in one place but sit at the same table.

Public transport is good and cheap, if you are near a bus route or train station, North or South. You can buy tickets on the bus that cover you for train and ferry too. Buy in advance easy rider tickets and save more.

I don't work in mining, never have and not on a fantastic salary, my wife is a nurse and works part time. We have always got by fine. Another bonus is we don't hanker after getting away on holiday. All that we used to go away for is on our doorstep.:cool:

paul I must say that public transport in perth is terrible , very hard and would take ages to get somewhere between lines. Not great standing around a bus stop in 100+ tempretures.

thanks for all the info Paul, seems like a nice relaxed sort of life, without paying the earth for it!!

like i said, i have no interest in a lavish lifestyle, just the simple and important things, a decent upbringing for my kids in a nice, relaxed place. most people i've spoken to speak very highly of Perth, if its for me and my family, only time will tell(subject to visa)

my job is interesting indeed!!

but i won't disclose my occupation on here, i've spoken in great length with my 'boss', plans to expand further afield....across Australia, i know i'm to play an important part of this, in getting enough staff trained up, some things are best kept under the lid.......wouldn't want every tom dick and harry in my line of work from the uk (granted there isn't many!) heading over to Oz!!!! i'm sure you know what i mean......i'm a very loyal man in that respect.

i just wish they'd hurry up with the visa!!!!!

thanks for all your help in your post, really appreciate it, good to know there's people enjoying life out there without having to re-mortgage their home to go for a meal!!

cheers

Bassboy

paul I must say that public transport in perth is terrible , very hard and would take ages to get somewhere between lines. Not great standing around a bus stop in 100+ tempretures.

All depends where you live. We are lucky and have a bus stop 2 mins from our house. A quick check of the time table tells you when the bus is coming so if you really can't stand the heat time your trip to the bus stop.

How many times has it been 100+ ,about 38C, this year (Fahrenheit, that's a novelty) not that many. Mean maximum temperature for the hottest month (Feb) was 31.4. I could easily stand at a bus stop at that.

I went to see Neil Young with a mate a few weeks ago. Went down on the bus and train free as its part of the ticket price. Went for a couple of beers after the concert and a burger in Fast Eddies, jumped on the train at about 11:30, bus waiting at the train station at the other end, 30 km or so from Perth and home by 12:00. Great if you live near a bus route.

I'm sure it would be a different story if I lived in somewhere like Ellenbrook or the Vines. That's one of the reasons we don't.

So it's not the transport in Perth that's terrible, just some parts of Perth. It's the same in the UK or anywhere. My SIL and BIL live in Tolpuddle, which they love, but there is no public transport there. Wouldn't say that the whole of Dorset is like that though.

All depends where you live. We are lucky and have a bus stop 2 mins from our house. A quick check of the time table tells you when the bus is coming so if you really can't stand the heat time your trip to the bus stop.

How many times has it been 100+ ,about 38C, this year (Fahrenheit, that's a novelty) not that many. Mean maximum temperature for the hottest month (Feb) was 31.4. I could easily stand at a bus stop at that.

I went to see Neil Young with a mate a few weeks ago. Went down on the bus and train free as its part of the ticket price. Went for a couple of beers after the concert and a burger in Fast Eddies, jumped on the train at about 11:30, bus waiting at the train station at the other end, 30 km or so from Perth and home by 12:00. Great if you live near a bus route.

I'm sure it would be a different story if I lived in somewhere like Ellenbrook or the Vines. That's one of the reasons we don't.

So it's not the transport in Perth that's terrible, just some parts of Perth. It's the same in the UK or anywhere. My SIL and BIL live in Tolpuddle, which they love, but there is no public transport there. Wouldn't say that the whole of Dorset is like that though.

I was saying its a nightmare if your using public transport trying to get in between train lines. The trains only go up,down and east. Your stuffed if you live anywhere between. And trying to get a cab is harder than climbing a mountain.( northern suburbs)

Thanks everyone for the advise given. We've changed our credit card to a low interest rate for 15 months this should save us $1000's in interest. Keeping up with the extra payments. Broke lease on house moving into a smaller unit should save $100 a week. That's extra money is going on extra car payments. Had a clear out put some stuff on eBay made a little money, which is in a pot for when my father inlaw visits in June something for us to look forward to. Been a whole week without breaking down got some happy pills from the herbal some seam to be helping. Settling into a new job which I don't think helped with the depression felt a bit out of my depth. Looking forward to 2015 small steps it will soon be here! Thanks again for listening

Visa approved!!!!!!

im Perth bound in a few weeks!!! ;)

Hi

I know how it feels to take on too much credit and it isnt very nice. Many years ago we cut up our credit cards and had a very difficult couple of years getting out of debt, but it was the best thing we ever did - and actually (dont laugh) I think in the end it makes you stronger!

I sympathise with your need to go home, and your unhappiness. However it sounds to me as though you are doing an excellent job of cutting your expenses. Okay, the cars were a mistake and have become a nightmare but you are sorting it. Please dont take the advice of many people to just get on a plane, leaving your debts behind you. Not for moral reasons (although you sound like the sort of person who would always have those unpaid debts niggling away at your concience) but because, unlikely as it seems at the moment, you might one day find it inconvenient that you did. Leaving a clean slate behind you is always a good idea, you never know when you might be glad of it.

Good luck with your move, and your saving. If you really cant wait to move back here, take steps to pay off your debts from the UK. You'll be glad you did in the end

I do hope you can sort something out and go back to your home and family, as you say time is marching on. I have spent years wishing to go back and spent a lot of money on holidays in the UK i won't be going now as i'm in my 70's, I'm glad your husband feels the same way as mine didn't. Go while you can and good luck