457 visas- Any positive comments?

Emma83

So I know 457 visa's are a 'hot topic' at the moment and I have been reading lots of negative comments about them but having just got ours granted I was hoping there are some people out there that have a more positive view of them.

I am aware of the restrictions of the 457 visa's and the risks associated with these and we were well aware of them before we applied. We know that we can only work for 1 employer, that we are not entitled to any benefits and that if we were to lose or leave our jobs we would only have 28 days from my last day of work to leave.

I have a skilled profession (a mental health nurse) as does my partner (the same) and we would have had enough points for skilled migration (PR) and we are considering the employer sponsored PR route in the future (if we enjoy the life Australia offers and we can settle) but we chose a 457 for the following reasons.

-My partner has only ever been on holiday to Australia once for a couple of weeks and wants to experience living and working there before he decides if it is for him.

-We have also considered living and working in other countries so a 457 gives us a chance to see if Oz really is the place for us before we apply for PR.

-Finance- I'm not going to deny a 457 visa was financially better for us at this time as we did not qualify for a defacto visa and 2x A$450 was a lot more appealing that 2x A$3000 (especially when you may want to move on again in a few years) , plus we were also both offered jobs within the public health system that offered us 457 visas.

-We don't have children/dependants so we don't have to worry about paying school fee's etc.

I guess it would just be nice to hear from a few people that have been in similar situations to us and have had positive experiences. I'm not trying to put on any rose tinted glasses but there has just been so much doom and gloom related to the 457 visa recently (both politically and peoples personal experience posts) it would be nice to hear some alternative perspectives/experiences :)

Emma

Personally I'm not too worried, I know some have had bad experiences on a 457, but I am more than satisfied that we just got granted ours, we leave for Australia in just a few weeks, and have no permanent plans as yet, like yourselves.

I think in a lot of cases people feel disenchanted with their lot under the restrictions of a 457 visa because they are just looking at it as a mode of getting to Australia here and now, in my case I was offered what you might call an international transfer by my current employer, and decided it was too good of an opportunity to miss, many others, it seems, are just desperate to get to Australia at all costs, for us the 457 makes sense, it gets us there quickly and cheaply for my employers and it gives us the chance to try things on for size...

Personally I'm not too worried, I know some have had bad experiences on a 457, but I am more than satisfied that we just got granted ours, we leave for Australia in just a few weeks, and have no permanent plans as yet, like yourselves.

I think in a lot of cases people feel disenchanted with their lot under the restrictions of a 457 visa because they are just looking at it as a mode of getting to Australia here and now, in my case I was offered what you might call an international transfer by my current employer, and decided it was too good of an opportunity to miss, many others, it seems, are just desperate to get to Australia at all costs, for us the 457 makes sense, it gets us there quickly and cheaply for my employers and it gives us the chance to try things on for size...

Good luck with your move Simon. Where about are you going. We are just negotiating our start dates then we are off to Sydney. I wasn't really letting it worry me too much but I just keep hearing so much negativity about it at the moment I'd like to hear some of the flip side views. lol. 'trying it on for size' is the perfect description I think. We do 'think' we will want to stay over there and get PR eventually but we don't 'know' that and can't until we have tried it.

Hope it all works well for you, and you enjoy the experience :)

Hi Emma- I've seen the huge debate that's raging about 457's atm - it's a hot topic but one to keep out of imho- people obviously have biased views according to their personal experience/political viewpoint plus the time to argue about it !

I can tell you from recent experience that my daughter got PR from 457 ( & that from WHV)...she did not go with a plan to stay, it just worked out that way. Also MH, . It was by no means the fastest route to PR, but it gave her time to find out if it was what she really wanted to do- so obviously a route that suited her & doesn't suit everyone. Personally I think for skilled workers it's a good enough system, the problem appears to be that it's been wide open to abuse in some quarters, but frankly that's the story in most developed countries from what I've heard so not worth debating. Do it your way, it can be as good a route as any if you're not sure & don't have family responsibilities. Good luck :biggrin:

Edited by Freesia

There is nothing wrong with the 457 visa and if you understand how it works and what it means there should be no problems.

The trouble only starts when somebody thinks that the 457 visa is something that it is not and then gets very upset when the visa works exactly as it is intended to.

Hi Emma and Simon,

Can you both let me know how long your visas took? My company/agent has just applied for mine and I can't hand my notice in until I get it. Hoping it won't be too long.

Also, let me know how you get on as I'm Sydney bound too!

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl. My employer nominated my visa around the 20/02/13 and we applied for the visa on 24/03/2013 when we got our TRN numbers. Has our medicals on 12/02/13 but mine was referred (no reason given). Luckily I managed to get my case prioritised though as I have a start date for my job and mt medical was finalised on the 18/02/13 and my visa was granted on 20/02/13.

Do you have to have a medical? as that can delay things? Where is Sydney are you headed?

There is nothing wrong with the 457 visa and if you understand how it works and what it means there should be no problems.

The trouble only starts when somebody thinks that the 457 visa is something that it is not and then gets very upset when the visa works exactly as it is intended to.

That, pretty much

The debate exists in public at the moment for political reasons more than anything else. For people looking to work in Aus for a few years with no definite intention to stay, or to transfer internationally with their current employer then that's what the visa exists for and it will remain so.

Bear in mind that the demographic of this site is much more oriented towards people who are trying to, or who have, moved permanently. That tends to colour peoples' views of the visa

Thanks Emma,

My agent said I shouldn't need a chest x-ray as I won't work with patients, but I don't know about a medical yet. I will be working in North Sydney and I'm hoping to live fairly central in the city no more than 40 minutes from work on public transport. I was hoping to start in July but it may be a bit sooner if I get my visa as my circumstances have changed here. I'm getting so excited now!

Hi Emma- I've seen the huge debate that's raging about 457's atm - it's a hot topic but one to keep out of imho- people obviously have biased views according to their personal experience/political viewpoint plus the time to argue about it !

Guilty as charged! On Pat leave at the moment so plenty of time available. And I'm not backing down in the face of someone who's just spraying unsubstantiated smears around on the basis of his prejudice and no facts

Sorry

:biggrin:

haha then no need for apologies ! this is a different discussion though for someone who needed impartial advice & support - I'd be more than happy to join in the other stuff in the right setting- say face to face in the pub, where people aren't spitting bile behind the anonymity of a keyboard...now that I would enjoy :laugh:

Thanks for the replies guys :)

Rupert- I think we have a pretty good understanding of the visa and its implications, I just sometimes feel I must be missing something when so many people are so negative about it as anyone that even considers applying for the visa must know these facts too.

NSP- We 'think' we would like to stay but we don't know and have already said if Oz doesn't suit in a couple of years we will try New Zealand or Canada so certainly no definite plans, and I have seen your comments on the 457 debate but I do tend to find yours posts on the subject to be fair and objective, where a lot of others are doom and gloom or just very anti immigration.

Cheryl- We should be there end of May and I can't wait. We will be Northern Beaches end :)

Freesia- Thanks for keeping it impartial. That's what I was hoping for :)

and Verystormy, congrats. Its good to see some positive cases!

Hi,

Moved to Oz on a 457 in 2011. I saw it as my only route to getting over here. I might have been able to go PR route but it would have been a protracted process and at the time probably would have taken over a year and a lot of money.

There is a risk involved in a 457 when you get to Oz, but it all depends on your own circumstances and the level of risk you're willing to take. It's worked out perfectly for me and hopefully will lead to employer sponsored PR before the year's end.

For me there was more risk staying in the UK and trying to get PR from there than there was going for a 457.

As others have said, it's a temporary work visa and shouldn't be viewed as anything else however, that's not to say it isn't a great way to come and work in Oz. Just do your homework ;)

eddy

Hi Emma,

I don't think you'll have a problem as you know exactly what the visa entails, that it is what it is (and that's a temporary working visa) and that employers are not obligated to assist people to gain their PR. For people like yourself then its usually very positive because you have no further expectations of what the visa actually offers.

Good luck with the move

I wonder if the type of employment you're being sponsored for has relevance here? As with Emma, my husband is being sponsored by a hosp for a nursing post in mental health and this was on the back of a recruitment campaign where the NSWs health reps came over to the UK to interview and had heavily advertised in the nursing journals etc. Surely they genuinely need this skill set from the UK (and elsewhere) if they were pushing such an expensive recruitment campaign - or am I/we being naive? We are very realistic re the implications of the 457 visa although... I have to admit the recruiters were keen to say the hosp would be happy to sponsor a PR in the future so this was an attraction for us.

I can tell you from recent experience that my daughter got PR from 457 ( & that from WHV)...she did not go with a plan to stay, it just worked out that way. Also MH, . It was by no means the fastest route to PR, but it gave her time to find out if it was what she really wanted to do- so obviously a route that suited her & doesn't suit everyone. Personally I think for skilled workers it's a good enough system, the problem appears to be that it's been wide open to abuse in some quarters, but frankly that's the story in most developed countries from what I've heard so not worth debating. Do it your way, it can be as good a route as any if you're not sure & don't have family responsibilities. Good luck :biggrin:

Thats wonderful to hear about your daughter! I was thinking about you recently, was going to PM you about it - but no need, the good news is here! :)

Emma, I have been vocal in many posts about the possible downsides, BUT the many good sides too. Like you we don't have children so didn't need to worry about all the cost implications surrounding that. My husband had never been here before (I'd been four times) but he's very happy. We're now PR, and got that in less than one year, so whilst it can be a long route toward a permanent visa for some, for us it was extremely quick.

They most definitely need this skill set- but this is where it's the employers take full advantage of the 457 system, using it to try out their sponsored workers before implementing the PR option. Doesn't make it right but then again I can quite see why they do it. That's the other reason it takes a while, as obviously with a professional nursing qual it's easily possible to go straight for GSM. A lot of potential migrants are doing a similar thing though & seeing if it suits them first, so it works both ways. Also ,from a purely selfish point of view, I was able to get used to the idea of my daughter leaving far less painfully than if she's gone the GSM route, that would have been a shock to the system! Maybe there's something of that stream of thought in other people's plans too- the families do find it difficult after all.

For those moving to Sydney - come join our FB group - Moving to Sydney 2013 - where you'll meet others making the move (and those already here) to share stories and experience....

Sorry for plug....!!

We're here on 457 visas (and a family) and no complaints so far. It was an easier, quicker and cheaper route for us. Not sure about PR yet....

Came on 457 visa in 2007, sponsored for PR by my employer and now a citizen. I was itching to try life in Oz, and in my 40's it was the last (and probably only) chance I'd get. At the time we had LAHFA and I knew some people who were happy in their jobs who stayed on LAHFA for ages, milking it for all it was worth. If I could have come over on PR, I could have sold my house, bought a property outright here with a stronger pound, and not be renting or skint now - aaah hindsight is 20/20! If you do look at the 457 as a work permit, as others have said then that's fine. I still think it can offer young single people a great opportunity to experience Australia. It is a very different country now from 2007, LAHFA is gone and there is strong anti 457 sentiment, coupled with a decline in employment opportunities for IT workers. So while I took a risk (and I had huge contingency plans that I'm falling back on now) personally I think the 457 is too risky for families, or people hoping to transition to permanency.