whats all the fuss about with rentals? got our first one!! lol

bennyblueboy

Hey guys,just thought I'd let people know there is hope for people renting in Perth! We applied for our first long term rental a couple of days ago after only being here a week,and got it!!! Can't believe it after all the story's I heard on here about ten families turning up for one viewing ! We are in lovely area of somerly in Clarkson just 5 minutes drive to mindarie beach. It's a lovely big 4x2x2 house,so can't believe our luck.we also managed to get the kids enrolled in the local primary school which is about a 10 minute walk from the house,and they start on Tuesday.also bank cards and TFN number arrived yesterday.so it was a great day yesterday and feels like Everything is falling into place after only being here a week!!

We moved out four years ago but our first few weeks were like that too - after so much worry it is amazing when it all comes together.

You might have just been extremely lucky but it also depends on where you are prepared to live, the Somerly area of Clarkson is the better side of Clarkson with new private housing but Clarkson is considered an undesitrable area by most Perthites, I think it is one of those places (like the suburb I live in!) where the reputation is worse than the reality, and a lot has been done in recent years to improve those suburbs with a lot of council housing.

What I am trying to say, if you are willing to live somewhere like Clarkson, then finding a rental is probably an awful lot easier than if you want to live in one of the 'desirable' suburbs - not wanting to take away your shine, it is fabulous for you, but it doesn't mean there isn't a rental crisis in Perth - there is! Maybe people just need to be less fussy, when people talk about 'bad areas' in Perth I giggle, after living in the North of England i have seen nowhere in Perth I'd consider a 'bad area' :)

A lot depends on the age of your children, Clarkson high School has a terrible reputation so it wouldn't suit everyone but we also live in an area where the High school is pretty awful (heard first hand from a supply teacher when she called the register a pupil answered 'what do you want c**t!). If you compare Clarkson High School where 3% of pupils go onto university to say Shenton College (still a non-selective state school) where 66% go on to university you can see why it might be hard for a new migrant to get a rental in the Shenton Park catchment area!

It sounds like you've got a long time before you need to worry about High schools though! Enjoy settling in Perth :)

It's great to read something positive about the rental situation in Perth. We arrive in 20 days (yay!). We will be staying in Mindarie with family until we get a rental sorted. My Nephew goes to Mindarie school and I have heard great things about it.

Clarkson High School on the other hand - only heard bad things. I have heard mixed reviews of Clarkson itself, but there is good and bad everywhere. We were looking at rentals online in Clarkson, and there seem to be quite a few. Coming from Swansea where I have live in 'rough' areas, it will be interesting to see what is considered 'rough' in comparison. As Jules said, your kid are not of High School age yet (same as me), so you have time to get the lie of the land and move into the catchment area of a better high school later on. i have managed to get my 3yr old into a pre-kindy programme in Beldon, so we have considered looking there for a place to live, but have also heard bad things about that area.

Anyway - enjoy settling into your new pad :-)

Hey guys,just thought I'd let people know there is hope for people renting in Perth! We applied for our first long term rental a couple of days ago after only being here a week,and got it!!! Can't believe it after all the story's I heard on here about ten families turning up for one viewing ! We are in lovely area of somerly in Clarkson just 5 minutes drive to mindarie beach. It's a lovely big 4x2x2 house,so can't believe our luck.we also managed to get the kids enrolled in the local primary school which is about a 10 minute walk from the house,and they start on Tuesday.also bank cards and TFN number arrived yesterday.so it was a great day yesterday and feels like Everything is falling into place after only being here a week!!

Yes I think you are right, the difficulties can be hugely exaggerated. We were terrified of finding somewhere that would take pets because of the horror stories, in the event we had no trouble whatsoever. I think the process requires a certain amount of organisation, but beyond that it is OK really.

Does it help if you have references with you ??

We put together a rental pack of information so that we were all set to go. The only reference we had was a two liner from the agent in the UK who we are renting our owned house through, the letter said that they are our management agent and the house was very nice.

It's great to read something positive about the rental situation in Perth. We arrive in 20 days (yay!). We will be staying in Mindarie with family until we get a rental sorted. My Nephew goes to Mindarie school and I have heard great things about it.

Clarkson High School on the other hand - only heard bad things. I have heard mixed reviews of Clarkson itself, but there is good and bad everywhere. We were looking at rentals online in Clarkson, and there seem to be quite a few. Coming from Swansea where I have live in 'rough' areas, it will be interesting to see what is considered 'rough' in comparison. As Jules said, your kid are not of High School age yet (same as me), so you have time to get the lie of the land and move into the catchment area of a better high school later on. i have managed to get my 3yr old into a pre-kindy programme in Beldon, so we have considered looking there for a place to live, but have also heard bad things about that area.

Anyway - enjoy settling into your new pad :-)

Hey Welshkiwi,mindarie is lush,if we could have afforded it we would have gone there,Clarkson is right next to mindarie.I know people have different views and that is fair enough.but for us it's lovely and have not got anything bad to say at present.we are from Luton near Bedfordshire which was voted the worst town in the UK to live !!! Lol so for us this is a step up.it wasn't our first choice but is so much more affordable compared to suburbs closer to the city. We don't intend on staying here long term but for now it's fine till we get settled and find our feet,the house is so nice and in a lovely street,everyone we have met here have been so friendly and the ocean keys shopping centre and mindarie beach are on our door step! In regards to the school,my kids are going to somerly primary school which is really nice and the kids seem really well behaved.our kids are a few years of high school by which time we will be in a better position to send our kids to a decent high school.so at this moment in time it's perfect for us!

We moved out four years ago but our first few weeks were like that too - after so much worry it is amazing when it all comes together.

You might have just been extremely lucky but it also depends on where you are prepared to live, the Somerly area of Clarkson is the better side of Clarkson with new private housing but Clarkson is considered an undesitrable area by most Perthites, I think it is one of those places (like the suburb I live in!) where the reputation is worse than the reality, and a lot has been done in recent years to improve those suburbs with a lot of council housing.

What I am trying to say, if you are willing to live somewhere like Clarkson, then finding a rental is probably an awful lot easier than if you want to live in one of the 'desirable' suburbs - not wanting to take away your shine, it is fabulous for you, but it doesn't mean there isn't a rental crisis in Perth - there is! Maybe people just need to be less fussy, when people talk about 'bad areas' in Perth I giggle, after living in the North of England i have seen nowhere in Perth I'd consider a 'bad area' :)

A lot depends on the age of your children, Clarkson high School has a terrible reputation so it wouldn't suit everyone but we also live in an area where the High school is pretty awful (heard first hand from a supply teacher when she called the register a pupil answered 'what do you want c**t!). If you compare Clarkson High School where 3% of pupils go onto university to say Shenton College (still a non-selective state school) where 66% go on to university you can see why it might be hard for a new migrant to get a rental in the Shenton Park catchment area!

It sounds like you've got a long time before you need to worry about High schools though! Enjoy settling in Perth :)

Hey Jules,yes I totally agree! I think that people try to run before they can walk when they emigrate,wanting the perfect life as soon as they arrive! Fair enough if you come over with plenty of dosh you might have it ! We didn't come over with rose tinted glases on and knew we would have to work our way up and we are very happy with things so far!but already we can see what a fantastic life we are gonna have here!!

Hey Welshkiwi,mindarie is lush,if we could have afforded it we would have gone there,Clarkson is right next to mindarie.I know people have different views and that is fair enough.but for us it's lovely and have not got anything bad to say at present.we are from Luton near Bedfordshire which was voted the worst town in the UK to live !!! Lol so for us this is a step up.it wasn't our first choice but is so much more affordable compared to suburbs closer to the city. We don't intend on staying here long term but for now it's fine till we get settled and find our feet,the house is so nice and in a lovely street,everyone we have met here have been so friendly and the ocean keys shopping centre and mindarie beach are on our door step! In regards to the school,my kids are going to somerly primary school which is really nice and the kids seem really well behaved.our kids are a few years of high school by which time we will be in a better position to send our kids to a decent high school.so at this moment in time it's perfect for us!

How is work situation benny I pm you but never heard back hope it's worked out I'm out 1 April

How is work situation benny I pm you but never heard back hope it's worked out I'm out 1 April

Hey Jake,yeah it's all good here mate.haven't started work yet but just been offered a job doing fifo on the mines.money is unreal!!! So I'm gonna give it a go!there is plenty of work in the city and surrounding areas but u need to do your white card to get a job.

Lol my home town is Luton the place is such a dump I avoid going back unless qbsolute necessity right now am in Wolverhampton it's rough got a letter through the door about one of the parents at the school has an ASBO not allowed on school grounds so for us too doubt Aussie slightly undesirable any worse than where we are!

Congrats on getting the rental. It can be tough i know, but there is enough info on here to stand anybody in good stead for getting one.

We too got the first one we applied for and that was while we were still in the UK!

Can totally agree with you that its just a different set up here. 8 months in and even with working and doing the usual chores, i still feel like ive landed in a 5* holiday

Life is so good here, I havent seen rain since November. Every morning i can come out to the pool. The lifestyle is fantastic.

No way could i ever have had it so good in the UK

Best wishes

Nice one bbb, it's nice to hear some positives, were on our way soon, keep me posted on the construction side o things, nice to hear you like the area, sounds better than where I am, two drive by shootings this week, same ole same ole, good luck pal

Guest Guest 47403

Nice one mate don't let anyone rain on your parade enjoy it all, hope it continues to go well for you just take the little hiccups and set backs in your stride when they do happen, you sound like you have the right mindset to make the most of the opportunity given to you.

This is great news. Much better than pitching a tent on the beach x

Hey Jake,yeah it's all good here mate.haven't started work yet but just been offered a job doing food.....money is unreal!!! So I'm gonna give it a go!there is plenty of work in the city and surrounding areas but u need to do your white card to get a job

Good luck seems you have been busy man glad to hear you got a rental sorted for your family

Does it help if you have references with you ??

They ask for character references in the application,but all we had was work references,so we just put them in and lucky enough the landlord of our short term let offered to be a referee for us as well.just put as much info about your selves as you can.

Hope this helps

Guest Guest26012

We started out in a rental in somerly five years ago when we came here. It was a lovely brand new house. Nothing wrong with the area, it has good and bad bits just the same as any other! The good thing about it was we could walk to the Whale and Ale and Mindarie was on the doorstep! It doesn't matter about others opinions on an area, there's sometimes a lot of snobbery in their comments, enjoy!:biggrin:

Hey Jake,yeah it's all good here mate.haven't started work yet but just been offered a job doing fifo on the mines.money is unreal!!! So I'm gonna give it a go!there is plenty of work in the city and surrounding areas but u need to do your white card to get a job.

Congratulations on the job offer :) Just thought I'd mention anyone can do a white card on line, it takes about two hours and then about a week to come through. I'm just waiting for mine :)

Archived