Australia and the price of limes.....

flybyknight

My car is old enough to vote and gets me to work and back every day, I look after it so expect it will do so for quite a few years yet.

I too have a lime tree, and I'm not going to start on the lemons!

I must be in the wrong profession then.

Guest chris955

I just read it and honestly thought at first is was a wind up but I think the author is serious. Some of the 'facts' are interesting to say the least.

I always thought it was the British obsessed with new cars, Aussies happy to buy a car new and keep it till it falls apart, no silly MOT man trying to rip you off

No silly MOT man = cars on the road which are not road worthy= dangers to you and me .. And we all know how good an Aussie can drive

Guest chris955

Yes some States have a yearly or 2 yearly roadworthy test. I think it is crazy that a car can just keep running without ever being tested in Queensland for example.

Yes some States have a yearly or 2 yearly roadworthy test. I think it is crazy that a car can just keep running without ever being tested in Queensland for example.

No test in WA , I saw a young kiwi stopped by plod on the freeway. The door couldn't shut it was tied with rope , tyres , what tyres lol , no yellow sticker unbelievable

Dont u just need to get a RWC when you come to sell? Maybe its a bad idea that u can go 20 years without a check but i think a check every year is over the the top. My car in the UK always needed something or other done to it costing £200 or so, so annoying... I cant help thinking its a racket set up to make garages money

Guest chris955
Dont u just need to get a RWC when you come to sell? Maybe its a bad idea that u can go 20 years without a check but i think a check every year is over the the top. My car in the UK always needed something or other done to it costing £200 or so, so annoying... I cant help thinking its a racket set up to make garages money

Different States have different rules, of course. Many places here only do MOTs and dont do mechanical work so there isnt much to gain for them. If you car needs something doing to it every year does that tell you anything ? Perhaps that regular checks are actually a good idea ? When you see some of the wrecks getting around in Australia it definitely makes you realise regular roadworthiness checks are a good idea.

im not so sure, i mean yes you need your car to be safe, but every year?

MOT's are hugely overpriced, and because the government are involved they take a chunk. and if that basic check costs £50 and it takes an hour, then this kind of helps dictate what garages charge in labour for other jobs.

as i understand it, if the police in Australia pull you for not being roadworthy you have to get it fixed. shouldn't that be enough?

maybe a fine also, if there isn't one in place already, as a deterrent.

cars are for the most part pretty reliable machines nowadays, and 'keeping up with the jones's' stops most people driving an old shed around anyway.

Guest chris955

An MOT costs £32 so its hardly going to break the bank. Its all very well the Police being able to pull you over but they dont know if you brakes are faulty or there is some safety issue other than the very obvious ones like worn tyres. There are plenty of old cars on the road in Australia and it is worrying to think many have never been tested. I dont have a problem with yearly checks to be honest.

cars are for the most part pretty reliable machines nowadays, and 'keeping up with the jones's' stops most people driving an old shed around anyway.

"Keeping up with the Jones'", that's the problem in a nutshell. And that's exactly what the article is saying.

In Kalgoorlie (in fact much of WA) people have a very materialistic attitude and always want the latest 4x4, computer or TV. We recently witnessed a man in a motorbike dealership looking for a bike for his son. He actually used the line 'I don't care how much it costs', which was probably a red rag to a bull for the salesman! No wonder prices are inflated here with attitudes like that.

I have actually seen limes for sale in Coles and Woolies for $2.50 each. Right now they're cheap but depends on seasonality.

The journalist in the original article did say the "seaside village" in which her parents lived was a mecca for mine workers on leave. Maybe just indicative of the "two speed economy" in Australia? The economic reality for most Australians is very different to that which she portrays.

The article was attempting to be a little light I'd say. Don't disagree with the main thrust though. Here in Perth we do not see the number of old bangers as would have been around twenty years ago.

I think most aware that personal debt is very high in Australia a lot due to housing inflation but on the surface there is the appearance of wealth. Sadly there is a lot more ostentatious behaviour evident than ten years back when the corresponent lived in Australia.

To say there is more anxiety is something else I'd agree with along with folk working longer hours to pay for their toys. Lots of talk about the economy after the boom....

The price of lemons often imported from USA is crazy....expect limes are as well.

Besides being a little on the light side what do folk find so wrong in the article I wonder?

What an absolute load of b••••••s ...! Where an earth do they find these people. No old cars on the road....!

Old cars on the road here are so rare they gather a lot of interest and are seen as very 'cool'. And they sure aren't those little pommy buzz boxes they drive.

"Keeping up with the Jones'", that's the problem in a nutshell. And that's exactly what the article is saying.

In Kalgoorlie (in fact much of WA) people have a very materialistic attitude and always want the latest 4x4, computer or TV. We recently witnessed a man in a motorbike dealership looking for a bike for his son. He actually used the line 'I don't care how much it costs', which was probably a red rag to a bull for the salesman! No wonder prices are inflated here with attitudes like that.

I have actually seen limes for sale in Coles and Woolies for $2.50 each. Right now they're cheap but depends on seasonality.

Yep very much so. While Australia has for a long time been materially inclined,long before the affluence disease impacted in Britain,at least in my view,this desire for the flashiest, most expensive mode of existance is rather recent, perhaps a result of more money(cashed up Bogans) than sense in the resource rich states.

Actually I thought it was fairly accurate compared to what I am seeing here. Me and my partner both generally agreed with it. It really does feel to us that there is a rat race here and it's hard work resisting being dragged along with it.

We often get criticised for having such a small car (Suzuki Jimny) and my OH's workmates refer to it as the shopping trolley since it has a basket roof rack on it. It's all in jest but hints at the underlying willy waving that tends to go on here, especially by those who have the Prados and Patrols that have 'all the fruit' as they say here.

Archived