Australia and the price of limes.....

flybyknight

Her problem was that as she had lived in the Uk so long she expected consistent pricing across the year for Fruit and veg out of season. Limes are only cheap when in season and that's when you use them. There was another poster on here complaining that grapes were 6 pounds in November - of course they were! I appreciate it takes a while to re-learn the seasons for things but it hasn't really been that long in the UK since produce was seasonal too. I can remember having to explain what a passionfruit was to a checkout girl in Sainbury's only 5 years ago....

There are a lot of new cars in Perth than other Oz cities I have been to but there is a good reason.

Second hand cars for some stupid reason hold their value to the point people ask 3/4 of the new price even after 5 years and 200,000km

As a result the difference between a second hand and a new one isnt that much, especially when some of them like Toyota are 0% finance.

I blame the idiots buying these second hand cars for stupid asking prices

"Keeping up with the Jones'", that's the problem in a nutshell. And that's exactly what the article is saying.

In Kalgoorlie (in fact much of WA) people have a very materialistic attitude and always want the latest 4x4, computer or TV. We recently witnessed a man in a motorbike dealership looking for a bike for his son. He actually used the line 'I don't care how much it costs', which was probably a red rag to a bull for the salesman! No wonder prices are inflated here with attitudes like that.

I have actually seen limes for sale in Coles and Woolies for $2.50 each. Right now they're cheap but depends on seasonality.

The article seems fairly accurate to me, in that those with money are getting richer more materialistic, those without money are skint, and getting skinter by the day.

Her problem was that as she had lived in the Uk so long she expected consistent pricing across the year for Fruit and veg out of season. Limes are only cheap when in season and that's when you use them. There was another poster on here complaining that grapes were 6 pounds in November - of course they were! I appreciate it takes a while to re-learn the seasons for things but it hasn't really been that long in the UK since produce was seasonal too. I can remember having to explain what a passionfruit was to a checkout girl in Sainbury's only 5 years ago....

to a degree you're right, but as boganbear suggests, the fluctuation in price of fresh fruit in Colesworths on a near daily basis, indicates that 'other factors' are involved here.

to a degree you're right, but as boganbear suggests, the fluctuation in price of fresh fruit in Colesworths on a near daily basis, indicates that 'other factors' are involved here.

Yes, it tends to be the case of "buy it when it's cheap", not "buy it when it's in season". Sometimes the two coincide but sometimes only a weak correlation!

For example bagged salad has sometimes been a bit tricky to get hold of here due to extreme heat most recently, and in winter it was extreme cold. The price has stayed the same throughout!

An MOT costs £32 so its hardly going to break the bank. Its all very well the Police being able to pull you over but they dont know if you brakes are faulty or there is some safety issue other than the very obvious ones like worn tyres. There are plenty of old cars on the road in Australia and it is worrying to think many have never been tested. I dont have a problem with yearly checks to be honest.

My experience with MOT's was get to know the guys in the garage and you could get anything passed, as long as you slipped them a few quid for a beer or 2. The whole system is bent.

Cars on the roads in the UK need checking a lot more than cars here due to the conditions they have to cope with. I used to work on cars all the time when I was a fitter, bit of a hobby and the number of cars where the bolts had to be cut off as they were rusted after a year or so was pretty common. Brake systems, brakes in general and the chassis take much more battering in the UK, especially in winter. The first couple of cars I had had holes in the floor and had a serious amount of welding done around the front suspension due to the rust. You just don't get that over here. I still see minis here that would have been a pile of rust 20 years ago in the UK.

The article was attempting to be a little light I'd say. Don't disagree with the main thrust though. Here in Perth we do not see the number of old bangers as would have been around twenty years ago.

I think most aware that personal debt is very high in Australia a lot due to housing inflation but on the surface there is the appearance of wealth. Sadly there is a lot more ostentatious behaviour evident than ten years back when the corresponent lived in Australia.

To say there is more anxiety is something else I'd agree with along with folk working longer hours to pay for their toys. Lots of talk about the economy after the boom....

The price of lemons often imported from USA is crazy....expect limes are as well.

Besides being a little on the light side what do folk find so wrong in the article I wonder?

I don't think humans are happy unless they are worrying about something. Me, I must be strange. Don't think too far ahead and I've lived by that all my life. Don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed.

We may as well make the most of the good times and stop complaining. I've seen enough booms and busts to last a lifetime, including in Aus where it was as bad as the UK was in 92.

What's up? Don't people feel right if they aren't anxious about something?:cool:

Guest chris955

Fortunately rusty old wrecks are a thing of the past here with the news cars, they just dont deteriorate like they used to. I have heard this argument a lot from people that have been away for years, it is very different now. The rustiest car I ever owned was an XC Falcon.

Fortunately rusty old wrecks are a thing of the past here with the news cars, they just dont deteriorate like they used to. I have heard this argument a lot from people that have been away for years, it is very different now. The rustiest car I ever owned was an XC Falcon.

Yeh, I'm sure all the young kids just starting work in those well paid jobs are all rushing out buying new cars.

Yes, it tends to be the case of "buy it when it's cheap", not "buy it when it's in season". Sometimes the two coincide but sometimes only a weak correlation!

For example bagged salad has sometimes been a bit tricky to get hold of here due to extreme heat most recently, and in winter it was extreme cold. The price has stayed the same throughout!

When bananas went up to stupid prices because of the cyclones, or something, last year the shops were full of bananas that no-one was buying 'cos they were too expensive.

They were rotting in the shops and people bought other fruit that was cheaper. There is usually some fruit or other that is cheap and available. The plums at the moment seem to be great value (at least in our local grocer) and quality too.

You realise you are going to pay a lot more for bagged salad than just make your own too. I guess that's what happens when there is plenty of money around.

Guest chris955
Yeh, I'm sure all the young kids just starting work in those well paid jobs are all rushing out buying new cars.

Im not sure I understand the need for the sarcastic comment ? Where did I make any reference to young kids buying new cars ?I merely said that the newer cars dont rust like older ones which is common knowledge.

Im not sure I understand the need for the sarcastic comment ? Where did I make any reference to young kids buying new cars ?I merely said that the newer cars dont rust like older ones which is common knowledge.

Unless things have changed an awful lot the first car will still be an old rust bucket. Unless they've stopped using steel in the last 20 or so years.

Guest chris955
Unless things have changed an awful lot the first car will still be an old rust bucket. Unless they've stopped using steel in the last 20 or so years.

Yes, it is fair to say things have changed an awful lot since you were here. Of course they still use steel but fortunately like everything else technology has moved on. I can only go by what I see on the roads everyday.

Archived