Second thoughts!

rossendale

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why do you want to move? That is the question.

There are too few days like this.

I feel as if the kids and I have been stuck inside for months.

Everybody talks about a better quality of life for their kids on Oz.

I'm fed up of hearing myself talking about going and not taking the plunge.

If we don't we'll never know whether it was the wrong decision.

As a good friend said to me the other day 'life is long'!

Yup definitely rethink, it's another fabulous day! Snowdrops and crocuses are out with the aconites and the daffodils are in bloom - unbeatable! On my walk today I don't think I have ever seen so many families out on their bikes. One young girl was even walking along the track in bare feet!

There are too few days like this.

I feel as if the kids and I have been stuck inside for months.

Everybody talks about a better quality of life for their kids on Oz.

I'm fed up of hearing myself talking about going and not taking the plunge.

If we don't we'll never know whether it was the wrong decision.

As a good friend said to me the other day 'life is long'!

They sound like good reasons to me for giving it a go as an adventure that might lead to more, not necessarily good reasons to cut all ties and move irrevocably. But that sort of depends on what you can afford I guess. I like all of them except the third, which is a bit of a cliche

Those valleys in the South Pennines you live in are beautiful places. But they'll still be there if it doesn't work out

They sound like good reasons to me for giving it a go as an adventure that might lead to more, not necessarily good reasons to cut all ties and move irrevocably. But that sort of depends on what you can afford I guess. I like all of them except the third, which is a bit of a cliche

Those valleys in the South Pennines you live in are beautiful places. But they'll still be there if it doesn't work out

Wise words everybody. It isn't just the weather it's about taking a chance on something better and as you say we can always come back and live down south!

The kids are 6, 4 and 3 so I think it's enough time to give it a try and still get them settled back here before high school.

Just be clear what Oz will "offer" your children. Schools not necessarily better. In fact there is maybe a reason why in the paper yesterday it reported nearly half of adults are illiterate. Sunshine, well, we are hoping that today will be the first day this week it will be ok to go for a picnic as the rest of the week we would have fried. There is a good reason why most people who go to the beach will have been and gone by 11am.

Wise words everybody. It isn't just the weather it's about taking a chance on something better and as you say we can always come back and live down south!

The kids are 6, 4 and 3 so I think it's enough time to give it a try and still get them settled back here before high school.

You're talkimg about returning before you have even left? I'd forget about it if i was you, total lack of commitment

Rawtenstall!

Hi there

We to are from rossendale we live in weir, just through BACUP, where abouts are you going in oz? regards the weather we're of to todmorden park with the kids, then I'm out on mi bike this aff just a shame we can't do it more often, I won't be changing my mind lol :wink:

Pete Martine & kids

You're talkimg about returning before you have even left? I'd forget about it if i was you, total lack of commitment

Disagree totally - you can't fail at an adventure - once it stops being an adventure then you reassess and move on to the next adventure. There's nothing in the rule book that says you have to commit to Australia for life - they stopped that sentence years ago!

Yup definitely rethink, it's another fabulous day! Snowdrops and crocuses are out with the aconites and the daffodils are in bloom - unbeatable! On my walk today I don't think I have ever seen so many families out on their bikes. One young girl was even walking along the track in bare feet!

Ah Quoll,you can see everything getting prepared to burst back into life hey?I love February.Yesterday we walked about 5 miles along the canal to Bath,sun was shining and people looked happy,and commenting how nice it was outside!Watched abit of Bath Rugby (from a bridge that overlooks the stadium,whoops haha),yeah just a really fab day.Today frosty at 7am,but clear blue sky out there and sun is shining brightly.Out on another walk today,on the Ridgeway near Avebury.Have a great day Quoll!

Just be clear what Oz will "offer" your children. Schools not necessarily better. In fact there is maybe a reason why in the paper yesterday it reported nearly half of adults are illiterate. Sunshine, well, we are hoping that today will be the first day this week it will be ok to go for a picnic as the rest of the week we would have fried. There is a good reason why most people who go to the beach will have been and gone by 11am.

Your comments brought back memories for me.I can remember now,when it was hot,deciding whether to take the kids to the beach,(we did'nt live near it mind you so was over an hours drive away)and by 10am,nope too hot to even contemplate it unfortunately.I still don't do beaches all day when I go away here either.Still head for the shade and stay inside between 11am and 3pm lol

Hi there

We to are from rossendale we live in weir, just through BACUP, where abouts are you going in oz? regards the weather we're of to todmorden park with the kids, then I'm out on mi bike this aff just a shame we can't do it more often, I won't be changing my mind lol :wink:

Pete Martine & kids

Melbourne. You?

Small world, we were in Tod park yesterday too!

I wobble daily. My OH is 100% committed.

What makes you so determined?

Your comments brought back memories for me.I can remember now,when it was hot,deciding whether to take the kids to the beach,(we did'nt live near it mind you so was over an hours drive away)and by 10am,nope too hot to even contemplate it unfortunately.I still don't do beaches all day when I go away here either.Still head for the shade and stay inside between 11am and 3pm lol

I'm the same re beaches. I lived in Spain for a few years. Although I never got into beach life I did aclimatise and learn to live and work in the heat albeit in an air conditioned school!

The sun is shining in the valley today.

The kids are playing in the garden. Bikes are in the car ready to go to the park.

OH has a day off.

Perhaps we should stay!!!

You know the feeling you got when you woke up, the sun was shining, your hubby had the day off and you can go to the park.

Well when you live here you can have that every weekend but with free parking and uncrowded parks. You could even swap the park for a beach if you fancied a dip.

Know what you mean. We live 2 mins from the beach by car and about a 10 min walk. We go almost daily now but when we rented in Como, only 20 mins to the beach we didn't go anywhere near as much. Still liked it when we went though.

We usually go early, even on weekdays I go before work for a ski paddle, swim or something. At weekends I go down at 7:00am on Saturday and the youngster and wife go to Trigg about the same time for a board training session. We stay for a few hours though and I could quite easily go home for some lunch and back down in the afternoon when it's nice weather, which is most of the time. It can be 40 degrees at home and still feel really pleasant on the beach as there is usually a cooling breeze.

Not for everyone I know but I still love it and have never got over the feeling of how lucky we are.

Know what you mean. We live 2 mins from the beach by car and about a 10 min walk. We go almost daily now but when we rented in Como, only 20 mins to the beach we didn't go anywhere near as much. Still liked it when we went though.

We usually go early, even on weekdays I go before work for a ski paddle, swim or something. At weekends I go down at 7:00am on Saturday and the youngster and wife go to Trigg about the same time for a board training session. We stay for a few hours though and I could quite easily go home for some lunch and back down in the afternoon when it's nice weather, which is most of the time. It can be 40 degrees at home and still feel really pleasant on the beach as there is usually a cooling breeze.

Not for everyone I know but I still love it and have never got over the feeling of how lucky we are.

Hats off to you paul as I have never known anyone to go to the beach as much as you. Even my family who live in Spain don't go as much as you.....!

Hats off to you paul as I have never known anyone to go to the beach as much as you. Even my family who live in Spain don't go as much as you.....!

We have a bunch of friends who do the same. One of the reasons we go so much is we meet people who we know there. There are restaurants, pubs too if we fancy something to eat or drink with them. Bit like we used to meet people in the pub in the UK.

When we used to go to Spain we noticed the whole family would often go to the beach together, From Grandparents to young kids, 3 or 4 generations sometimes. Nice to see.

Archived