Rise in UK Suicides Blamed on Recession

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest Guest26012
Erhhhh that is what I said.

No you didn't, you said that they weren't REAL if they weren't successful! And you said they did it for attention. I would have worded that differently and called it a cry for help! Be careful when choosing your words pb.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest16631
Don't agree, think it is relevant to the thread, the reasons why they do it.

"an increase thought to reflect the impact of the recession."............I understood this was the threads relevance..........there are many reasons why some choose .......suicide...........the op was .......to my understanding.......... About an increase thought to reflect the impact of the recession.

.............again a complex and harrowing subject.............with many opinions to many situations..............

for the OP...........devastating for all concerned.....

You get plenty of serial suicide people who would never take their own lives and a lot do it for attention for whatever reason, the real ones are the ones who do it first time and are successful.

An incorrect and generalized analogy PB. Yes I do meet people who try often, without the real intention of seeing it through. But some of these people succeed eventually. This is what I mean about some people not being for this world. They will try many times and eventually go through with it because they simply do not want to live life anymore. Euthanasia is a different topic. But I see some understanding in what you're saying. I would never judge someone for taking their own life. It really is theirs to do whatever they wish with. I might not like it but it is ultimately out of my hands if they chose to take that path. And what I choose to do with my life after is to pick up the pieces.

Guest Guest26012

For anyone has ever experienced it then my heart goes out to you! It's so so tragic! Now I'm done with this thread cos it's being hijacked and I've contributed my own thoughts. X

i feel it is the ultimate act of a desperately selfish person.

there are people who for whatever reason cannot vocalise themselves effectively.

they find their only way to influence and control those around them is with hard emotions like forcing guilt on people. and attempted suicide is a great weapon. its just now and then it goes wrong.

this obviously isnt true of all suicides. but every person ive heard of who attempted it, clearly falls into the above. including the one who made it.

and as such i find it hard to feel for them. i feel incredibly sad for the people they affect with their death, they will likely blame themselves for the rest of their lives. (the seed of guilt was likely sewn by the corpse well before the act)

suicide is usually the ultimate act of hate aimed at the ones most vulnerable to it.

and for that i will joke, laugh at, and hate the corpse. and i have nothing but compassion and sympathy for those left behind.

there are people who for whatever reason cannot vocalise themselves effectively.

they find their only way to influence and control those around them is with hard emotions like forcing guilt on people. and attempted suicide is a great weapon. its just now and then it goes wrong.

this obviously isnt true of all suicides. but every person ive heard of who attempted it, clearly falls into the above. including the one who made it.

and as such i find it hard to feel for them. i feel incredibly sad for the people they affect with their death, they will likely blame themselves for the rest of their lives. (the seed of guilt was likely sewn by the corpse well before the act)

suicide is usually the ultimate act of hate aimed at the ones most vulnerable to it.

and for that i will joke, laugh at, and hate the corpse. and i have nothing but compassion and sympathy for those left behind.

I don't agree . I'm not going to comment any further on this thread or I'll just get angry

cheerio

No you didn't, you said that they weren't REAL if they weren't successful! And you said they did it for attention. I would have worded that differently and called it a cry for help! Be careful when choosing your words pb.

Errr, read it again, I said SOME would never take their own lives, some do it for a cry for help which needs help but there are some who do it for attention and they need medical help also.

It does seem selfish if you are leaving your loved ones in turmoil for the rest of their lives and also if your death is going to cause financial worries, but who can tell what is going through someone's mind.

Yes people are left to pick up the pieces but i dont think theres many (if any) people who would kill themselves thinking how much its going to hurt someone. I just dont think that goes through their head.

For some people they might think that their family is better off without them

Yes people are left to pick up the pieces but i dont think theres many (if any) people who would kill themselves thinking how much its going to hurt someone. I just dont think that goes through their head.

For some people they might think that their family is better off without them

In your desperation your family should be at the front of you mind and what effect it will have on your wife husband children brother sister father mother, there must be so any out there who would take lives but their families keep them going, it can be seen as a selfish act if you family and children.

There are many different reasons for suicide- mental illness, angush because of a loss ( can be a person, a job etc) general low self esteem and a sense of worthlessness. Many of us have had either a family member or a friend who has doen this- I know I have, many years ago.- one of my daughter's very close friends. We never really knew the reason and that is what is the hardest thing. I guess the age of those in the UK suggests it is at a time when they have a lot of dependents and a lot of financial stress- and they probably see many around them being highly paid and successful at the peak of their careers which rubs it in. I wonder if their is a correlation between the suicide rate and family break down/ divorce or just children leaving home?

a moment of clarity.... yes i feel this way... and yes its controversial, but i didn't need to say it on here.

conversations like this are best left to share with those who can see your face, your emotions, a little of the soul i guess.

its not the kind of thing i should be sharing in text.

i dont set out to inflame or to hurt, i just try to be open and honest; i guess sometimes that can be a bit much!

You get plenty of serial suicide people who would never take their own lives and a lot do it for attention for whatever reason, the real ones are the ones who do it first time and are successful.

"The real ones".......................WTF???????????? I'm a 3 time "serial" attemptor (as you so knowingly put it). I intended every time...............I even failed at that..........no intention of "crying for help" as nobody had been listeneing for years. You really have not the slightest idea of the human mental state do you?

a moment of clarity.... yes i feel this way... and yes its controversial, but i didn't need to say it on here.

conversations like this are best left to share with those who can see your face, your emotions, a little of the soul i guess.

its not the kind of thing i should be sharing in text.

i dont set out to inflame or to hurt, i just try to be open and honest; i guess sometimes that can be a bit much!

I wouldnt worry about it too much, we're all entitled to our opinions. I just didnt find it funny and thought the way PB said it was heartless even if it was supposed to be "funny"

I guess its just a very sensitive subject for a lot of people who have had suicides in their family or severe depression

I wouldnt worry about it too much, we're all entitled to our opinions. I just didnt find it funny and thought the way PB said it was heartless even if it was supposed to be "funny"

I guess its just a very sensitive subject for a lot of people who have had suicides in their family or severe depression

Can I ask you stacy, do you or anyone on here find frankie Boyle funny?

Can I ask you stacy, do you or anyone on here find frankie Boyle funny?

I used to like some of his earlier stuff but not anymore - he goes too far with subjects like disabled children. And he's also said some horrible things about suicide too...

Is that where you get your material from?

I used to like some of his earlier stuff but not anymore - he goes too far with subjects like disabled children. And he's also said some horrible things about suicide too...

Is that where you get your material from?

Yes it was along one of his jokes, I have been very depressed in the past but would still laugh at jokes about suicide he tells, we are just all different, I have a sick sense if humour, but hey ho..that's me, and at least I do not hide my true feelings like so many people.

I'd like to post a link to MIND UK.

There are 6 pages to read off this link. In the purple menu. I found it worth 10 minutes of my time.

http://www.mind.org.uk/mental_health_a-z/8065_how_to_support_someone_who_is_suicidal

It might shed some light or help someone reading this thread, be they having these thoughts and feelings themselves or perhaps know someone who may be struggling.

With a recession where so many people's businesses are folding and people losing their jobs, unpaid bills and next to nothing to live on, i can see how people would consider doing something as stupid as this is pure despair but still, there is always some hope. I find it very sad that a perfectly healthy person can choose to take their own life, yet someone may die through unfortunate illness or through tragedy and they do not get that choice.

I think suicide is one of the most selfish things anyone can ever do and i think no matter what your circumstance is, how bad things get or seem, there is always an alternative (in my opinion anyway).

I find it particularly sad in this day & age that people's sense of pride can over rule their common sense. What ever happened to picking yourself up off the floor, brushing yourself off and starting again?

Guest guest30085
With a recession where so many people's businesses are folding and people losing their jobs, unpaid bills and next to nothing to live on, i can see how people would consider doing something as stupid as this is pure despair but still, there is always some hope. I find it very sad that a perfectly healthy person can choose to take their own life, yet someone may die through unfortunate illness or through tragedy and they do not get that choice.

I think suicide is one of the most selfish things anyone can ever do and i think no matter what your circumstance is, how bad things get or seem, there is always an alternative (in my opinion anyway).

I find it particularly sad in this day & age that people's sense of pride can over rule their common sense. What ever happened to picking yourself up off the floor, brushing yourself off and starting again?

Seriously? It's as simple as brushing themselves off?

The whole point is that they DON'T have any hope and can't see that things may get better, 'common sense' has been eroded due to Mental Health issues or such a desperation that they can't see the light at the end of the tunnel.

The whole point is that they DON'T have any hope and can't see that things may get better, 'common sense' has been eroded due to Mental Health issues or such a desperation that they can't see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Many people do feel like this yes and they think that the only way outside suicide, but in many the hurt they know it will mean to their kids and family prevent these people going through with it , I can only guess bu I would bet there are so many more who would take their own lives if they did not have kids, I feel for these people but in some circumstances .....yes I do think its selfish.

Yes seriously,

I am not trying to upset anyone, jeez give me a break, i am entitled to my opinion as is everyone else!

My personal opinion on this is that when there are people out there whose lives are affected by terminal illness or have lost their lives to a tragedy such as a car accident they do not have a choice, i feel it is a very selfish act for people who particularly have family and friends to choose to end their life when they do have a choice and that in doing so they lack complete consideration for the affect it with have on others for the rest of their lives. There are tons of support networks and places people could turn, particularly if as we are saying in this topic it is financially related.

It's very easy for people to assume all suicides are due to mental illness, and whilst i appreciate this is a factor in most, one which is financially driven are people who cannot face something that's happened or something they have done for them to be financially broken...and for me, i find this selfish, and in this instance i would say that yes, if your business has gone under and you owe thousands and you have not a bean to your name...you can definitely pick yourself back up off the floor...you just lose some of your pride.

It does, and it's saved many a few I guess, me included. Does that mean that we/they are not "far enough gone"? Does it mean we/they have far more conscience with regards to the pain we cause? Or is it just down to the degree of despair sunken to? Who knows?

Archived