WHV Prescription Required

someguyinoz

Hi all,

I've just had my WHV granted! Only took a few hours! :biggrin:

Anyway, when I get to Oz I'm going to need to get a prescription from somewhere for an ongoing condition. The NHS will give me up to 3 months, although I only have 2 issues left. So basically I have a few months to get a repeat prescription. Will this involve seeing a doctor in Oz? How does it work over there? Thanks!

Guest Guest26012
Hi all,

I've just had my WHV granted! Only took a few hours! :biggrin:

Anyway, when I get to Oz I'm going to need to get a prescription from somewhere for an ongoing condition. The NHS will give me up to 3 months, although I only have 2 issues left. So basically I have a few months to get a repeat prescription. Will this involve seeing a doctor in Oz? How does it work over there? Thanks!

Hi, you will need to make an appt with a gp. Good thing here is you can go to any gp. Not sure if you get Medicare on the WHV? If you do then some drs bulk bill which means you will not have to pay for the appt. if not then I think it's about $60 to $70 for the appt.

If you have a UK passport it does not matter what visa you are on and will be able to get Medicare, first week you arrive sort that out, find a bulk billing Dr and when required see him / her and get you prescription at a chemist - your dr app will be free and you will get a small discount with the medicare for the pills.. (The pills may be expensive tho))

Thanks guys!

Will the doc give me a 12 month prescription like they do here, or more likely to be 3 or 6? Plus do I get the prescription before my NHS prescription runs out or wait until I'm running low to do this? I'd rather get my head round it. If I go sooner rather than later will the paper prescription be valid for a while until I collect? Also will I have to go to and get a paper prescription every time I run low like here or is the one valid for the duration of the prescription, I'm in the system or however they do it?

Is health engine the place to look for docs?

if you can prove to the doc thats its an ongoing condition ...ie take some sort of letter from ur own doc with you ...then he might give you a repeat for up to 6 scripts ......i suppose it will depend on the doctor .....also note that a lot of tablets have different names over here ... before i came i googled the name of the tabs i was on and managed to find the ozzie equivalent

mrs keily

Hi yeah I've already been on the PBS schemes list of drugs. There's quite a few different names for it, some more expensive than others. I'll ask for generic because at the end of the day it's all the same stuff. It's like nurofen vs standard ibuprofen I guess, marketing strategy.

So say I get a 6 month prescription what do I do then? Is it like here where you get one month then have to phone for a repeat monthly, get either the paper if you live nearer a local pharmacy or the pills if you don't? I'd just rather not be needing to find a surgery and a pharmacy every month because I don't know where I'm going to be.

Guest Guest26012
Hi yeah I've already been on the PBS schemes list of drugs. There's quite a few different names for it, some more expensive than others. I'll ask for generic because at the end of the day it's all the same stuff. It's like nurofen vs standard ibuprofen I guess, marketing strategy.

So say I get a 6 month prescription what do I do then? Is it like here where you get one month then have to phone for a repeat monthly, get either the paper if you live nearer a local pharmacy or the pills if you don't? I'd just rather not be needing to find a surgery and a pharmacy every month because I don't know where I'm going to be.

They don't normally do repeat scripts over the phone here. You have to go back to see the gp.

So I will need to see the gp every month despite being issued a 6 month prescription? Why?

Hang on, if I get 6 months will I get it all at the same time?

Ahhh I see. You think I mean go back to the gp to get a repeat i.e when you've got no more issues available. That would only be the case if I'd been given a months prescription right?

Basically if he/she's given the green light for 6 months what do I do about getting it all?

So I will need to see the gp every month despite being issued a 6 month prescription? Why?

Hang on, if I get 6 months will I get it all at the same time?

Ahhh I see. You think I mean go back to the gp to get a repeat i.e when you've got no more issues available. That would only be the case if I'd been given a months prescription right?

Basically if he/she's given the green light for 6 months what do I do about getting it all?[/quote

It is not complicated!

You go to Doc's, explain what you need, he will give you prescription - I get 5 repeats on mine. You take prescription to Pharmacy, they give you medication plus an new prescription wtih 4 repeats on it, you pay for it. Next month you go back to Pharmacist, give them prescription, they give you medication and a new prescription with 3 repeats on it - get the idea...............

Can you not explain that you're going to australia and need extra prescribed?

Took the words out of my mouth.

I went travelling (from UK) a few years back. Normally had to get my prescriptions every three months but I said I was travelling and they gave me 6 months, couldn't get 12 months though.

Right, thank you. No need to be like that though. Just I'm used to phoning up the gp's surgery to ask for more as they dispense it. So all this time I could've just taken the slip from the previous prescription to any pharmacy? My god I've lived a sheltered life.

No i mean actually go to the doctors again so they can allow for a longer/more prescription. The pharmacist might not do it for you but the doctor should be able to. i mean the doctors in the UK, to possibly get enough pills to last your journey in aus, which would save you hassle of finding one in aus.

Right, thank you. No need to be like that though. Just I'm used to phoning up the gp's surgery to ask for more as they dispense it. So all this time I could've just taken the slip from the previous prescription to any pharmacy? My god I've lived a sheltered life.

No - just because it works that way in Australia it doesnt mean thats what you do in the UK.

I'd ask your UK doctor for a supply to last you for the duration because you can't be sure that an Aussie GP wii prescribe the same pills or, indeed any pills at all. You will have to pay for them if they do prescribe and usually you get a script with 5 repeats or ongoing meds then you trek off to a pharmacy every month and pay up.

I think that is the case though AJ. I always thought you had to go and either get the paper prescription from the pharmacy at the gp's to take to another pharmacy or the prescription direct from the pharmacy at the gp's by re-ordering a few days ahead. What an idiot. It would explain the re-order form in with the prescription. But no the paper prescription is different as a few times they've been out of stock and I've had to get it then go to another pharmacy. I don't know, the jury's out on that one.

But your way would be a more logical way definitely, because you could be the other side of the country and need a prescription. Going back to the gp's to get a piece of paper defeats the object! Anyway...

The pharmacist was reluctant to let me have 3 months because I've only got 2 more issues on the re-order form. If you guys have got 6 months out of them, I will try and do that. I wasn't convinced by what the pharmacist was saying so I shall make an appointment with the doc and see what he can do.

Sorry for the confusion! Thanks!

You still have to nominate somewhere for them to send it electronically?!?! So you're in Cornwall on holiday, need a prescription but forgot to trek to the docs to pick up a piece if paper! You can't just walk into a pharmacy and say can I have my prescription please? Because you haven't got a piece of paper! In 2013! Oh and yes I nominated the pharmacy near my house so I didn't have to pick up my piece of paper so you obviously can't help me. That's a networked system?!?! This country is run by retards, I'm off.

But I suppose you would've got your prescription from the pharmacy near your house. Say you forgot, didn't have time because you were packing. The Electronic Prescription Service saves the day! No, The EPS saves approximately 2 trees a year and you're in Cornwall with no prescription. Absolute bollocks.

I would get your medication in the UK and carry it with a doctors letter

When our doc here issues a script its normally with 3 repeats so lasts about 4 months but it depends what medication you take as some they will only give you a one off

Our chemist wont give us 4 months worth in one hit unless we are going overseas and our Doc puts that on a letter

Chemists her watch out for customers who Doctor shop as you can go to any Doctor you choose to see

Our Doc does not do repeat scripts from a phone call either we make a prescription appointment

As for generic brands I disagree that they are the same as hubby got a cheaper anti-inflammatory and it di not work

Thanks guys!

Will the doc give me a 12 month prescription like they do here, or more likely to be 3 or 6? Plus do I get the prescription before my NHS prescription runs out or wait until I'm running low to do this? I'd rather get my head round it. If I go sooner rather than later will the paper prescription be valid for a while until I collect? Also will I have to go to and get a paper prescription every time I run low like here or is the one valid for the duration of the prescription, I'm in the system or however they do it?

Is health engine the place to look for docs?

Most prescriptions are allowed 5 repeats after the origional medication, however, some medciations may have restrictions on the number of repeats e.g. 3 to ensure that they are reviewed by a Dr. Depending on if your meds fall under PBS (makes them cheaper), will depend on how much you pay. I had to pay $40 for a steroid spray as it wasn't PBS listed.

As Mrs. K said, if it's an existing consdition take a letter from your GP.

Archived