Is Aus$80K/year enough to live on?? Seriously?

rodney

This a big issue for me....I don't mind x amount of $ for a meal but quite often find the food below average and a place I would not visit again. The price doesn't reflect the quality. Is this oz nationwide or just Perth I really don't know.

I too find scabs a little run down....typical backpackers place/young crowd.

Very below par indeed. Something I don't mind banging on about nor conveying to the place concerned. Likewise if the meal was above expectation I find it only right to give praise. Sadly in Perth this is on too few occasions,but did so in Albany recently.

I haven't been East for four years so am not in a position to say the latest with regards to food,but when last in Melbourne the quality was better,coffee a lot better and prices while not cheap,less than Perth.

Scabs issues are far deeper than backpackers,plenty of then down Cott as well and that beach is fine,there have been social issues of long standing at Scabs long before it became a tourist beach with the building of Bondý's Hotel by the beach. Some of those issues continue in a different guise........

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say no.

If you were from Oz and had lived here, bought a house when it was cheaper and already have built everything up then yes it would be easy.

As a new entrant you will find life hard as I am at the moment. Things calm after a while, you adjust to a lower standard or disposable income and do cheaper things or dont go out as much etc.. You go to the beach.

You can live in Perth cheapish or at least reasonably but you have to live quite far out of the city and then it becomes a question of what did you move for s further out services and people become less and less. Thats when i could imagine the boardham kicks in though.

I dont intend on staying for ever so buying a house may not be something i would have to endure here in Perth so I can rent and live closer in to other humans. If this was a last chance or a yearning to change the whole of my life as many do from the UK then I would obviously want to buy. Thats when it becomes unaffordable closer in

I would have quite happily gone to Plakas on the beach for a kebab but my wife is on a diet as usual. Me and the kids used to love it there and it used to be a regular Saturday morning thing when my eldest was training down at Scarbs. Their Kebabs are great imo, lowbrow type of place but we like it and the atmosphere there.

The sea can be dangerous for non or poor swimmers, very true, that's another good reason for going there for me. I love the surf and can have some fun there. There might be a police presence at night but this was lunchtime on a glorious day, with heaps of people around having a good time. The massive car parks were packed, as was the beach itself (admittedly after the shark scare again) so Scarbs must have something going for it.

Does attract the younger crowd still, Oh to be 20 again.:cool:

I agree nothing wrong with a Kebab. Quite like my local Cosmos Kebab joint here in Leedy.We used to enjoy the pub by the beach there which has sadly closed. The meals for lunch were a good deal with a beer inclusive..but sadly now closed. Hence the reason why we ended up in the joint up the road.......which I will never return be assured.

Besides the sea being dangerous,you may recall the young Irishman drowning in the busy part last summer,the howling winds that blow in from the East often as early as 11 am make the beach rather unpleasant for walking on.

There is shade there so that is a redeeming feature but wouldn't call it a particularly good beach,although on the evenings when the winds are not blowing,an interesting kleidoscope of folk from around the world certainly add colour along with the setting sun .........

I would say no.

If you were from Oz and had lived here, bought a house when it was cheaper and already have built everything up then yes it would be easy.

As a new entrant you will find life hard as I am at the moment. Things calm after a while, you adjust to a lower standard or disposable income and do cheaper things or dont go out as much etc.. You go to the beach.

You can live in Perth cheapish or at least reasonably but you have to live quite far out of the city and then it becomes a question of what did you move for s further out services and people become less and less. Thats when i could imagine the boardham kicks in though.

I dont intend on staying for ever so buying a house may not be something i would have to endure here in Perth so I can rent and live closer in to other humans. If this was a last chance or a yearning to change the whole of my life as many do from the UK then I would obviously want to buy. Thats when it becomes unaffordable closer in

Besides the issue of affordability,which is a rather strong reason,why folks would want to come to the world's most isolated city..only to live in its most isolated suburbs,that would be a pretty soul destroying exercise in my book......

Very below par indeed. Something I don't mind banging on about nor conveying to the place concerned. Likewise if the meal was above expectation I find it only right to give praise. Sadly in Perth this is on too few occasions,but did so in Albany recently.

I haven't been East for four years so am not in a position to say the latest with regards to food,but when last in Melbourne the quality was better,coffee a lot better and prices while not cheap,less than Perth.

Scabs issues are far deeper than backpackers,plenty of then down Cott as well and that beach is fine,there have been social issues of long standing at Scabs long before it became a tourist beach with the building of Bondý's Hotel by the beach. Some of those issues continue in a different guise........

Scarborough beach and the sea and surf there is way more fun than Cottesloe, cotts more for your younger crowd hanging around posing. Couldn't afford the Indiana Tea rooms there, that's for sure. Only time I've been was when work was paying and it was OK. I think you are paying for the view and location.

Plenty of people take visitors there though.

Over in Townsville the rest of the week and it has one of my favourite restaurants, Michels. Funny that a little place like Townsville has some of the best restaurants I've been to in Oz.

Scarborough beach and the sea and surf there is way more fun than Cottesloe, cotts more for your younger crowd hanging around posing. Couldn't afford the Indiana Tea rooms there, that's for sure. Only time I've been was when work was paying and it was OK. I think you are paying for the view and location.

Plenty of people take visitors there though.

Over in Townsville the rest of the week and it has one of my favourite restaurants, Michels. Funny that a little place like Townsville has some of the best restaurants I've been to in Oz.

I certainly agree about the prices with the resturants between Cott and East Cott...On the occasions we have overseas guests we usually have a breakfast at Indiana Tea Rooms..and will no longer frequent the two further up with sea views...It's ok ...but where isn't a rip off. Paid an outragious price at Hillaries a few weeks back.

A lot of times at Scabs though it's barely surf more of the dumper variety..but all to their own.

Good to get views on the Townsville scene. I can't comment as it was 97 when last in that city.I've heard it has improved since then.

could it not be the case tho that the avg salary is a false figure in some ways as maybe there are less low paid workers in AUS? My mum works in a Bank as a Loans approver type person in aus not sure of the job title and she only gets 45,000 I think so not all jobs have super high salary... I would expect Mum to be on the UK average if she was doing that job here.

Actually the "Median" full time salary in Aus is around AU$55,000. This is where 50% of full time employees earn more, and 50% of full time employees earn less, so $55K is actually what most of us are thinking when we think average.

The word "Average" is misleading as those CEO jumbo salary and other high pay workers push up the "Average" dollar figure to $70K.

Keep in mind this is probably true of any country where "Average Salary" is quoted, however some countries have better wealth distribution than others so not always directly comparable.

Actually the "Median" full time salary in Aus is around AU$55,000. This is where 50% of full time employees earn more, and 50% of full time employees earn less, so $55K is actually what most of us are thinking when we think average.

The word "Average" is misleading as those CEO jumbo salary and other high pay workers push up the "Average" dollar figure to $70K.

Keep in mind this is probably true of any country where "Average Salary" is quoted, however some countries have better wealth distribution than others so not always directly comparable.

I wrote that yesterday too see below:

According to the ABS as of May 2012 total average earners per annum is more like $56k. Making $80k you would be fine in Adelaide, don't forget that rental deposits are ludicrous they want 4-6 weeks bond, then in many instances 2 weeks paid in advance and then the two weeks rent ergo thats about 8-10 weeks thats a significant chunk if you are paying $600 a week - fortunately Adelaide rentals are a lot less.

I would use an online income tax calculator to estimate taxes and then you'll have your net income here is a link I use for us....http://www.paycalculator.com.au/

I plugged in $80k this is what I got your taxes are about $19k and net $61k net of taxes - hope it helps the planning. You can never have too much cash here its bloody expensive.

Actually only 60% of Australians have continuing full time work 40% are temp/casual that's the alarming statistic.

I wrote that yesterday too see below:

According to the ABS as of May 2012 total average earners per annum is more like $56k. Making $80k you would be fine in Adelaide, don't forget that rental deposits are ludicrous they want 4-6 weeks bond, then in many instances 2 weeks paid in advance and then the two weeks rent ergo thats about 8-10 weeks thats a significant chunk if you are paying $600 a week - fortunately Adelaide rentals are a lot less.

I would use an online income tax calculator to estimate taxes and then you'll have your net income here is a link I use for us....http://www.paycalculator.com.au/

I plugged in $80k this is what I got your taxes are about $19k and net $61k net of taxes - hope it helps the planning. You can never have too much cash here its bloody expensive.

Actually only 60% of Australians have continuing full time work 40% are temp/casual that's the alarming statistic.

Cough actually I pointed out the median Salary here maybe 6 months ago :P

To be clear the "average" salary is around $70K, the "Median" is around 55-56k (all excluding tax). Average and median are two different things. Median is a better indicator and usually what people are referring to when they mistakenly say "average".

Keep in mind also not all part time workers want full time jobs. Personally I think raising families with tow full time parents working is a mistake. My wife for example does casual work and that's all we want. Certainly there is a underemployment issue in Aus however no argument there.

In addition as I have posted before the Aus government is hiding around 500,000 unemployed people in the massive 800,000 people on the disability benefit (a stupid figure for the populations size). This disability figure should be around 300,000 when comparing with similar nations. This is allowed to happen as it makes the unemployment rate look up to 3% better than it should be. The NZ government got busted in the mainstream media for this trick going back about 6 years and clamped down on the practice. For some reason the mainstream media here have run a few timid stories and all the politicians seem content not to seriously tackle the issue. Its like a dirty little secret Aus doesn't want the rest of the world to know.

Fully agree, seafood is pretty expensive here despite it being a country that is surrounded by sea. I find meat is allot cheaper here, especially if you go to the wholesale meat markets. Fruit and veggie prices have increased allot, but is a lot fresher than what is in the supermarkets in the UK. This has prompted us to grow some ourselves. Power bills are just going through the roof as are council rates. You need to shop around for groceries to save, going to the big guys like Woolies & Coles can be expensive. We buy our veggies that we don't grow, from the local markets at weekends, much cheaper than the supermarkets. Aldi's is also good value, but they don't stock everything. The one good thing about living in Oz is that you don't spend a fortune on heating bills as in the UK, even for places like Melbourne where winters are only for a short time, unlike the UK. Cars are allot more expensive than in the UK. As for the houses here, you get more for your money as in size and more innovative designs but is becoming out of reach for many, especially for those trying to get into the property market.

One of the problem with living in Oz is that after a few years of being here and seeing most of the country ( that is if you can afford to) you may find it very boring and isolated from the rest of the world. As for the UK, despite it's awful weather and present woes, you have Europe on your doorstep and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to visit as it would if you wanted to from here. I think Oz is a great place to bring kiddies up with the outdoor life, but once they reach adulthood, you may find they can't wait to leave to see the rest of the world as it has been in our case. Is $80K/ a year enough to live on? I would say it is doable if you are not a spendrift and don't have a huge mortgage.

The way i am looking at it is, in the UK the point where it is deemed unnecessary to top an income up with tax credit credits with 4 children is around £40,000, beyond £60,000 you don't even get child benefit.

In Australia with our 4 children we could earn $150,000 and still be in receipt of housing benefit, family assist and CB. Which says to me they do not expect you to be able to manage independently on less.

Archived