Is Aus$80K/year enough to live on?? Seriously?

rodney

Petrol, meat, seafood,TVs , electricity bills,power tools and hand tools,selected clothing, some insurances all cheaper here. Other things around the same price ,some things a little more expensive. Your not in the uk anymore. Your in a new country. Comparing prices should be quickly forgotten. Exchange rate means nothing. Remember when it used to be 2.6. Different story then I bet .

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everything's a rip off and you know it!! 6 pack of Kronenberg in the UK £5 of the Queens pounds, I dread to think how much it would cost here! Shampoo in Aldi £1.30, in Spain 85 cent euro, Australia $4,20!! even the Krauts are fleecing Australians, except Aussies dont know any different. American corporations are the worst , yes i agree K-mart is cheap for many clothing items, but most of it is crap from you know where!!

Everything's a rip off and you know it!! 6 pack of Kronenberg in the UK £5 of the Queens pounds, I dread to think how much it would cost here! Shampoo in Aldi £1.30, in Spain 85 cent euro, Australia $4,20!! even the Krauts are fleecing Australians, except Aussies dont know any different. American corporations are the worst , yes i agree K-mart is cheap for many clothing items, but most of it is crap from you know where!!

The price of beer is all you really have in your defence. Life doesnt revolve round beer though. I would say house prices and rent as well. Still not 3-4 times more expensive.

The price of beer is all you really have in your defence. Life doesnt revolve round beer though. I would say house prices and rent as well. Still not 3-4 times more expensive.

Maybe 2-3 for sure some things are deffo more 4 time more expensive, a dollar buys you jack s**t maybe some crap slurpie outta Hungry Jacks and thats about it!

I worked with a guy in Mackay, the mug thought he got a great deal on a Milwalkaue drill for $750 down from $1100 , I showed him the same drill set in the US for $199 , he nearly puked! The free trade agreement with the US would mean that he would have paid no import tax on it! Australia wake up!!! your being robbed!!!

Seafood? you would expect to be cheap as its plentiful, TVs who needs one there is nuffin but s***e on it anyways, Insurance???? why do i need funeral insurance!! as i will be dead, they try to sell you everyfink over here!! at least if i dont buy a TV I wont have to listen to all the nonsense! LOL!!

How many more times more expensive than UK is really not important. More the case being Australia is a darn expensive country and many folk living and working here are in accord with that. Why some try and paint another picture you best ask their agenda. Make no mistakes about the expense. Far better pre warned.

It is far more than the overpriced beer as well. The killer blow is likely to be housing. Wildly inflated and here in Perth it does appear that the reverses are about to turn on its head and prices may well pass the 2010 high.....A bubble if ever there was one ready to burst but no doubt folk will rusg into investment real estate,now interest rates are easing,in the hoipe of making massive gains. All bound to end in tears I'm afraid,but no limit to greed ......Not to mention rents....

Do your homework wanna be newbies it may work depending on your circumstances but don't let anyone tell you it's anywhere near being cheap.....if I was in a comfortable position in another country I think I'd be sitting tight. If not and nothing too much to loose..give it a shot by all means...

How many more times more expensive than UK is really not important. More the case being Australia is a darn expensive country and many folk living and working here are in accord with that. Why some try and paint another picture you best ask their agenda. Make no mistakes about the expense. Far better pre warned.

It is far more than the overpriced beer as well. The killer blow is likely to be housing. Wildly inflated and here in Perth it does appear that the reverses are about to turn on its head and prices may well pass the 2010 high.....A bubble if ever there was one ready to burst but no doubt folk will rusg into investment real estate,now interest rates are easing,in the hoipe of making massive gains. All bound to end in tears I'm afraid,but no limit to greed ......Not to mention rents....

Do your homework wanna be newbies it may work depending on your circumstances but don't let anyone tell you it's anywhere near being cheap.....if I was in a comfortable position in another country I think I'd be sitting tight. If not and nothing too much to loose..give it a shot by all means...

Hear hear :) so true :)

The big problems with cost comparisons between the UK and Aust is that in Aust - everywhere housing costs about the same, whereas in the UK, there is a huge difference between housing in the north and the south. You really can't compare the cost of living between Oz and the UK because you can't compare the cost of living WTHIN the UK. £50,000 wage in Aberdeen or Cardifff is not the same as £50,000 in London.

The big problems with cost comparisons between the UK and Aust is that in Aust - everywhere housing costs about the same, whereas in the UK, there is a huge difference between housing in the north and the south. You really can't compare the cost of living between Oz and the UK because you can't compare the cost of living WTHIN the UK. £50,000 wage in Aberdeen or Cardifff is not the same as £50,000 in London.

Thats true but i lived in London and Melbourne and Oz in general seems way more expensive!

I would say yes it is, depending on where you are planning on moving to, although you won't be rolling in it by any means. On $80k with only one of you earning you will be entitled to family tax benefit A and B which should give you an extra $350ish a fortnight. Here in Adelaide you can rent a pretty nice house in some nice areas for $350 a week, and to be honest that is going to be your main cost. Rent is more expensive in some of the other cities though so you would want to consider how much rent would be if you were planning to live somewhere like Sydney or Perth.

When we first arrived my OH was earning about $85k, which, along with our family benefit, was more than enough to pay our $420 a week rent, plus $360ish a month mortgage on a block of land, all our bills, about $300 a week on groceries, run one car, pay school fees, out some in savings and still have enough left over for trips out. After a few months my OH quit his job and I got a job earning just $54500 a year. Our family tax benefits barely changed because we were no longer eligable for one of them because we would both have earned over the limit in the year. I did a new budget and worked out that we could still afford to pay all our bills and essentials, although there was less spare cash for extras.

Take from this what you want. Personally I don't know what some people on here spend all there money on. We are now both earning and so get no family benefit. I've done a new budget that doesn't take in to account any childcare rebate and even after paying all the bills and having a generous allowance for living we can still afford to put $1000 a fortnight in to savings. $80k on a PR visa should be able to give you a comfortable lifestyle here.

Thats true but i lived in London and Melbourne and Oz in general seems way more expensive!

True. Take London out of the equation and I could have bought a bigger,better built house in St Albans,close to train and centre for a very similar price to Perth house...with probably a little change over.....and ST Albans isn't cheap.....and very quick easy access to London......

I would say yes it is, depending on where you are planning on moving to, although you won't be rolling in it by any means. On $80k with only one of you earning you will be entitled to family tax benefit A and B which should give you an extra $350ish a fortnight. Here in Adelaide you can rent a pretty nice house in some nice areas for $350 a week, and to be honest that is going to be your main cost. Rent is more expensive in some of the other cities though so you would want to consider how much rent would be if you were planning to live somewhere like Sydney or Perth.

When we first arrived my OH was earning about $85k, which, along with our family benefit, was more than enough to pay our $420 a week rent, plus $360ish a month mortgage on a block of land, all our bills, about $300 a week on groceries, run one car, pay school fees, out some in savings and still have enough left over for trips out. After a few months my OH quit his job and I got a job earning just $54500 a year. Our family tax benefits barely changed because we were no longer eligable for one of them because we would both have earned over the limit in the year. I did a new budget and worked out that we could still afford to pay all our bills and essentials, although there was less spare cash for extras.

Take from this what you want. Personally I don't know what some people on here spend all there money on. We are now both earning and so get no family benefit. I've done a new budget that doesn't take in to account any childcare rebate and even after paying all the bills and having a generous allowance for living we can still afford to put $1000 a fortnight in to savings. $80k on a PR visa should be able to give you a comfortable lifestyle here.

A husband and 3 kids on 80k , they will be eating beans and toast!!!

Threads like this always make me wonder what I'm doing wrong. My hubby earns just under 80K - rental at 470 a week (for a shoddy house, but cheap for close to the city in Brisbane) takes about 50% of his take home salary. Food for four, the cost of school and Uni, healthcare, clothing etc and running 2 cars (a luxury I admit) costs all of his take home plus approx 1K a month. We don't go on holiday, we rarely eat out, go out or have takeaways, we shop at Aldi and local markets. Most clothes are sourced from UK.

I work which is how we keep our head above water, but IMHO a single person coming to Aus wouldn't be that flush on 80K, but could house share. I don't see how 80K for a family of four would offer any quality of life. If you have enough $ to buy a house outright, or have a very small mortgage, that is a different story.

The big problems with cost comparisons between the UK and Aust is that in Aust - everywhere housing costs about the same,

It certainly does not. The average house price in the capital cities varies from (approx) $325,000 in Hobart to $650,000 in Sydney.

And if you look at regional centres and country areas there is even greater variation.

Threads like this always make me wonder what I'm doing wrong. My hubby earns just under 80K - rental at 470 a week (for a shoddy house, but cheap for close to the city in Brisbane) takes about 50% of his take home salary. Food for four, the cost of school and Uni, healthcare, clothing etc and running 2 cars (a luxury I admit) costs all of his take home plus approx 1K a month. We don't go on holiday, we rarely eat out, go out or have takeaways, we shop at Aldi and local markets. Most clothes are sourced from UK.

I work which is how we keep our head above water, but IMHO a single person coming to Aus wouldn't be that flush on 80K, but could house share. I don't see how 80K for a family of four would offer any quality of life. If you have enough $ to buy a house outright, or have a very small mortgage, that is a different story.

I rest my case, thank you Chortlepuss I earn 55k and do ok , rent is 760 a month,plus a loan for an old car of 520 a month, food, bills etc I save some but its no flashy life! 80k for 5 people , that will be tough! as you stated if your flush coming out here then good and well if not!! then god help you!

The big problems with cost comparisons between the UK and Aust is that in Aust - everywhere housing costs about the same,

It certainly does not. The average house price in the capital cities varies from (approx) $325,000 in Hobart to $650,000 in Sydney.

And if you look at regional centres and country areas there is even greater variation.

and look at what you earn???? cents in regional areas, dollars in citys, alas its all the same you earn it you spend it!! no matter where you live!

Re electricity bills, we used to pay around 20 quid a month. Now for the same usage and we are very conscious of not having lights and appliances on that we dont need, we are paying 40 to 45 a month. Flipping ridiculous if you ask me. And the heat our 3 bed detached house with the temp on 16 to 18 max, cost us 85 quid last month!!! Wtf??

to the OP, like others have said, work out what you spend your money on now and then compare to what it would cost in Oz. there are lots of resources out there to do so and its so much more relevant to you than asking for general opinions on here, its all relevant to them but may jot be to you. Eg, price of a pint and smokes is not relevant to me at all, but price of a family day out is. And lets face it there are lots of free days out in oz from what i have researched!

good luck!

Archived