Child minding in rentals

Georgiajoe

Hi guys

ive seen on a Facebook post that if your renting in Perth , you cannot use that property for child minding.

my wife is a registered uk child minder and was going to get accredited in Perth.

does anyone know if this is true.

they stated that a property used for child care ad to ave a 3 metre sand pit and other things .

thank you or any help

ian

I don't know the specifics but I wonder if your address/property has to be registered as a business address (or something), which might change the terms of the rental agreements, open to other inspections etc. I don't know this for fact ... just questions that entered my head

I have no idea, but it wouldn't suprise me. Rentals don't have the same maintainance laws here, although you would imagine they would do checks often?

Funnily enough I have never actually heard anyone here say they use a child minder. I had assumed it was something which just didn't exist here.

I have no idea, but it wouldn't suprise me. Rentals don't have the same maintainance laws here, although you would imagine they would do checks often?

Funnily enough I have never actually heard anyone here say they use a child minder. I had assumed it was something which just didn't exist here.

Childminders are known as family day-carers here and there is a very large network that goes across each state and territory.They are extremely popular as many people prefer them to day care centres. The family day-carer normally has a maximum of five children.

I have known people to do it from a rental, but you need permission from the owner through the property agent etc. Each house is checked to make sure it conforms to safety standards.

The problem may be with the regulations regarding things like safety glass etc and you'll also need public liability insurance. The family day care regulations 2006 covers all that you need to do to comply http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/wa/consol_reg/ccsdcr2006386/ such as adequate furniture to meet physical and developmental needs of children attending, animals on the premisies, plants, handles having to be 1300mm - 1500mm from the floor, Shaded area for outdoor play (may not be in your rental), and that you need to have a programme of activities developmentally appropriate (plus lots more things).

My concern for you would be that not only will you be looking for a rental, but one that meets all the standards in the regulations, and that once you declare you want to run a business from it - they may not let you or charge you more as it won't be purely residentail.

As far as I know there's no legislation to stop it providing it meets the same safety criteria as normal residential places, the reason for it not being able to be used might be insurance; I know that my landlords' insurance specifically forbids a rental being used as a place of business so even with the best will in the world, I cannot allow a tenant to run daycare from home as it invalidates my insurance.

Archived