Citizenship

LojaChica

So today I receive my letter inviting me to attend a Citizenship "Appointment Ceremony"

I quote

"Due to waiting periods for Council Ceremonies I am inviting you to attend a simple Ceremony where there will be NO refreshments OR speeches OR gifts at our Regional Office"

Disappointed.com!!!!

GRATEFUL to finally have a date BUT am I wrong to feel somewhat "short changed" in all this?

I Was truly looking forward to all the "pomp and ceremony" etc etc

So today I receive my letter inviting me to attend a Citizenship "Appointment Ceremony"

I quote

"Due to waiting periods for Council Ceremonies I am inviting you to attend a simple Ceremony where there will be NO refreshments OR speeches OR gifts at our Regional Office"

Disappointed.com!!!!

GRATEFUL to finally have a date BUT am I wrong to feel somewhat "short changed" in all this?

Sounds much better to me. You could always make something special of the day yourself, nice lunch, dinner etc. Or can you wait for a full on ceremony?

Sounds much better to me. You could always make something special of the day yourself, nice lunch, dinner etc. Or can you wait for a full on ceremony?

Yes I know.......................I was just venting because I was a tad disappointed!

I "could" wait I suppose for a full one BUT I'm happy to take what I've been given and celebrate in our own way :)

Thanks for your reply

Ours was quite nice, the mayor did our ceremony, about 7 groups of 10, you can choose to do the oath 'with god' or not (6/7 chose to do the oath by saying 'with god'. Our shire didn't lay on anything big, just some light refreshments, but it was a lovely evening and we were quite proud to become citizens and get our certificates. Just to get you in the mood (sorry don't know how to make the photo smaller).

4819_92035539366_5816961_n.jpg

Edited by ali

Guest Guest26012

I quote

Disappointed.com!!!!

Congrats! You will still feel great pride on the day I'm sure! Put the champers in the fridge lol!

I did a little celebration with my children - they were already Aussie citizens by birth, so it was a really nice feeling to be able join them :) They realise now that Mummy has a different accent to them, so now I get made fun of.We were traveling along in the car one day when my oldest son just suddenly burst into fits of giggles because of the way I had pronounced something ( cheeky little boys). I just remind them that they are are half British too!

That would have done me fine, don't like a big fuss about anything really, it's the piece of paper that matters. We had a big ceremony in a park close by. The mayor came and there were loads of new Australians there. Had to get dressed up a bit (wife made me) and we got a couple of drinks and a free tree. Which is now quite big in our garden.

Guest GeorgeD
Guess you're happy now as oppposed to your other thread on Citizenship :wink:

It was someone with a similar, but different username. I won't name and shame...

I'm ambivalent about citizenship to be honest, I'm eligible next September but I'd only be doing it for the passport to avoid issues in coming back to Aus if I decide to live back in the UK for a while. I don't particularly relish speaking an oath of loyalty to another country, as I'm British - I just live here. I have no problem with Australian values, I just prefer not to swear allegiance to it. So I'd prefer no ceremony at all and the passport sent through the post.

I have read responses here which say that you're not asked to 'give up' your allegiance to the UK, but that sounds like a cop-out - as if they'd be happy to swear loyalty to Paraguay, Ukraine and Nepal plus a dozen other countries before breakfast without any problem....