Citizenship

LojaChica

I was just curious but what's wrong with swearing allegiance to Australia especially since they were kind enough to let you live and work here indefinitely?

Well, because I'm British. I'm not aware that Australian natives have to swear allegiance to establish citizenship or get a passport - presumably because they were born here. So Australia seems to acknowledge that one's country of birth does confer certain entitlements which in some ways they appear to be undermining by insisting on 'allegiance' (whatever that means) from residents born overseas. I don't think kindness came into Australia's decision to let me live here, I recall it as based on other factors...

It's just occurred to be that my UK-born wife (who has dual UK/Aus citizenship) also didn't 'swear allegiance' as she became naturalised at a young age via her parents.

To be honest I'd be happy to stick with permanent residency if it genuinely was that, rather than a kind of semi-limbo which would cause visa problems on re-entering Aus if we lived overseas for a few years.

• 2 months later...

Having applied and been approved on February 12
th
2013 for Citizenship. My wife and kids applied on the same date and were approved 3 days later (21/01/213). This could have been due to a change in Minister?

I am also awaiting a ceremony date, which I have been informed possibly April, worst case June. Can anyone that has applied in December 2012 confirm if they have been notified with a date yet (Brisbane Council area)?

Citizenship Application- Australian Citizenship by Conferral - General Eligibility (On-line) 03/12/2012, Application received 03/12/2012, Interview and Test 18/01/2013, Application approved 12/02/2013, Ceremony Date....Waiting

Well, because I'm British. I'm not aware that Australian natives have to swear allegiance to establish citizenship or get a passport - presumably because they were born here. So Australia seems to acknowledge that one's country of birth does confer certain entitlements which in some ways they appear to be undermining by insisting on 'allegiance' (whatever that means) from residents born overseas. I don't think kindness came into Australia's decision to let me live here, I recall it as based on other factors...

It's just occurred to be that my UK-born wife (who has dual UK/Aus citizenship) also didn't 'swear allegiance' as she became naturalised at a young age via her parents.

To be honest I'd be happy to stick with permanent residency if it genuinely was that, rather than a kind of semi-limbo which would cause visa problems on re-entering Aus if we lived overseas for a few years.

You'll find maybe your wife was under 16 at the time?, therefore no "pledge" would have had to be taken(legally). I can only assume that it's the same for people residing in the UK if they wish to become citizens.

When I joined the Armed Forces (UK) I also had to take an oath of allegiance to make it official, even though I was born in the UK. At the end of the day for the pledge it's just words, but it makes it legal and shows that you're genuinely interested in becoming part of the country I suppose.

It's either for you or not, and everyone is entitled to make their own mind up regarding this, some see as a loss of British identity, I personally see this as a great opportunity.

I haven't gone through citizenship yet as not eligible for a little hwile longer. But isn't it that you have to swear to abide by certain standards, like upholding Australian laws, rather than swear "allegiance". I will always consider myself British, British with an Australian passport one day, I see no conflict with swearing to uphold Australian laws and values.

I put the pledge on page 1 that you say at the ceremony. My family chose to say the oath 'with god' and my children also made the oath and held a bible. My friends family were split two wanted to make the oath saying with god and two didn't - the were accommodated but didn't take the oath together. Ours was in groups of 10 who stood at the front of the room facing the audience and making our pledge.