Any body moving to Sydney area in 2013?

Emma83

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Emma,

I am Francisco, and am moving to Sydney to do an MBA on MGSM. However, I plan living on the northern beaches hopefully manly. I have a couple of friends there from my original country living there too. I will be going last week of february / start of march 2013. I am really excited about it and also quite nervous.... would be great having more familiar people around. Stay in touch!!!

Francisco

Hi Emma, My partner is an Aussie and she twisted my arm to move back to Sydney from Berkshire,Uk last November and I am loving it but always good to meet up with fellow brits over coffee or a beer or two.

Hi Matt. I'm moving over to Sydney in march from Berkshire (although not originally from there). Hopefully I'll get the chance to meet up for a coffee or beer at some point.

Hi just arrived in sydney two days ago. Getting sorted, bank accounts easy to get just went in the branch with passport and account opened in 20 mins. phones ok just picked up pay as you go sim but not able to get contract as we have no perm address yet. medicare sorted for 3 months just filled in a form showed passport and copy of visa conformation this we can also extend for full 4 yrs once we have perm address. so all in all we have done great in first few days just waiting now till monday so we can get the estate agents to show us some flats, we contacted them online at home so hopefully we will be ok.

Looking forward to a great weekend exploring sydney and it night life. :)

I hope everybody loves Sydney as much as I do! Presently having coffee at one of my regular haunts in Surry Hills Cafe Scilliana. I have a friend I meet for a drink each Sunday and our joke is that we will do all one hundred bars in Surry Hills. I may have to include Darlo to meet that target but it is the same post code 2010. Got

Unlimited free wi fi here too

Wonderful weather here this week although it is going to be very hot all over OZ especially SA I think. Yesterday I went for acwalk thru Chippendale to Victoria Park outside Sydney Uni & it was wonderful there in the sun. It is one of those placeson my doorstep that I rarely visit.

My computer is stuffed so using my phone. Come to think of it EVERYTHING is stuffed! My beloved Harmon Kardon CD player. On Xmas Eve my hot water heater self destructed and flooded my flat which looked like scene from Titanic. $2, 000 for new heater and drying of carpet.

BUT it was my best Xmas / New Year ever. The two young Aussie blokes next door helped me out and also supplied copious amounts of grog.

And to top it off Spurs won, Arsenal drew (with my local side Saints) & best of all Chelsea lost!

Hi Sydney Raider,

Just to let you know most estate agents out here have their open times to view property on a sat morning they are there for about 10 - 15 min ,sometimes you will get upwards of 10 couples looking at any properties .

They will ask you to fill a proposal form in take as much info with you ,any work contracts bank statements from uk, you will also need I'd passport ,driving liecence etc. good luck with the search.

Hey everyone

My husband and I are moving to Sydney on Monday! We're currently in Thailand on our honeymoon so flying direct from Bangkok to Sydney. Have booked 4 weeks temp accomodation in Surry Hills but thinking Manly would be a nice area to live. We plan to spend next week exploring different areas and looking at apartments to see what we like- city or beach.

We'd both be interested in meeting new people ASAP so get in touch if you fancy meeting up in next week or so

Emma and Clint

Hi all, I've just got back from a months holiday in sydney and it looks like me and the boyfriend will be moving over there between feb 2013 and April 2013 - I need more time to save some money where as he can move ASAP! He's taking a job in the CBD so it's looking very positive for him. However, when I move out I have no job secured so will be looking for a job in social work in the local hospitals. We are hoping to stay in manly as was soooo lovely when we visited. Cost of living is so expensive though so hence my need to save some extra dollars. It would've fab to keep in touch on this forum to help each other with our move!! Caz x

Oh a touch spooky this thread! As I used to live in manc moved to Townsville initially (didn't work out) now living in dee why! I love it suits me perfectly!!

I got a 2 bed appartment for the price of a 1 bed in manly!! An much more useful shops! A girl only need so many beach towels! T bags an toast much more helpfull ( dee why has a great bakers, fishmongers, grocer and an aldi!!)

Not really tried any of the bars yet.... Don't know many people so would be nice to find a local? Once a few of u arrive?

gail are u here yet? I did it on my own too harder in some ways easier in others!!

I used to live in Sydney. On the north shore, Chatswood is great for shopping. I mean it is Mega shopping there! And the Chatswood RSL is a great place for cheap beer and meals. And the Greengate Tavern/ Hotel on Pacific Highway at Killara is a great watering hole.

Hi guys

Sorry for the late response been a busy couple of weeks and not been on here for a while. Hopefully we will still be heading over April time although not booking flights until our visa’s are through so no definite date yet.

Matt- it would be great to meet up once we get over there if the offer still stand by April. You can show us around ;)

Francisco- we are looking to live in the Northern Beaches also. We both have jobs in Manly but will prob live in a nearby suburb as it seems a bit too expensive to live in Manly itself. Where are you from originally? Keep me posted on your progress and maybe we can meet up when we are both there!

Rachell- Good luck to you and your family. If you decide to head up North give me a shout (once I get there of course haha).

Sydney Raider- Great to see you have arrived and things seem to be easy to get sorted. Good luck with everything and hopefully we’ll be joining you for a beer over there in the not to distant future.

MaryRose- Amazing to see someone loving it so much even when things go wrong. Can’t wait to get there myself :biggrin:

Emma Chee- Congratulations on the wedding and the move to Oz. Hope you got there ok and are enjoying it. We will hopefully be close to Manly so if you keep in touch we would be up for meeting up when we get there. :biggrin:

Crees- Hi, good to see even more peeps heading over this year. Looks like there are a good few of us looking to live in or around Manly so maybe we can arrange a pio meet once we all get though. I hope you find a job soon, we are lucky as we have both been offered jobs at Manly Hospital. I’m sure there must be jobs for social workers around though. Good luck with the saving I feel like I have had no life for months as all my money has been put away for Oz.

Surfy Brit- Hello from a not very sunny Manchester (in fact it was snowing this morning). We are thinking that we may end up in Dee Why due to cost of property in Manly and I like the look of Dee Why from what I have seen online. I know it is still a while until we get there but would be great to hear how things are going for you over there and poss meet once we finally land.

Thanks for the info Perth Boy :biggrin:

Good luck to everyone who is already there and preparing to go. Hopefully it won’t be too long for any of us. If anyone would like to keep in touch via facebook please add me Emma Barr and my profile pic is a kangaroo (I just find it a bit easier to keep up with people on fb). Also if anyone still in the Uk is around Manchester and fancy meeting for a beer before we head over give us a shout.

Take care guys x

Hello everyone

We are moving to Sydney as soon as we've sold our house and have enough cash to move. Hoping it will be September ish but more realistic would be next January.

We've just returned from a three week trip to validate our visas.

Family of 5.

We stayed in Killarney Heights near Forestville/Frenches Forest. Lovely area but we wouldn't live there. Not much going on and no train station.

We got out and about as much as was possible with three children.

We all loved Sydney and can't wait to move over.

Talie

I used to live in Sydney. On the north shore, Chatswood is great for shopping. I mean it is Mega shopping there! And the Chatswood RSL is a great place for cheap beer and meals. And the Greengate Tavern/ Hotel on Pacific Highway at Killara is a great watering hole.

I'm not normally 'down' on particular suburbs of Sydney, but I make an exception for Chatswood. On paper, it should be a top place, one of the premier 'hubs' or mini city centres - like Penrith, Bondi Junction, Blacktown, Campbelltown, Parramatta. I was in Parramatta yesterday where I had a meal in Church St. Chatswood is, in my opinion, Dull Central.

Hello everyone

We are moving to Sydney as soon as we've sold our house and have enough cash to move. Hoping it will be September ish but more realistic would be next January.

We've just returned from a three week trip to validate our visas.

Family of 5.

We stayed in Killarney Heights near Forestville/Frenches Forest. Lovely area but we wouldn't live there. Not much going on and no train station.

We got out and about as much as was possible with three children.

We all loved Sydney and can't wait to move over.

Talie

You get a lot of that in the outer suburbs, it's not just that area, and there are a LOT of outer suburbs. If you want a bit of city buzz then when you do come over prioritise location over space and go much more central.

Hi All

Arrived in Sydney on the 10th. Living currently in one of the suburbs sw of the city about 40 min drive. Took a train into sydney yesterday to finalise my nursing reg. Didn't get chance to see much of the city but what I did see was amazing. It just left me in awe - my train went past the Harbour and I was gaping at the opera house, the bridge. Oh wow!! Haven't started work yet but loving it so far and so much more to see x

Hi All

Arrived in Sydney on the 10th. Living currently in one of the suburbs sw of the city about 40 min drive. Took a train into sydney yesterday to finalise my nursing reg. Didn't get chance to see much of the city but what I did see was amazing. It just left me in awe - my train went past the Harbour and I was gaping at the opera house, the bridge. Oh wow!! Haven't started work yet but loving it so far and so much more to see x

great to see you have arrived! x

I'm not normally 'down' on particular suburbs of Sydney, but I make an exception for Chatswood. On paper, it should be a top place, one of the premier 'hubs' or mini city centres - like Penrith, Bondi Junction, Blacktown, Campbelltown, Parramatta. I was in Parramatta yesterday where I had a meal in Church St. Chatswood is, in my opinion, Dull Central.

Roger that

I work there quite a bit but that's about all it's good for. The shopping malls have ripped the guts out of whatever the suburb might once have been. It ought to have a "town centre" feel to it really, with a good office and shop life during the day and then bars, pubs, restaurants during the evening. It has the first part but the second is totally lacking, despite the presence of a pretty good theatre/concert hall

Hi Everybody,

We are heading down to Sydney in April 2013. Yeah:ssign19: WE are a family of four from North London.

My husband is to be working in Mcquarie Park. So lots to do and sort out in the way of schools.

Look forward to chatting to you.

Roger that

I work there quite a bit but that's about all it's good for. The shopping malls have ripped the guts out of whatever the suburb might once have been. It ought to have a "town centre" feel to it really, with a good office and shop life during the day and then bars, pubs, restaurants during the evening. It has the first part but the second is totally lacking, despite the presence of a pretty good theatre/concert hall

It should be a great place, on the rail line to the city too but I think it has one pub and the RSL. The RSL should be good too, some are, but this one is B.O.R.I.N.G. (And I got turned away after I had had three schooners at the Greengate - that is a good pub by the way!)

I've been going to Parra lately, three times in a week and eaten twice already in the 'restaurant quarter' of Church St? Got a real 'happening' vibe to it, despite the 'hoons' driving up and down playing their crap music. I can get to Parra in 20 mins on the Blue Mts train (from Central) so I might go back there a few times.

Of course it's not the inner city where I live. Last night, I was in, for me, crazy mood, drank too much for a Saturday let alone a Monday, bought big poster/painting of Frank Sinatra in Vinnies and took it to two of my locals - Royal Exhibition and Strawberry Hills to show the staff - three schooners and a ?Butterscotch/Baileys shot the barmaid gave me - she also gave me and Adrian some free food and I reprocated with a box of eclairs from a bakery I've just found in Elizabeth St, conveniently opposite Vinnies. I had two more schooners in the Strawberry then got urge to go up to the Cross which I NEVER do! Ended up having a Big Mac, first for a year at least, and a glass of water in the bar next to Goldfish Bowl, or maybe it IS the Goldfish Bowl? Then I walked to Taylor Square and had a beer in Kinsellas at 1am then walked home via the Strawberry - for an OJ. Funny thing I was walking on my own from Kings X to Surry Hills between midnight and 2am and I felt safe.

It should be a great place, on the rail line to the city too but I think it has one pub and the RSL. The RSL should be good too, some are, but this one is B.O.R.I.N.G. (And I got turned away after I had had three schooners at the Greengate - that is a good pub by the way!)

In fairness I think there are 3 pubs (Orchard, Chelsea, Great Northern) but none of them are anything to write home about. But then I think the Greengate is pretty ordinary as well

I think that in the suburbs you tend to make your social life around your home/friends/BBQ? I don't know. I am spoiled by living in Surry Hills where I have countless pubs/bars/restaurants within easy walking distance but then again, I only go in three of them on a regular basis.

Chelsea? I don't know that one (and I don't want to with that name!!!)

Hey Guys,

We live in Dee Why, we moved over in July- we have a great apartment a walk from the beach (which is amazing) and it is alot lot cheaper than other areas we looked- the size and balcony were key for us!

Dee Why has lovely restauratns and bars (Deck, Stella Blu and Dee Why hotel) there is everything you want- Coles,Woolworths, beauty,hairdressers,grocers,butchers etc etc...

I would really recommend it- other areas nearby are also lovely- Narabeen/ Freshwater/Collaroy (stunning beach) they are all quieter so it depends what you like.

The commute into Sydney city centre from Dee Why can be as quick as 20 minutes some mornings/evenings, the longest it has taken me is an hour on a really gridlocked day. There are regular buses to Manly so you can easily catch a ferry.

Any one fancies catching up when they move to Dee Why give me a shout. We are 28 yr old couple from Manchester/Cumbria.

natxx

$3.50 schooners in happy hour Dave, should be right up your street

:wink:

I had a schooner of Millers in Kinsellas last night - strictly speaking 'this morning!' although barman told me they were getting rid of it hence cheap price.

All beers on tap are $5 at the Gaelic Hotel in Devonshire St too.

I am going to the Trinity in a minute, will either eat there or find another pub if I fancy a change - seeing a mate at 7pm. They sometimes have a $5 special. I have not really got into jugs yet and they are often cheaper.

Archived