Any body moving to Sydney area in 2013?

Emma83

Hi Guys

My partner and I just got offered jobs in Manly and are hoping to move over in March/April 2013. I was just wondering who else is heading to Oz in 2013, particularly if anyone is moving to the Sydney area. I thought it might be nice to get to know other people in the same situation and maybe it would mean we all have a friendly face or 2 when we get there.

Would be great to hear from peeps. Anybody already there and willing to share experiences or show some nebies the local pub.. it would be great to hear from you too :)

Emma

x

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Emma,

I'm moving at the end of January. My employer is sorting out some accommodation for the first few weeks, then I'll be looking for a place in the Manly / Dee Why / Northern Beaches area.

I am quite happy to go on a bit of a scouting mission of the pubs in the area and also like the sound of the odd friendly face in a foreign land.

Gail.

Hi Gail

Good to hear from you. We are thinking that will will probably be looking for accommodation in the Dee Why/Curl Curl type area's. As much as I would love to live in Manly it looks a bit too expensive but has really good transport links. Are you moving over on your own or with your family? You must be so excited if your going in January :) That gives you plenty of time to find the best pubs before we get there ;)

Emma

Hi, my wife and I are moving to Sydney on the 2nd Jan !!! 23 days till we fly out, cant wait.

Sorted temporary accomdation out the other day using WIMDU (or something like that), found a nice place for the first 9 days so we can get a rental sorted in the meantime, oh and find the local pub - just hope i can find somewhere that sells Real Ale !!

Emma - I'm moving out on my own, which is both exciting and scary. I was telling someone the other evening I'm moving in January (which I seem to have been saying for months), he replied "next month?". Wow - it's next month, it's come around so quickly. I am getting excited now, I finish work at Christmas then I'll be all set to go.

Sydney Raider - Good luck with your move. I bet you're counting every single day. Let me know if you find any decent Ale, it's one of those things I'm expecting to miss.

Gail.

I'll do my best Gail, i'll make it my personal pilgramage to find a decent watering hole lol

really am looking forward to it, although busy busy busy in the meantime. Not only am i trying to get the house etc organised, but im also doin my personal trainer course with an aussie company so tryin to get all my work done before i get there since im shipping my academic textbooks !

Hi all we should be moving to Sydney round about march/april. Husband just been offered a post at The Royal North Shore hosp. We are a family of 4 (kids aged 5 and 8). Dee Why is meant to be really lovely Emma from what research I have done so far. We are looking at places that are an easy commute from St Leonards and affordable. not necessarily going to get to caught up in the big house thing, would rather have something smaller and be further in so more time as a family. much research to do. Plan to get short term let near st leonards then do mad reccies in all areas around and on train lines. dont think we can get a real feel for an area till we get there. we're really lucky to have family around the st leonards area who are offering to help out with move. Sydney raider will be keeping a close eye on your posts as mrrobertsclan is very keen on his ale too! congrats you all for getting this far and best of luck with all that comes now. Am sure we will be in touch a fair bit over the next few weeks/months. x

When i was in Brisbane a few years back, the bar on the south bank had a great selection of ales on tap, rather than likes of VB & Tooheys (which are still more drinkable than what we have on tap here), if i cant find somewhere im gonna start my own bar off and import cumbrian ales lol

Hi Everyone

Great to see so many of us heading over. Good look to everyone, especially Gail and Sydney Raider you must be so excited (and nervous) it was originally my intention to move in January but it did not work that way with by the time we had sorted nursing registration and jobs. So what has made people take the plunge and move to Oz? I personally have been talking about it since going to Oz on a work holiday visa 6 years ago and finally starting putting the plan in to action in may this year. I can't wait to get over there now but its nice to know somebody will have already found the best pubs for us :). It would be great if people could post their finding of the different suburbs etc and good temp accommodation once they are over there too. Give the rest of some hints before we step of the plane. If there is anyone around the Manchester area it might be nice to arrange drinks before we head out possibly, as I said friendly faces when we get there and all :)

Good luck everyone

Lots of exciting times to come.

Emma

Emma, we're between St.Helens and Blackpool, but time is short otherwie would have met for drinks definatly, have to wait till we get there i guess.

If you find the pub we will be there. Just let us know the time and place once we are all over there. I can't wait to get to Oz now. Talking to other people on here just make me want to get there even quicker :D... now I just need to tackle the mountain of paper work I have been sent since getting my job offer last week :/

Robertsclan has your hubby received all the paperwork yet? They seem to want 3 different police checks AND a signed declaration of no criminal records that we have to get witnessed by a magistrate or notary is it the same for your hubby offer?

Emma

Shes got a job at Calvery Healthcare on the rehabilitation ward there. Were looking at houses in Kogarah and surrounding subburbs like Rockdale, but will obviously go as far as likes of Carlton etc.

Who wants to go to Manly from Kogarah? apart from when the dragons play the sea eagles, thats only time i'll go, although the beach is gorgeous there.

Me! I should be getting out there late February/early March. Unfortunately I'm going to be working way out in western Sydney - which, don't get me wrong I'm very excited about, I'm just a little worried I'll be away from many of the social opportunities that the inner city would provide :unsure:

Hi,

I'll land there by the end of january...I ll have a short accomodation in Ashfield...till I find the right one maybe arround Parramatta. However, my biggest concern is the job..i didnt secure one till now..

Wish good luck for every one heading to there for a new life..

Robertsclan- nerves of steel are needed indeed. Haha. I think I have got most stuff arranged now but some of it is going to take a few weeks to come through and they have said they won't start the visa process until all this paperwork is received. I'm just focusing on the end goal :)

ggavy- Where is it your going to be working? I'm sure you will still have plenty of social opportunities. I'm hoping we might be able to arrange some social get-togethers for the new 'poms-in-oz' once we get there.

malcomza- Good look finding a job. You will be getting there a bit before some of us so any info of area's, good drinking holes will be much appreciated :)

Robertsclan- nerves of steel are needed indeed. Haha. I think I have got most stuff arranged now but some of it is going to take a few weeks to come through and they have said they won't start the visa process until all this paperwork is received. I'm just focusing on the end goal :)

ggavy- Where is it your going to be working? I'm sure you will still have plenty of social opportunities. I'm hoping we might be able to arrange some social get-togethers for the new 'poms-in-oz' once we get there.

malcomza- Good look finding a job. You will be getting there a bit before some of us so any info of area's, good drinking holes will be much appreciated :)

Hi Emma, I'll be working out Richmond/Windsor way, but not sure where I'll be living as of yet. Perhaps close to work or maybe I'll look for somewhere around the Hills region. I'm certainly up for a little pomsinoz meetup so definately keep me in the loop. Good luck with all the prep and moving.

G

Hi Emma, I'll be working out Richmond/Windsor way, but not sure where I'll be living as of yet. Perhaps close to work or maybe I'll look for somewhere around the Hills region. I'm certainly up for a little pomsinoz meetup so definately keep me in the loop. Good luck with all the prep and moving.

G

Wow I just looked the area up on the map and being that close to the Blue Mountains will be amazing. Its so beautiful around there. So whats made you decide to move to Oz? are you traveling on your own? There seem to be a lot of us heading over in the next few months. I can't wait to get there now :)

Emma

Wow I just looked the area up on the map and being that close to the Blue Mountains will be amazing. Its so beautiful around there. So whats made you decide to move to Oz? are you traveling on your own? There seem to be a lot of us heading over in the next few months. I can't wait to get there now :)

Emma

Yeah, the proximity of the Blue mountains (along with the Hawkesbury valley itself) is definately a bonus. I went there about 10 years ago - pretty spectacular. Why am I moving out there? - I think it's the classic case of 'if I don't do it now (am in my early thirties) I never will (and will only regret not giving it a go in later years)'. Plus I've been pretty lucky in that I've secured a job before moving out there so I really have no excuse not to.

I can't wait either but I think with Christmas and all that kind of thing the time should fly by until March.

Sure :)

Hi, my wife and I are moving to Sydney on the 2nd Jan !!! 23 days till we fly out, cant wait.

Sorted temporary accomdation out the other day using WIMDU (or something like that), found a nice place for the first 9 days so we can get a rental sorted in the meantime, oh and find the local pub - just hope i can find somewhere that sells Real Ale !!

There are a number of pubs that either have breweries on site or feature 'guest ales' from micro breweries. Check out Lord Nelson Hotel in The Rocks - refused to serve me a schooner - 'only pints & halves.' Also, I think Macquarie Hotel here in Surry Hills. They have a brewery on site - got a German name.

About 9,650,000 results (0.21 seconds)

Showing results for lord nelson

Search instead for lord nese

[h=2]Search Results[/h]

[h=3]The Lord Nelson Brewery Hotelunknown.gif[/h]www.lordnelsonbrewery.com/Cached - SimilarShareShared on Google+. View the post.

You +1'd this publicly. Undo

The Lord Nelson Brewery Hotel. Established 1841. Home · Accommodation · Bar · Restaurant · Brewery · History · Events · Signup · Press · Contact ...

Score: 21 / 30 - 117 Google reviews - Write a reviewEdit your review

[TABLE=class: ts intrlu]

[TR]

[TD]19 Kent Street Millers Point NSW 2000

(02) 9251 4044[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[h=3]Schwartz Brewery Hotelunknown.gif[/h]www.schwartzbreweryhotel.com/CachedShareShared on Google+. View the post.

Sydney Brewery is a Micro Brewery in the historic Macquarie Hotel (now named Sydney Brewhouse) and has been pumping out quality craft beer for over 6 ...

Google+ page - Write a reviewEdit your review

[TABLE=class: ts intrlu]

[TR]

[TD]40-44 Wentworth Avenue Sydney NSW 2010

(02) 8262 8844[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Coopers has a good name out here and you can get it either on tap or in bottles in many pubs and my local pub (one of them, should say) Trinity Bar probably www.trinity.com.au - I had sausages and mash and peas there last night, sells this guest ale at the moment which is brewed in Newtown just down the road.

[h=3]Young Henry's Newtown Brewery - Young Henry'sunknown.gif[/h]www.younghenrys.com/CachedShareShared on Google+. View the post.

Newtown's very own brewery, focused on delivering unique flavours and reviving old styles.

Hi all we should be moving to Sydney round about march/april. Husband just been offered a post at The Royal North Shore hosp. We are a family of 4 (kids aged 5 and 8). Dee Why is meant to be really lovely Emma from what research I have done so far. We are looking at places that are an easy commute from St Leonards and affordable. not necessarily going to get to caught up in the big house thing, would rather have something smaller and be further in so more time as a family. much research to do. Plan to get short term let near st leonards then do mad reccies in all areas around and on train lines. dont think we can get a real feel for an area till we get there. we're really lucky to have family around the st leonards area who are offering to help out with move. Sydney raider will be keeping a close eye on your posts as mrrobertsclan is very keen on his ale too! congrats you all for getting this far and best of luck with all that comes now. Am sure we will be in touch a fair bit over the next few weeks/months. x

The Royal North Shore Hospital is very close to the station at St Leonards, so depending on how much you can afford, pick a suburb close to a station and your commute should be OK. When I was working at Penrith, 55 kilometres west of me here in Surry Hills, the slow, all stops train, went all the way from Penrith, into the city, and then carried on all the way over the bridge and up to Berowra. Although if you were living in Penrith, it would be much quicker to get the Blue Mts train to Central then change for North Shore line, as that only makes four or five stops from Penrith to Central (where it terminates.) Central is a mini Waterloo, being both terminus for country/intercity trains and a regular station for every line around Sydney. I only mentioned Penrith because I got to know it a bit more when I was working there, and the homes are very reasonable. Of course, with my hatred of commuting, if I had a job at St Leonards, and I could afford it, I'd live as close as I could, Crows Nest, for example.

Archived