Any body moving to Sydney area in 2013?

Emma83

Hey Guys,

We live in Dee Why, we moved over in July- we have a great apartment a walk from the beach (which is amazing) and it is alot lot cheaper than other areas we looked- the size and balcony were key for us!

Dee Why has lovely restauratns and bars (Deck, Stella Blu and Dee Why hotel) there is everything you want- Coles,Woolworths, beauty,hairdressers,grocers,butchers etc etc...

I would really recommend it- other areas nearby are also lovely- Narabeen/ Freshwater/Collaroy (stunning beach) they are all quieter so it depends what you like.

The commute into Sydney city centre from Dee Why can be as quick as 20 minutes some mornings/evenings, the longest it has taken me is an hour on a really gridlocked day. There are regular buses to Manly so you can easily catch a ferry.

Any one fancies catching up when they move to Dee Why give me a shout. We are 28 yr old couple from Manchester/Cumbria.

natxx

Dee Why has got pretty cool down by the seafront hasn't it? Sometimes difficult to park though. I may make a nostalgic trip up to Narrabeen soon.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

Northshorepom, Yep we're going to look further in to the city, for a terrace or apartment. Surry Hills, Newtown, Balmain, Rozelle, Erskineville, that kind of way. I think it's mainly inner west.

We spent a lot of time around Surry Hills at the Library/community centre, Shannon reserve park. The shops and coffee places were fab. We all felt at home there.

Chatswood, wasn't for us, to be fair we only went around the station and the shopping centre. It felt like a place where people worked and shopped but didn't live. Although it would be very convenient.

We all liked Lane Cove, nice shopping centre that had a village feel. Easy commute to Macquarie Park but no train station.

There wasn't anywhere we really disliked, Sydney is a beautiful place.

Talie

Hi

Northshorepom, Yep we're going to look further in to the city, for a terrace or apartment. Surry Hills, Newtown, Balmain, Rozelle, Erskineville, that kind of way. I think it's mainly inner west.

We spent a lot of time around Surry Hills at the Library/community centre, Shannon reserve park. The shops and coffee places were fab. We all felt at home there.

Chatswood, wasn't for us, to be fair we only went around the station and the shopping centre. It felt like a place where people worked and shopped but didn't live. Although it would be very convenient.

We all liked Lane Cove, nice shopping centre that had a village feel. Easy commute to Macquarie Park but no train station.

There wasn't anywhere we really disliked, Sydney is a beautiful place.

Talie

Lane Cove IS like that, yes, I had the same feeling about it although I don't go there very much. I was at another place on the North Shore rail line the other week - Pymble perhaps? I had been to St Ives to see my friend Bill - St Ives is nice too but you NEED a car! Pymble was OK but it's split by the Pacific Highway and I hate having to give way to cars. One of the things I liked about Padstow shopping centre was the way it's built around a square and you can do a complete circuit without crossing a major road.

Yesterday I went to Gymea for the first time in my life and that was interersting too - the shopping street connects two main roads - can't remember the names - President Ave? Kingsway? I don't often go down that way. Gymea will look nice when the streetscape has been revamped.

To be fair to Chatswood, It's got plenty of shops, is on the rail line to the city, and is a major transport hub and night life is probably not that important when you are raising a family. I have just got used to living in the inner city where, although it's nice to have a car, as I do now, you can also live comfortably without one (as I did for the first nine years i lived in Surry Hills.)

I like Lane Cove too, quite a lot. Better value than many places on the north shore and a really nice village atmos, good schools and sports facilities, easy peasy commute by bus or pushbike to pretty much anywhere central. It's too "urban" for the breadknife though, unfortunately (we don't see eye to eye on this - I like inner city life & buzz OR proper country, she's a suburban girl. As we lived in the UK in a city and then in the country, it's her turn here so I have to compromise and live in the 'burbs). Also the pub is rubbish, but then that hardly makes Lane Cove a standout

I think if you want city life T&T then you're looking at exactly the right places. Balmain & Rozelle possibly the best of both worlds in terms of life & family-friendliness, Newtown can be a bit studenty and Surry Hills is a bit "Hoxton" round the edges

Dee Why seafront I agree is really good, loads of facilities in Dee Why as well, I can see why people live there. It's not my favourite beach though (too busy, too windswept, main car park is extortionate) - prefer the quieter, greener ones further north but then they're also an easier reach for me off the end of Mona Vale Rd

I wouldn't be too fair on Chatswood Dave - be bold and stand up to say it's a bit rubbish, no crime in that

:wink:

Hello to everyone who has posted on this thread. We are heading to Sydney in September- flights booked last week (exciting but very scary!). We have 3 children, aged 9, 2 and 3 months. Would love to keep in touch with you all as it's so good to hear other people's plans and experiences and of course to have some familiar faces once we get to Sydney.

Talieandtribe- would love to hear more about your reccie of the northern beaches area as we would like to be around the Frenchs Forest / Belrose area but haven't had the opportunity to look at the areas in person. I spent a year in Sydney 10 years ago staying in Seaforth so know the Northern Beaches to a certain extent but I'm sure a lot has changed since then. We have no jobs to go to as yet so are taking a huge gamble but hopefully it will work out ok.

Thanks and will continue reading this thread with interest.

Maya12

Hi

The Northern suburbs were mainly really nice.

Frenches Forest and Forestville had nice little parks. We mainly used the Coles in Forestville which is on a nice little shopping strip with a good butchers, bottle shop, childrens toy and clothing store, coffee shop etc. Lots of people sitting around having a chat and a coffee. It was nice.

The houses were all in a good state, lots of green, no rubbish, schools looked nice, people were friendly.

Wasn't for us though. We were all bored. No train station and two children who are sick on buses. You would need a car.

We all felt a bit too far out and disconnected on the north side.

Anything you specifically want to know I'll try to help with but we were only there 3 weeks and only took 2 days to completely rule out the area for us.

Talie

Robertsclan

I'm sure you do.

We did lots of rubber necking at apartment balconys and saw kids stuff on quite a lot.

There are plenty of 2/3 bed apartments advertised.

Estate agents didn't bat an eye when I asked about 3 bed apartments for a family...

I don't know what locals opinions would be...

Talie

Thanks for that Tallie. So which areas are you looking at? I've heard the south is nice but can be very quiet. Its very hard trying to narrow it down when you've never visited an area and I very much need to get a feel for a place.

How old are your children and are they boys or girls? My son has very mixed feelings about going so I really want to pick an area that he'll settle in too.

Hi Emma

My husband is on the plane now as I write, the rest of us (me and my 3 children) are booked on flights 1st March. We have a house in Collaroy. Trouble is my middle son (9) has Downs syndrome and 457 visa is delayed because of it. Hopefully it will all work itself out, otherwise my husbands company it going to have a shed load of money to pay out for making a major cock up!!

Fingers crossed.

Seriously though, I've been out there a few times, wow, it's amazing, such a better place, lifestyle, people, weather, everything.

Hope it works out for you.

Anita

Maya, we really loved Surry Hills. It's very close to the city with lots going on. Good parks and a nearly complete outdoor pool. It's not the most family friendly but our children are 13 Liv,10 Sebastian, and 5 Penelope, so not tiny. We live near to Manchester city centre and enjoy the urban life. The only problem is the cost of rentals in the area. The runners up for us were Lane Cove if we got work on the North Shore or Cronulla if it was South/CBD. Public transport is a big factor for us as I don't drive and our eldest likes to be independent. It's really hard to decide without visiting. I'd pick Cronulla over the Hills for access to beaches, train line, and a see breeze/being a little cooler in summer. It's a personal thing though based on very little real knowledge. Liv is very excited about the move, she's confident and positive. Seb loved Sydney but says it's not worth leaving his family for... He wants to live in Surry Hills in a big enough place to have the grandparents over... not going to happen. Penny is too little really but tells anyone who will listen she's going to live in Sydney forever and isn't coming back! Is public transport an issue? Do you want a beach life? Childcare? Schools? Renting or buying? I'd book a week temp in both places, look around the schools then decide. Sydney is a big place so if you can find a job, before committing to an area that would be ideal.

Moving to Sydney in 3 weeks to join my OH who's already out there! He's currently near Camden but I suspect that's too isolated even for him (as beautiful as the dawn views are) so we'll be looking at moving back in. We were looking at the 'Hills' suburbs but I wonder, does anyone have experience of living closer in to Sydney central and commuting (driving) out the other way towards Glendenning? That's where he's working but I suspect central Sydney will be better for work for me.

Maya, we really loved Surry Hills. It's very close to the city with lots going on. Good parks and a nearly complete outdoor pool. It's not the most family friendly but our children are 13 Liv,10 Sebastian, and 5 Penelope, so not tiny. We live near to Manchester city centre and enjoy the urban life. The only problem is the cost of rentals in the area. The runners up for us were Lane Cove if we got work on the North Shore or Cronulla if it was South/CBD. Public transport is a big factor for us as I don't drive and our eldest likes to be independent. It's really hard to decide without visiting. I'd pick Cronulla over the Hills for access to beaches, train line, and a see breeze/being a little cooler in summer. It's a personal thing though based on very little real knowledge. Liv is very excited about the move, she's confident and positive. Seb loved Sydney but says it's not worth leaving his family for... He wants to live in Surry Hills in a big enough place to have the grandparents over... not going to happen. Penny is too little really but tells anyone who will listen she's going to live in Sydney forever and isn't coming back! Is public transport an issue? Do you want a beach life? Childcare? Schools? Renting or buying? I'd book a week temp in both places, look around the schools then decide. Sydney is a big place so if you can find a job, before committing to an area that would be ideal.

Hi Talieandtribe

We are also considering Lane Cove. OH has a job lined up at the Royal North Shore hosp so this would be a great location for us. He also has an aunty there and cousins in Artaman. we are also looking at places along the north shore line up to Hornsby to keep good access to the hospital. Obviously the further out we go the more space but could be isolating. We plan to recce when we get there and decide. Would have loved the northern beaches but think would be tricky for getting to hosp and also quite a bit more expensive. We moved two years ago from urban London to rural Scotland and have learned A LOT about what we need do and don't need.

Maya12 I've heard great things about 'The Shire' and did research on the area but now OH's post is north so we are focusing on northern areas.

We are a family of 4 (kiddles 8 and 5). We are hoping to get there by March/April but more realistically later on in the summer (a house to sell....). We're excited but also somewhat panicked at times by the scary cost of living threads - eek!

Good luck all you folks out there and Emma look forward to hearing how you are doing soon. x

We have been out here just over 2 years now wife works at St George public we live down in sans souci, we chose this area so she could get to work easy bus or car only 10 - 15 min depending on traffic, I work in construction and have worked all over the traffic is a night mare, mornings no worries if you are out befor 5.45am after 6.30 it's getting busy coming home it can take anything from 1 hr up to 3.5 I am working in lindfield at the moment, I see at least 3-5 crashes a week which just adds mayhem to the already contested road network ,chose carefully where you are going to live as getting round sydney is a pain by road, if there is train station nearby you can get around ok.

Hi, thanks very much for the info, it's given us a few more things to think about and areas to consider. We would be looking to be based away from the hustle and bustle of city life but close enough to get the train in on a weekend. I wouldn't want anywhere too remote so the north shore/northern beaches area seems a perfect choice- except when you get down to the cost of houses there. I think if we're looking northern beaches, it could well be a beach shack we can just about affoard! I've seen a few people mention Cronulla so we'll definitely be looking south when we arrive.

Like you say, it would be helpful to find a job first before committing to an area as we really wouldn't want a long commute. However it seems to be quite hard from what I've read for people to secure jobs before emigrating (unless sponsored). Maybe we need to focus more on this first and then build our search areas around potential work.

It's good to hear that your children are open to the move, albeit the concern about leaving family behind. My eldest son, Thomas is 9 and he's got quite mixed views about the move. He's also concerned about leaving family and friends behind but I think he'll adjust really well. We'll have to keep in touch as if we end up in roughly the same area, it would be nice to meet up, especially if we have boys the same age.

Hi Anita

Nice to hear from you. I hope your husband got there safe and is starting to settle in and I hope everything with your visa has or is in the process of being sorted. Please let us know how you get on. Collaroy is one of the area's we have been considering as it seems to offer the costal life but at more affordable prices and is still commutable from Manly. Maybe we'll end up neighbours.

Good luck and keep in touch

Emma x

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Wow! Looks like a lot of us are moving over to Sydney this year?! My girlfriend and I are heading across to Sydney in about 4 weeks, 5 days and 18 hours, not counting honestly! It'd be really cool to hear how everyone is getting on when they get there and even meet up for a cold schooner, just practicing the lingo. We're staying quite central initially, Potts Point, but that's only for the first week or so. Looking at something in the Eastern Suburbs preferably after that but nothing set in stone yet.

Anyway like I say be good to know how you all get on, any tips you could pass our way would be great!

Chris

hey - ive just arrived too. its a great city - im just disappointed that i didnt submit my visa sooner to leave the UK and its impending doom!

looking forward to see what Sydney puts on for chinnese new year - from the set-up so far there should be enough to do to keep us entertained for a day.

Archived