To those returning or have returned to the UK ?

Sapphire

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chris955
Absolutely! When you have no choice even paradise can appear to be purgatory!

Exactly. We all have both passports so theoretically nothing is forever. Having said that if tomorrow I was told I had to hand back my Aussie passport and wouldnt be able to live there permanently again I wouldnt be distraught.

Guest chris955
Agree absolutely. Lots of poor beggars here in Blighty would bite your hand off if you offered them a ticket to Oz. Whether things work out/or not in Australia, you can always go back.

Exactly, without knowing a single fact about life in Australia there is that 'it must be better' idea.

Agree absolutely. Lots of poor beggars here in Blighty would bite your hand off if you offered them a ticket to Oz. Whether things work out/or not in Australia, you can always go back.

And then the

vast majority who have not done their homework would realise same ... Different country and probably return home.

And then the

vast majority who have not done their homework would realise same ... Different country and probably return home.

Think that just about sums it up.

Australia is still part of the Commonwealth but no longer just a colony of the old Empire.

Moving to Australia requires a bit more planning than a fortnight in Benidorm, all inclusive, with the benefit of the rep in the lobby if you have any complaints.... Best of luck... Syd.

Guest chris955
Think that just about sums it up.

Australia is still part of the Commonwealth but no longer just a colony of the old Empire.

Moving to Australia requires a bit more planning than a fortnight in Benidorm, all inclusive, with the benefit of the rep in the lobby if you have any complaints.... Best of luck... Syd.

Huh ?

Huh ?

It's not that long ago when immigration to Australia was dominated by the white Australia policy and heavily favoured Brits. The highest court in Australia was the Privy Council in the House of Lords. This was only changed under Labor in the eighties whereas NZ waited another ten years or so before they followed suit. Aussies used to travel on UK passports, and the longest serving PM Robert Menzies was considered as a successor to Churchill when the Tories were beaten in the fifties. When I first travelled to Oz/NZ as a fifteen year old on cargo ships they were still called "home boats", And we british Merchant Seamen at the time didn't need a passport to enter Australia. The influx of Vietnamese was a huge turning point in how immigration changed and the country quite visually became less British, and took a huge step towards it's own identity. Long may it continue.....end of rant.........Syd.

If we had the advantage of hindsight / time over again we would never have returned to UK. Since coming back we have had temp jobs and some months no work, weather is c..p and mood follows the weather..

But light at the end of the tunnell my o/h has been offered a 457 Labour Agreement so 2013 Oz we're coming back .......... missing u and yr lovely people, weather, beaches, lifestyle, swimming, houses etc etc etc

If we had the advantage of hindsight / time over again we would never have returned to UK. Since coming back we have had temp jobs and some months no work, weather is c..p and mood follows the weather..

But light at the end of the tunnell my o/h has been offered a 457 Labour Agreement so 2013 Oz we're coming back .......... missing u and yr lovely people, weather, beaches, lifestyle, swimming, houses etc etc etc

Hey Skippy I hope it works out for you....

We all make decisions based on the information to hand at the time, but none of us have a crystal ball, so never beat yourself up about "hindsight". I think most of us would have made different decisions at various times if we had owned that magic "crystal ball"! Just go with the cards you are dealt and I wish you the very best of luck.

Guest chris955
Would not advise those in England read the daily mail at the moment blimey.

Most people with a modicum of intelligence wouldnt read it anyway.

zzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzz

I think the Daily Mail tells it how it is to be honest, it's just that some people don't want to see it. Not only my opinion but 4m others share that opinion on a daily basis.

So most Daily Mail readers are unintelligent another label. Gosh these labels keep cropping up.

Since you say most I guess you are one of the intelligent people who read the mail.

From my experience people do not just read one paper, now we have the web we can read a whole lot of papers. The Mail has a half decent web site so of course more people will access it. However whether they agree or disagree with articles is another matter.

I have looked up Articles on the Mail then looked them up on other papers to check and yep as I thought most are saying the same thing but maybe in slightly different ways.

Please can we stop the labels and feelings of superiority for a day

Why did you return if it was so good ?

Why did you return if it was so good ?

Unfortunately my O/H Mum got cancer and as you can imagine it upset the boat and then the homesickness kicked in, but as said previously with hindsight we shouldve ridden it out...........

Its just one of those things that happens............ ping pong poms.... eh what are we like

The grass is always greener on the other side. Have come to the conclusion that if we were in the UK we'd want to be in Oz, and as we're in Oz we want to be in the UK. Some people will never be happy!!! (that's pointed at us not anyone else!!!) ;-):wink:

Archived