Should we lock suitcases - Heathrow to Perth?

smithinoz

I might be wrong, but I think it's if you are going to the USA you shouldn't lock your suitcases unless you use the special padlocks that the USA border control can open. I'm not aware of any reason why you can't lock them going to Australia and we have always done so on holiday over here and when we moved.

Never heard that, but never flown to the USA either.

I wrap my bags in the industrial cling film that they wrap pallets in in warehouses and then sign my name on each side. I used to fairly regularly fly out of Nairobi - AKA Nairobbery - which probably explains my approach to airport security. Never had a drama with it.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Unless they are mega locks that can't be picked, the cheap ones are crap, then I wouldn't bother anyway, we once did it and lost a key, but I opened it with a hair pin.

We never lock our suitcases when travelling. If someone wants to break into them, they will just break the locks anyway. OH sometimes has a strap on his, more for indentification than security though. We don't of course leave anything of any value in them, just clothes, shoes etc.

The best way to deal the zips is using small cable ties, they can be cut off but at least you should be able to identify if someone has tampered with the case (and if so report it before going through customs). If you go on YouTube you can find a few videos of people using a ball pen to open a suitcase zip very easily.Utilise your hand carry allowance to the max with anything particularly valuable and important documents, photos etc. Always assume that your checked bags could be delayed or lost, so have a spare pair of clothes in your hand carry.Oh and don't use expensive looking or branded suitcases, they are an invite for crime.

There's no harm in locking them as you'll have collected them by the time you come through customs in Perth so if they want to have a look - as they often do - you'll be there to unlock it.

My mum put the frighteners into me one year after a high profile case in Australia where marijuana was allegedly planted in someones luggage. So I bowed to her pressure and got that clingwrap type service at Heathrow to wrap up my suitcase to make it tamper-proof. I felt like a right ejit when it was the only shrink wrapped case to come down the shoot at the other end. And, of course, mine was selected by customs for inspection and it all got cut off.

Now I just lock it to try to deter light-fingered baggage handlers.

Guest Guest76386

I always have , and always been recommended too. Never had any problems but its better to be safe than sorry. Baggage handlers have been known to put stuff in peoples unlocked suitcase to transport it to destination where its collected at the other end without anyones knowledge. Cable ties are best.

Travelled with locked cases all over the world....only had the one case broke by a worker at JFK airport in new York who done a random check...left a note in the case....I brought a lot of my locks from asda for around £3-4 for a 2 pack.

US airport security are now breaking security locks from suitcases and checking the inside of them, without suitcase owners being present.

Last time my wife went to US and came back, they cut through a 75 euro lock and went through all her clothes, without saying anything.

This should be illegal..

US airport security are now breaking security locks from suitcases and checking the inside of them, without suitcase owners being present.

Last time my wife went to US and came back, they cut through a 75 euro lock and went through all her clothes, without saying anything.

This should be illegal..

Doesnt really bother me....have nothing to hide...at the end of the day they are just doing their job.

Doesnt really bother me....have nothing to hide...at the end of the day they are just doing their job.

I also have nothing to hide.. but it bothers me, having to pay for locks everytime I travel to/from the US.

Imagine I had a 2k USD laptop there, with company confidential documents.. and it disappeard.. who would I charge? US Airport Security, flight personel or destination country security personel?

Privacy violation is a crime.. and if they suspect anything, they need a warrant to invade private property... or at least politely ask the suitcase owner to open it. It's more polite and it generates less anger.

I also have nothing to hide.. but it bothers me, having to pay for locks everytime I travel to/from the US.

Imagine I had a 2k USD laptop there, with company confidential documents.. and it disappeard.. who would I charge? US Airport Security, flight personel or destination country security personel?

Privacy violation is a crime.. and if they suspect anything, they need a warrant to invade private property... or at least politely ask the suitcase owner to open it. It's more polite and it generates less anger.

If it was of value you would carry it in your carry on baggage.

You can't take everything with you, inside the plane, can you?

Don't try and justify their actions.. because they are plain unpolite and in privacy violation.

Strange thread.............If you put valuables in your hold baggage then you are asking for them to get broken/stolen, I can't imagine anyone opening a suitcase to steals clothes and shoes ?

I certainly won't be putting a laptop in mine or even the hard drives from my home PC, basically nothing of value.....................if you can't manage all your valuable items in your carry on you need to seriously cut down on your gadget obsession ! :laugh:

I have never locked my cases for these same reasons !

Guest Trueblue22

I always worry about someone putting stuff into my cases, but I guess there is no fool-proof way of avoiding this or having things stolen. However you secure your cases if someone wants to get into them then they will.

My parents always mention this. I assume people are worried about drug smuggling, but I can't see how it's practical. They would have to sneek the stuff through security in order to put it in your bag (probably not that hard for someone who works there), but then they have to get it off you on the other side. How would they know who you are? Most suitcases look pretty much the same, and the baggage handlers wouldn't see you.

I always worry about someone putting stuff into my cases, but I guess there is no fool-proof way of avoiding this or having things stolen. However you secure your cases if someone wants to get into them then they will.

Archived