Spiders in Perth?!

GM89

Hi all

Not that I will decide not to move to Perth if there are spiders there and this probably sounds pathetic ........BUT.........

I have arachnophobia unfortunately.

What's the spider situation in Perth??

I am not that fussed about how deadly they are strangely but how big, hairy and fast they are!!

Thanks!

Guest guest17301

Hi GM89

Well spiders are unfortunately a fact of life here BUT the poisonous ones are as keen to avoid you as you are them to be honest. Redbacks hide around flowerpots and under outdoor furniture, Huntsmen tend to come out at night, big hairy and fast but thankfully harmless....Wolf spiders seem to be the most common in our house but harmless as far as I know, I just trap them under a glass and wait for OH to release them..only see them as often as we did in the UK, maybe once every few weeks? Theres one called an orb spider I think, only seen after dark...big and tends to make its web in between trees and bushes....don't go walking through your garden in the dark, Ive walked into many a web...eeek!

Sounds worse than it is...I had serious concerns prior to coming here and used to break into a sweat at the sight of an eight legged freak but now Im more chilled...theyre no more of a problem than they were in England. Spray the perimeter of your home every few months with a DIY spray and it seems to keep the numbers down. They do eat the flies and other pesky bugs though so not all bad...

Unfortunately they are EVERYWHERE!!

th?id=I5030622846781620&pid=1.7&w=216&h=154&c=7&rs=1

:arghh:

j

u

s

t

kidding!

probably the sad thing is that we pose more threat to them and their habitat, the spider int he picture above was recently discovered(in israel) but now threatened due to mining. May go extinct even

a bit sad really.

Guest carole38

Jove, My laptop nearly got tossed across the room.

We have been in Perth since january & havent seen any yet. Touch wood that i never do!

Carole

Guest guest17301

I have a great pic of one I found under a public toilet seat soon after moving here, Ill see if I can get it onto the thread

.....Wolf spiders seem to be the most common in our house but harmless as far as I know, I just trap them under a glass and wait for OH to release them..only see them as often as we did in the UK, maybe once every few weeks? ....

You trap spiders every few weeks? I'm surprised...I've only seen 1 or 2 this year in the house and have never trapped a spider from memory...I feel like such a wimp...:biggrin:

We didn't see any spiders in Perth, however if you venture down south to the coast (ie Albany, Esperance, Denmark, that way) there are lots and lots of very very aggressive what we think are wolf spiders everywhere. I am terrified of spiders and had these very aggressive nasty looking, not so small beasts literally running at us and having a go (ie waving front legs around, grabbing onto stick used to gently try and move them away (hubby doesn't like hurting things even if I am a screaming mess in the corner, bless him!) and generally being quite scary) - so I would stay away from that part of WA. Apart from that though, we haven't really seen any - not a single one in Perth, we were camping as well in a few spots around Perth, and not a sausage.

You get your place sprayed anyway (or get a tuff cat) which minimises spidey action as well :)

Hey beny blu boy ,just noticed you furthered your application to aus today, well done. im in construction

cheers fella,yeah im on to the final stages......all the exams and tests are done now just got to wait for an invite,which should come pretty soon as im going for ss in wa.so we're hoping to get visas in a couple of months. was thinking about booking flights for the end of jan or do you think thats jumping the gun? just wanna get out there now! i see you have just come back from perth, how did you get on ?

We didn't see any spiders in Perth, however if you venture down south to the coast (ie Albany, Esperance, Denmark, that way) there are lots and lots of very very aggressive what we think are wolf spiders everywhere. I am terrified of spiders and had these very aggressive nasty looking, not so small beasts literally running at us and having a go (ie waving front legs around, grabbing onto stick used to gently try and move them away (hubby doesn't like hurting things even if I am a screaming mess in the corner, bless him!) and generally being quite scary) - so I would stay away from that part of WA. Apart from that though, we haven't really seen any - not a single one in Perth, we were camping as well in a few spots around Perth, and not a sausage.

You get your place sprayed anyway (or get a tuff cat) which minimises spidey action as well :)

There is only one way to deal with those pesky spiders and thats a size 10 boot from a great height.......adios spidey!:yes:

Guest Tamjb

We saw loads of spiders when we were in perth in may/June this year. Loads of redbacks around the outside of the house (& their big white eggs eugh) even saw redback in joondalup shopping centre but if you see one, stamp on it. Part of life over there I'm afraid.

We've been in Perth for almost a year, the only red back I've seen, was dead in someone else's garden! Haven't seen any in or around our house (it has been sprayed) would like to see a Huntsman, but preferably a long way from home! Didn't even see any nasties while using a public toilet in the middle of nowhere at Ayers Rock!

Haven't seen a single snake either, I would like to see one, but preferably over there ............ not by here.

Guest guest17301
You trap spiders every few weeks? I'm surprised...I've only seen 1 or 2 this year in the house and have never trapped a spider from memory...I feel like such a wimp...:biggrin:

We're a bit slack with the mortein bombs etc would probably see less if we were on it a bit more...what do you do when you see a spider then if you dont trap it?

Archived