Land down under..............

jhampa

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They play it quite a bit on our local station Wave105 and it always seems to be timed just right to pick us up from the stress of all this emigrating lark !:biggrin:

Men at Work are an awesome band as are Midnight Oil (Beds are Burning was my fave).....................Australia have produced some great music over the years !

Guest guest17301

Its such an Aussie classic...I remember when we were emigrating we used to watch a particular youtube vid of Perth with that track as the accompanying music.....have you seen the advert for the olympics with kids and groups of people singing it! Makes me proud and Im a Pom!

I remember in 1983 when the Americans were beaten for the first time in an America's Cup Challenge series....... Australia 11 was being towed out of Newport Rhode Island they played "I Come From a Land Downunder" loudly over loudspeakers on the support boat.....was a appropriate anthem for a fantastic occasion.Thumbs up.jpg

Thumbs up.jpg

Guest The Pom Queen
Actually anything but the boring dirge we have at the present would be nice.

Question for you SL either you or Bob should know. We heard Townsville Army band up at Cooktown and they played a song and I loved it, all I know is it had Australia in but wow. Any ideas on such little info to go on?

Question for you SL either you or Bob should know. We heard Townsville Army band up at Cooktown and they played a song and I loved it, all I know is it had Australia in but wow. Any ideas on such little info to go on?

It might have been Song of Australia. It is really beautiful and I have heard Army bands play it at things I have been to for my son.

it wasn't this one was it Kate....my actual preference for our National Anthem "I am Australian"

Guest The Pom Queen
it wasn't this one was it Kate....my actual preference for our National Anthem "I am Australian"

This would be my choice for the anthem, but I think Freckles Song of Australia may be the one, but the ones on You Tube don't sound as good lol

Magic FM keeps playing this....................... Im grinning like a fool on site .. never thought this song would do that to me :em4500:

[video=youtube_share;oqWOlTqn6YU]

We have this as our ringtone on the Works mobile, so we hear it morning, noon and night. Always make me smile though!!!!

Its such an Aussie classic...I remember when we were emigrating we used to watch a particular youtube vid of Perth with that track as the accompanying music.....have you seen the advert for the olympics with kids and groups of people singing it! Makes me proud and Im a Pom!

seen the advert makes me feel quite sick to be honest.men at work are one of my fav bands and the song by them is great but the advert is awful....great to see its not on as much now there doing so bad in the games

Oh dear Heaven..that's amazing! Just shed a tear :notworthy:

As an Aussie I have to agree with Sir Les this would get my vote for national anthem as well.

Would love to see it become a tradition where an Aboriginal opens the singing and then we all join in no matter where people are from.

Guest guest17301

Oh my goodness, if that were played at my citizenship ceremony I would be a wreck. I love it, heard it before at sons assembly. I like the bit about from all the lands we came and shared a dream. I think Australia is the place where people can share a common dream....its a land of plenty and I LOVE IT! God bless Australia. xx

Oh my goodness, if that were played at my citizenship ceremony I would be a wreck. I love it, heard it before at sons assembly. I like the bit about from all the lands we came and shared a dream. I think Australia is the place where people can share a common dream....its a land of plenty and I LOVE IT! God bless Australia. xx

Ah bless MunchKinella, I kinda understand as I just watched it three times in a row :)

I've long thought it should be played at every citizenship ceremony Fiona, it really is a tremendous unifying song.

I kind of have this vision of total focus on an aboriginal singer opening the song (and aboriginals in the crowd), and then different groups in the stadium singing the bit they relate to most (bushie, battler, from another land or whatever), and then everyone joining in the chorus, arms around shoulders for a huge finish. Better than girt by sea any day :)

One thing Aboriginals need more is a chance to play a part in national life representing Australia internationally in a position of positivity and respect. To have an aboriginal open every anthem (where possible) might make them feel more respected, and in turn may make some of our more inclusively-challenged non-aboriginal citizens have more respect. I would hope that it might play a small part in binding us tighter together as custodians of this place.

This one always has my Aussie hubby emotional now he is a resident of the UK.....often find him singing along at the computer <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wWhPtaFXnvA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ah bless MunchKinella, I kinda understand as I just watched it three times in a row :)

I've long thought it should be played at every citizenship ceremony Fiona, it really is a tremendous unifying song.

I kind of have this vision of total focus on an aboriginal singer opening the song (and aboriginals in the crowd), and then different groups in the stadium singing the bit they relate to most (bushie, battler, from another land or whatever), and then everyone joining in the chorus, arms around shoulders for a huge finish. Better than girt by sea any day :)

One thing Aboriginals need more is a chance to play a part in national life representing Australia internationally in a position of positivity and respect. To have an aboriginal open every anthem (where possible) might make them feel more respected, and in turn may make some of our more inclusively-challenged non-aboriginal citizens have more respect. I would hope that it might play a small part in binding us tighter together as custodians of this place.

great thoughts and would be great if that could happen..but the racism here in oz is second to none...and ive travelled a lot...maybe one day though eh

Guest guest17301

Did somebody say something? Yes, I love the national anthem too....hearing the kids sing it loud who know ALL the words stirs my soul too. Australia is a wonderful place to live for me and mine.

Archived