Land down under..............

jhampa

great thoughts and would be great if that could happen..but the racism here in oz is second to none...and ive travelled a lot...maybe one day though eh

I've travelled a lot as well and I disagree. Every country has different challenges to meet. Very difficult to measure though and sometimes our own nationalism blinds us when doing the comparison.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Magic FM keeps playing this....................... Im grinning like a fool on site .. never thought this song would do that to me :em4500:

[video=youtube_share;oqWOlTqn6YU]

Hello

I cant beleive seeing this we got our visa grant last wed morning and i had physio that aftenoon after shoulder surgery when this song came on in the waiting room.... took me back and put a huge smile on my face....

Actually anything but the boring dirge we have at the present would be nice.

Boring dirge? It's about a million times better than our awful Religious & Royalist rubbish! And how any nation can have in its anthem an entire verse dedicated to bending a substantial part of it to its will aganist theirs, I do not know

A sad side note to the Downunder song. Greg Ham (the guy in the tree playing the flute) was found dead in his home in Melbourne last April. The band had recently lost a court case over breach of copyright. It was claimed Greg Ham had pinched several notes from an old Australian children's song "Kookaburra Sits In The Odd Gumtree" and used it in the flute riff in Downunder. No cause of death was made known but suicide was suspected.

Boring dirge? It's about a million times better than our awful Religious & Royalist rubbish! And how any nation can have in its anthem an entire verse dedicated to bending a substantial part of it to its will aganist theirs, I do not know

That may be so but Advance Australia fair is still a boring dirge.

Guest Guest16631

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by *Fiona* viewpost-right.png

Oh my goodness, if that were played at my citizenship ceremony I would be a wreck. I love it, heard it before at sons assembly. I like the bit about from all the lands we came and shared a dream. I think Australia is the place where people can share a common dream....its a land of plenty and I LOVE IT! God bless Australia. xx

...........to express a love for song that sums up for you............the place you have decided to become a part of.............is admirable IMO............to feel the words sum up how you feel............shows how much you love and respect your new home.............thank you Fiona ......your enthusiasm is a wonderful thing..!.......tink x

Your happiness and pride in Aus should be spread out to all Fi. It's a pity that some that go to live in Aus (their adopted country) can still manage to make comment as if they don't want to be there and have no pride in said new country. [

I don't agree with the comment to which Fi has taken exception, and I think it's great that *she* has pride if she's committing herself to long term life here. Great stuff. But remember that not all living in Australia are "adopting a country" - they might just be living and working there for a bit. Why do you expect them to have pride in said new country? We're not all permanent migrants or prospective citizens. No idea about the circs of the commenter, don't really want to know, he seems to be pretty bitter so best just ignored but I don't see why everyone who happens to be here should be expected to love it

You live in the UK at the moment, don't you? Do you "well up" and feel huge stirrings of pride when you hear "God Save the Queen" or "Jerusalem"??? I wouldn't expect you to for a minute, you're a proud Aussie so no need

Your happiness and pride in Aus should be spread out to all Fi. It's a pity that some that go to live in Aus (their adopted country) can still manage to make comment as if they don't want to be there and have no pride in said new country. I think at the end of the day you have decided to live there so you should embrace it. Just like you do Fi.

If not the bumper sticker should apply.

I disagree that there should be a need to show, or even feel, pride. Not everyone is into it and that is fair enough. But equally I think picking on someone just because they expressed some harmless pride/enthusiasm for a place more often than not exposes a posters own nationalism they try to cloak in some more self-flattering clothes.

Guest guest17301

I well up at God save the Queen too....music stirs me....I also love the Queen. Wow Im so unfashionable.

Guest guest17301

...and Christmas songs too....especially the Bing Crosby one...what can I say..Im sensitive....and I think music is a really expressive medium for emotion and joy

Archived